Your Last Saturday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucec View Post
    i did 120 once, going to to rehab in 1978, was going down afton mountain and kept it going, was scared as shit
    In 1985, I had a Honda 750, and wanted to check the speedometer. There is a road between Waycross and Valdosta, GA that goes dead straight for about 15 miles, almost no traffic, and a mile marker every mile. I took the bike up to 120, but it took longer than 30 seconds to go a mile, so I kept upping the speed. The speedometer was registering 138 MPH before I could go a mile in 30 seconds. Scared the shit out of me later when I started thinking about a deer or rabbit bolting across the road in front of me, but it was fun doing it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

In keeping with my true talent for avoidance, I will honor the imperative to answer this thread over doing the work that was supposed to be on tap for tonight. So a quick and certainly incomplete list:

I regret:
      · not going home spring break senior year to see Grandma before she died;
      · saying neither to JG in 1994 nor GB in 1988, "but don't you kind of think we belong together?"
      · wasting a college semester critical to honing my academic focus and meeting promising guys studying in Spain instead;
      · not studying bioethics or history of science;
      · holding out on Tom only to lose it to Greg on the golf course just to get it over with;
      · not saying to my day camp counselor when she called me out in dodgeball and then justified herself with a lesson to me on perspective, "Sure, but why didn't you believe me when I told you I hadn't been hit?"
      · not having connected with MF the day we ran into each other walking home enough to discourage him from killing himself;
      · wasting my months off after my surgery writing my discrimination complaint (some ignorance is just not worth exposing) rather than at least a short story;
      · listening to the skeptical ER doctor and not doing methylprednisolone;
      · and of course – not noticing that floor was wet before I went on it on my crutches, and getting in that van.

I am happy though:
      · to have been such an awkward preteen that I spend most of junior high reading;
      · to have prioritized hanging out with my other grandmother before she died;
      · that my sister did the work of giving my parents grandchildren and me the joy of my nieces;
      · to have dated Rick and realized many of my outdoor adventuring aspirations before my body quit on me; and
      · that day-to-day encounters with random people the world can make life so much fun.

And Don, in what field do you do your emeriting.?

Comment

I'm in Geosciences, got my BA in Geology in '98, a Masters in Geography in '05, and have been working on a second Masters in Geology for 6 years now. We honored 4 of our Emeretii who are all 80 this year with a luncheon in February, and one gave me an Emeritus certificate. I got injured in March of '93 and started at the local CC in Jan '94, and have been going to school ever since.
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

That sounds like fun! Where do you fall on the global warming ‘debate’?

Sorry, reading the thread title again I realize I missed the whole point. Of course I would spend it with "the one." We would have a dinner party with a group of our closest friends, filled with uproarious laughter, and scintillating and cleverly meandering conversation. And then after we would celebrate each other's company in every rich dimension we could find.

But of course, I haven't yet found "the one." So the world can't end. Consider it my small little contribution to humanity.

Comment

I think I need some parameters or my post will out pace War and Peace.
            And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
              Oh just go for it Joe.

Comment

That's 1 mph faster than I took a 1988 Honda Hurricane. Indian River, Rd, a 45mph suburban road, crossing Provindence, Rd. I caught a little front wheel air. There was a cop sitting in the Texaco on the corner. I was off the bike with my helmet in my hands waiting quietly when he finally caught up with me. That's what being 17 and stupid looked like, for me.

Originally posted by Donno View Post
                In 1985, I had a Honda 750, and wanted to check the speedometer. There is a road between Waycross and Valdosta, GA that goes dead straight for about 15 miles, almost no traffic, and a mile marker every mile. I took the bike up to 120, but it took longer than 30 seconds to go a mile, so I kept upping the speed. The speedometer was registering 138 MPH before I could go a mile in 30 seconds. Scared the shit out of me later when I started thinking about a deer or rabbit bolting across the road in front of me, but it was fun doing it.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                  I regret not having a college education.
                  You write better than many who have one. Simply being a college graduate doesn't impress me in the least. An idiot can graduate from college {Sarah Palin!} by merely passing through below average. You think most people who go to college with athletic scholarships are there because of their brain power? Of course not! They go because they can kick a ball and win a game for the fucking school.

Comment

Another observation made by Chris Rock: The majority of students are in the middle. You have the five bright students, the five idiots, and all the rest are average.

Comment

I only have one regret and that is turning right and taking another route instead of following my friends the night of my accident.

Otherwise....I got to feel 120 in a stock '69 chevelle lots of times and I did those donuts under all the redlights in our little town (my witness will tell you...he had a blast and he was jealous). Six or so years later he talked my mom out of the car so he could do his own donuts LOL and the proceeds bought a new car.

I got to drive a drag car...

I got to ride in a car and not know how fast we were going and feel the nitrous oxide kick in...

But at 20 you are invincible

I got to feel 120 in a 1989 Camaro that had just a few thousand miles on the speedometer... but post accident my need for speed was conquered and over.

A new car will never ever ride like that 69 "road hugger"... My mom could tell when I had been burning rubber because she had the only car in town that could burn dual tires. I stayed in freakin trouble. If I left town somebody called her and reported me. But everybody sleeps sometime LOL
                      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
                        what do you regret (besides woman)
                        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Funny, I regret getting a college education. You can have mine, Linda!
                          I regret not having a college education.
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                            Funny, I regret getting a college education. You can have mine, Linda!
                            Thanks rdf! I do have an advanced degree from the school of hard knocks. If we learn from our mistakes I'm a genius.
                            I quit high school and left home for many reasons.

Comment

I never planned on going to college, and was doing quite damn well without it. But you can't plaster high rises from a wheelchair, ha. So when I was injured, I wheeled off to school and got a B.S. degree. I will admit I got a well-paying job because of it, but I've never made as much money nor had as much fun as when I was a plastering contractor.
                              Thanks rdf! I do have an advanced degree from the school of hard knocks. If we learn from our mistakes I'm a genius.
                              I quit high school and left home for many reasons.
                              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                                I only have one regret and that is turning right and taking another route instead of following my friends the night of my accident.
                                Likewise. I'll always regret the many red flags unnoticed prior to my operation (even though I was a minor), and then the many missed opportunities to correct what happened as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X