No announcement yet.

Disabled Parking Placard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the finger for parking in handicap parking all the time. Honestly, I can walk fine. I just pee my pants if I walk more than 100 feet. At work I always park in handicap parking… I don’t want to pee my pants every time I go to and from my car at work. Walking only short distance helps me stay dry and clean.
    Maybe the rant should be that we need more handicap parking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue132 View Post
      To all: My younger brother had a handicapped parking tag. He could "apparently" walk perfectly fine for a few minutes or so; enough to walk into a store without looking like a disabled person (except he was gasping for breath!). No wheelchair, no limp, just a three chambered heart and deformed major aortic and pulmonary vessels. He had a very hard time walking further than from a close parking spot. He died at age 19 from a massive heart attack and associated aneurysm. People don't need to limp, use a chair, or hobble to need a placard STFU! Wheelchairs and limps don't define a disability! Yes, there are those who abuse the system. But PLEASE be cautious before you pass judgement on someone who doesn't happen to be in a chair.
      I think we all know about the hidden disabilities. It is the ones that go beyond logic that gets to people.

I can't figure out the skier who hits the slopes. Or those that take a reserved spot with others nearby, but walk lond distances no problem.

Very sorry about the loss of your brother.
      Adaptive Sports Forums.com
      http://adaptivesportsforums.com
      Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

reisabled Parking Placard

OMG YES!!!! I post images of them on my Facebook regularly. I have had people who were VERY offended I'd post such things tell me you can't always see the disability. One lady was pregnant and didn't even have a card, I posted it on FB. Then a lady sees it, tells me she had this and that wrong with her and needed that card. I told her if she can walk around a store with no consequence, she does NOT need a handicapped card. It really really infuriates me!!!!

Rachelle

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
        I have no idea where this post/rant should go so the moderators can feel free to move it.

Does anyone else in here get totally p$ssed off when they see someone get out of their vehicle that parked in a handicapped spot and walk to where they need to go, even if they have a disabled placard/sign in their mirror?

I work in a building that has roughly 400 employees. There are 6-7 handicapped spots and I'm the only one in a wheelchair deserving of such a spot. Everyone else works the system, gets a placard and is allowed to park there. It's such BS!! And it's not just at work, I see it everywhere.

Why do DMVs, doctors, etc. give permission to anyone and everyone for these parking passes? Is it because they were so lazy in their life that now their overweight, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and they can't walk more than 10 feet without collapsing? It's complete crap!

I can understand if someone is elderly, but people that are still in the work force who are fat and lazy and on 10 medications just to keep them alive are allowed to park in a handicapped spot. It's not right.

I work out twice a day, without the use of my legs. Why can't these people? Their prescriptions should be for a gym membership, not Lipitor!

Park in the disabled spot, put your placard in the window, then get out of your car and walk to where you need to go. It should be against the law!

Comment

You are a good person!!!

Comment

its only needed for the extra room to get in/ out of car with chair....someone who might look fine from a distance maybe has a breathing problem, after all, its easier for me to roll a little further than for them to walk it
            - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Originally posted by Sue132 View Post
              To all: My younger brother had a handicapped parking tag. He could "apparently" walk perfectly fine for a few minutes or so; enough to walk into a store without looking like a disabled person (except he was gasping for breath!). No wheelchair, no limp, just a three chambered heart and deformed major aortic and pulmonary vessels. He had a very hard time walking further than from a close parking spot. He died at age 19 from a massive heart attack and associated aneurysm. People don't need to limp, use a chair, or hobble to need a placard STFU! Wheelchairs and limps don't define a disability! Yes, there are those who abuse the system. But PLEASE be cautious before you pass judgement on someone who doesn't happen to be in a chair.
              I'm not talking about instances like this, and I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. It's the people who abuse the system and who are lazy that annoy me. I never specifically said you needed to "see" something (i.e. a cane, wheelchair) etc. to have a parking placard. However, having something like that does make it immediatley ok to the casual handicapped observer like myself.

When I see grown men and women 100 pounds overweight using a placard because they can't get out of their own way, that's the point of this rant and thread! They did it to themselves and now need a hand out parking pass!

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                I get the finger for parking in handicap parking all the time. Honestly, I can walk fine. I just pee my pants if I walk more than 100 feet. At work I always park in handicap parking… I don’t want to pee my pants every time I go to and from my car at work. Walking only short distance helps me stay dry and clean.
                Maybe the rant should be that we need more handicap parking.
                Assuming your a guy, why don't you where a bag with a condom cath? Problem solved.
                Last edited by Megatron; 13 Apr 2011, 1:37 PM. Reason: didn't list a critical assumption

Comment

It pisses me off when I see someone get out of their car in 4" heels. It makes me want to go knock them down! People where I work complain about not having enough handicap parking spots but yet it is not thier placard in the first place. We have placards in both of our cars and we NEVER use a handicap spot unless we have Sarah with us. The placard is HERS and only HERS!! I would never think of abusing it! I know you can not judge a book by its cover, but seriously! Seeing someone in high heels get out of the closest handicap spot and strut to the door is a little much for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                    When I see grown men and women 100 pounds overweight using a placard because they can't get out of their own way, that's the point of this rant and thread! They did it to themselves and now need a hand out parking pass!
                    By saying someone has done it to themselves is not always true, as there may be instances when a person may have a medical condition that's actually caused them to be over weight and yes I know that due to them being over weight can cause them to have medical conditions. So unless you know the persons medical history, you really never know what, or why they look the way they do.

Comment

Simply roll up to them and ask them to pray with you. Hold their hands with yours in the middle of the car lot and say a prayer to the Lord to pray that you will both be healed from your disabilities. Smile and then send them on their way.

If they are the real deal then you did a nice (but kinda creepy) thing.

If they are fakers then they just got really shamed and embarassed.....which is fun

Comment

Originally posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
                        By saying someone has done it to themselves is not always true, as there may be instances when a person may have a medical condition that's actually caused them to be over weight and yes I know that due to them being over weight can cause them to have medical conditions. So unless you know the persons medical history, you really never know what, or why they look the way they do.
                        Fault should have nothing to do with who gets a disabled badge. I gave myself an SCI. Can't blame anyone else for the fact my brake lever fell off my motorcycle......I think many SCI's were what you might term "misadventure". Overeating is misadventure also....

Comment

i'm with the OP. there are way too many people who abuse this system. Of course, it's never going to stop. Anytime you have a system, there will be those who abuse it. IE: our country's health care.

they should put the spaces in the back of the parking lot. i don't care about the distance. i just want to have a spot where i won't get blocked in.
                          http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                            Fault should have nothing to do with who gets a disabled badge. I gave myself an SCI. Can't blame anyone else for the fact my brake lever fell off my motorcycle......I think many SCI's were what you might term "misadventure". Overeating is misadventure also....
                            I never said it did, you seemed to of missed the point I was trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
                              I never said it did, you seemed to of missed the point I was trying to make.
                              Well, I support what you were saying, sorry if I came accross like I didn't. And yes, I have misunderstood many a post in my time.

I actually do not have a problem with obese people (who have related disabilities like bad knees or backs etc) having disabled badges.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                                Well, I support what you were saying, sorry if I came accross like I didn't. And yes, I have misunderstood many a post in my time.

I actually do not have a problem with obese people (who have related disabilities like bad knees or backs etc) having disabled badges.
                                It's OK, don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X