if one more mental health couns tells me a quad can't have a baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if one more mental health couns tells me a quad can't have a baby

i am going to scream more than i just did at him (and, if he thought that was screaming, he needs new line of work). he said, hey, wait a minute, you say you have 18 yr old yet have been quadriplegic 25 yrs? uh yeah, DUH. when i asked his def of quad, oh obvious, no use of arms or legs. and a quad can't carry a baby to term. wtf are these ppl?? are they educated at all?? geez. "i'm a mental health counselor" ergo i need know nothing bout disabilities. i could literally scream at any facility that certifies this mentality. lord help the hapless quad who runs across them and believes their uneducated spiel.

is this 2011 or 1911??

and yeah, guy, hope you took my advice and looked at this site. am sick of ppl judging me, calling me a liar, etc. educate yourself.
    Last edited by cass; 04-30-2011, 03:10 AM.

By your raction it sounds like he won't make that mistake again..it took you to open his eyes momma.

Comment

you go cass! really did ur uterus fall out when u had ur sci? i do not understand ppl in these attitudes
      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
      http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Was gonna say "whoa, what did I say??" but realized you meant it figuratively,, I hope. signed, Guy.

Comment

I think I am lucky if I meet a doctor or a nurse who knows what a spinal cord injury is. My daughter learn nothing at all after three years of nursing school.
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I got cramps so bad today.

Comment

Cass I wish I could scream but my voice does not allow me to some people dont understand life and think because a lady is a quad she is not able to

When I went to my Dr here I am with my feety in stirrups sheet draped over me and of all pops up lol looks at me and says all is good down there .....

Crypticgimp your uterus comment and Bente , Jody holy Moly lol todat I feel like cow dung and every ones replies made me about bust a gut

Comment

The lack of basic education out there around SCI is shocking. As if having a SCI has anything to do with ovaries.......

Comment

You should have slapped him up side the head just so he would know you were able to still pick up a baby and told him it was a just an autonomic reflex that only happened when in the presence of stupid ignorant people.
                  T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I was very surprised a couple of years ago when I was talking to a friend of ours; she's in her 80's. I mentioned that another friend, who has been paraplegic since she was a little girl, had a 12 year old child. Her response was "but why, if she doesn't have any feeling down there?" I realized that she couldn't imagine a woman might want to have sex at all - or a child - if she couldn't have an orgasm. Subsequently, a different friend pointed out to me that a large proportion of "normal" women around the world never have one, either.
                    - Richard

ps: I like Daisy's response!

Comment

I know I just went through and entire masters program on counseling and social work and never once was it mentioned. I even took a trauma course on helping people through traumatic events. It touched disability briefly, however it was mainly about disasters and rape.
                      If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I have a friend who just finished her master in disability, she did not have anything about SCI either. I don't think we exist...
                        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Reminds me of when I was first injured. The surgeon who operated on my spine decided to inform me that I "could still get pregnant". I answered, "No, I can't".

He got a serious look on his face and looked as if he was going to go into the spinal cord injured version of the birds & bees. When he started to talk, I interrupted him and told him I'd had my tubes tied several years prior. It was too good an opportunity not to make him squirm a lil.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
                          - Barack Obama

Comment

Flica, that is funny it's like a woman can't feel everything so they can't go thru childbirth. I think there needs to be more information out there about SCI, honestly until I got hurt I thought people just got paralyzed, I wish I would have known more, I live in such a small town here only older people need wheelchair or walker.

When I get better I want to volunteer here at a large nursing home. maybe help in the kitchen or just visit with the people that might need a smile or a hug.
                            JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
                              I know I just went through and entire masters program on counseling and social work and never once was it mentioned. I even took a trauma course on helping people through traumatic events. It touched disability briefly, however it was mainly about disasters and rape.
                              that is really disturbing, addie, considering the number and age of sci (not to mention other disabilities) in the u.s. alone. i hope many turn to cc/web rather than counselors.

really pisses me off that the basic message of quadriplegic/paraplegic is not understood or reported in media, but in so called prof fields, it is inexcusable. there are levels and it is impairment. lord help me if i had mentioned walking quads to this "professional." i'd prob be in mental hospital now. he said paraplegics can't walk, quads have no use of arms or legs. geesh. maybe i should report him, i dunno.
                              Last edited by cass; 05-02-2011, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X