No announcement yet.

Handicap Parking at sonics drive-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This type of thing is so common. People responsible do not think at all about accessibility, and don't have awareness training included in their corporate training or orientation. They may do "diversity" training, but this often includes only racial or ethnic training, and not training that includes other diverse populations, including PWD.

I often seen "accessible" bathrooms that were built right (turning radius, grab bars, toilet height, etc.) but have access to transferring to the toilet blocked by trash cans, other furniture, storage (often of toddler high chairs), etc. in these bathrooms, totally cancelling out the idea of true accessiblity.

I always ask to speak to the manager, and sometimes get action, but it is a constant battle, esp. around the issues of "path of travel" in stores and within restaurants.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

There are other problems with this handicapped parking space. The wheelchair symbol is not painted on the pavement and there is not a sign on a pole, at a specified height, in front of the space displaying the "handicapped symbol" siting that it is a handicapped only parking space according the "statue xxx" and "all other vehicles will be towed," etc,. etc., etc. The paint doesn't look to be the regulation color of blue. And, is it possible that with your ramp deployed you would be getting off of the ramp onto the incline of the ramp (hard to tell in a photo).

I would definitely bring these additional factors to their attention and to the attention of your local building code office.

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
        Same here jc. I guess it's their national policy to have 20" between all the racks.
        I once read that a call to the Fire Marshall's office will get quick results, because the Fire Marshall has minimum access widths for aisles that stores have to adhere to. It's also more expedient than filing an ADA complaint with the DOJ.

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
          i jumped on their web and left a comment about it, also stated aI had a pic to send, since you can't submit a pic under the conntact us section, guess we'll see what happens tomorrow
          When you have this problem; copy and paste the CareCure link to the picture. They will see the pic and if they read the other posts they will see how others feel about the issue.

Try this email Confidential, dedicated e-mail address: whistleblower@sonicdrivein.com
          Last edited by wang; 20 Apr 2011, 7:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wang View Post
            When you have this problem; copy and paste the CareCure link to the picture. They will see the pic and if they read the other posts they will see how others feel about the issue.
            great idea, thanks
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
              I once read that a call to the Fire Marshall's office will get quick results, because the Fire Marshall has minimum access widths for aisles that stores have to adhere to. It's also more expedient than filing an ADA complaint with the DOJ.
              going in there and pushes the racks around and knocking stuff over is good for stress relief, plus it's funnier than hell cause they get mad, but like offering help, nobody will say anything.

Comment

i love the "accessible" stalls that would be great but the door opens in, so once ur chair is there u cant shut the door

scorpion that's a great idea re fire marshall
                "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                  going in there and pushes the racks around and knocking stuff over is good for stress relief, plus it's funnier than hell cause they get mad, but like offering help, nobody will say anything.
                  True, true.

cryptic - I hate those stalls, too.

Comment

I bet if you just brought it to their attention at the drive-in that they would move it. It a simple but polite way to help others understand. We don't have tioo be hard ass wheelers all the time.

It's a learning moment.

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Our local BJs has a well designed h/c parking setup, next to the building that just morphs into a walkway (rollway?) to the entrance. Of course, where do they store the carts? Yup, so you have to go out to the lot to go around the carts. Not that big deal, but totally negates the design on the parking.
                      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by wheelchairTITAN View Post
                        I bet if you just brought it to their attention at the drive-in that they would move it. It a simple but polite way to help others understand. We don't have tioo be hard ass wheelers all the time.

It's a learning moment.
                        yes, but seems it would be wiser to bring it up to corporate so maybe the whole organization would take notice
                        and I was very polite in my comments

matter of fact, i heard from their customer support main office, also got a email this morning from the actual store manager, so i sent them both the picture and asked them to remember us
                        so it worked out great
                        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

You handled it well brucec and it seems like the outcome will be favorable for everyone involved.

My wheeler flash mob suggestion was a little premature.

Comment

My local Sonic has the same types of issues (trash cans and table placement). Not to mention the location of the poles from the roofing. At least there are usable tables at the one in the picture. Only the solid mount seating tables at ours.

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
                              no, a chair could not fit between the table and trashcan, and if they were thinking you could eat at the table, i'm sure they would have put one of those other tables with the unattached chairs.
                              i'm sure it was a oversight, hate to think if the weheelchair had to go to the restroom
                              I had the same problem at greenfield village a few yars ago and just moved the trashcan over to much and fell of the crub and tip over.
                              Me and my son went to find a table and ate. I few minutes later someone came over and as me why I did it told them why.
                              He said ohh and never thought about it and they moved it outa the way after.
                              If he was gona give me any grief I would have asked for a manger or I would have gone up as far as I could...or even call the cops....I don't give a dam after 30 years I just don't put up with that shit no more.
                              Art
                              Art

Comment

glad to say I stopped by again after work,
                                and the table is moved and there is a clear path up to the store
                                I fell like I accomplished something good, made my day
                                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X