Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quite proud of myself, thank you very much! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite proud of myself, thank you very much! :)

Nearly every single house in my neighborhood has a bunch of steps to the front door. Over the years, when there has been a meeting that I get invited to at someone's house, I just don't go (occasionally I agree to be carried up the stairs). Anyway, tomorrow night there is a meeting for the parents of this group that my daughter is in. It's at someone's house. I just sent an email to everyone and I asked if it would be possible to have this meeting at a wheelchair accessible location so that I could attend. The library perhaps. A local church maybe. Normally I don't like being a pain in the ass, but I'm sick of being the dog that tucks it's tail and rolls over exposing it's belly.

It's going to be interesting to see how people respond. I predict they will say, "We can carry you up the stairs!" I don't f-ing want to be carried.

You go girl! Stick to your guns and ask for accomodation that is accessible.

Comment

Response:

"I will ask Heidi if we can use the school for the meeting. Not sure if it will be unlocked though - but whatever the case, we'll find a wheelchair accessible place. I'll let people know that the location will be announced."

Yay!

Comment

Yay!!

Comment

That's great Shannon
          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I know it seems like a little thing, but it's unlike the ways I've always handled such situations in the past.

Comment

Excellent! I don't think it's a small thing at all, it's major!
              MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

No, it's awesome. It really makes people realize the crap we go through on a daily.

Comment

It is not a little thing, it is a big thing. I never want to be carried either, the only time is when it is a meeting at the school for my small one and his father is doing it. I have hit my head a couple of times too much because they have lost me.

And into the shop if it is two or three steps they can drag me
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

That's great to "stand up" for yourself!
                    Rich

Comment

Way to go. I am proud of you too!!!

Comment

Shannon, way to persevere!

A change of venue should not be a BIG deal.
                        Last edited by PN; 25 Jan 2011, 8:30 PM.
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                        --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                        ––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

That's great--it gets frustrating when others don't have reasoning skills to figure out such things ahead of time, when knowing the individuals that have been invited.

Comment

Yay! I'm glad to read this, but irked at the fact that it's never crossed any of your neighbours' minds before (in YEARS?!)! It took you saying it! But it's good.

Comment

You are being very reasonable. There are real risks involved in being carried up stairs for both you and your carriers. It is a damned shame people are still so unaware that they have to be asked. Some things have not changed much since the 1950s, that is, people's heads.
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X