Wheelchair users suffering a fate worse than death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair users suffering a fate worse than death

"Drink driving is a serious problem among youths.
    The believe nothing can happen to them.
    They are not afraid to die.
    HELP wanted to change this attitude by reminding youths of a fate worse than death."

This is a message in a campaign poster against drunk driving in Malaysia.

The poster and my view is in my blog here: http://wp.me/paXkN-o6
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Parts of the poster with the offensive messages.

[img]/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37850&d=1290080489[/img]

[img]/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37851&d=1290080501[/img]
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Comment

Interesting! I dig it. It's so politically incorrect and in-your-face, how can anyone not love it?

Comment

Same here, I think it's appropriate. Seems the kids now a days need this in your face to get the message across.

Comment

I agree 100% with the msg. Death is easy. Easy on the victim. Waaayyy easier on the family.

There are fates worse than death and sci is arguably amongst the cruelest of fates.

I write from "Enlightened" North America. Imagine being a quad in Malaysia. No offence, Peter.
          Last edited by CowboyCrip; 18 Nov 2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Wow, surprised at the others responses, personally I'm with you on this Peter, my life is not anywhere near that bad and certainly not worse then death. If I thought I'd be better off dead then I would have found a way to kill myself again.

This reminds me of a time in college when I was sitting around my house with 4 or 5 friends who I'd also gone to high school with. Two were my room mates and another 2 were twins and all 4 where in my wedding as best men/groomsmen. Well 3 or 4 days earlier a friend of the twins older brother had a wreck, we got a call on this day to let us know that he was going to be a in a chair, T4/5 injury. To say that the reaction from me and from them was different would be a understatement. One of them, who'd been my roommate now for 3 years, said (yes I remember it word for word) "Damn, I'd rather die then get stuck like that the rest of my life". Two of the other guys agree'd with him right away.

Now I've never been one for allowing words to hurt me or effect me in anyway, but this time they did. Without thinking, their true feelings came out. Of course my thinking was that it was great that his injury was going to be low and that he didn't have a head injury like they had initially thought he was going to have.

So even though these guys had been around me at this time for 4-5 years in a chair and seen all of the things that I could and would do, some things that even they wouldn't attempt to do, they still had a feeling that it was better to be dead then confined to a wheelchair. Sadly the guy must have felt the same way as he'd never let me come talk to him and when he left rehab he moved in with his mom and from my understanding laid around getting drunk every day and letting her care for him. That's been over 10 years ago, so I'm hoping things have changed for him by now.
            Most everything I say is

Comment

It is a good ad to scare kids, but a sad/backwards message to people about life in a chair.
              Then again, there are people on this forum that would rather be dead than a high level quad.

Comment

I've learned to deal with this mess but then again I'm quite functional for c7, if i was stuck in a power chair i'm not sure how my out look on life would be
                Injured:10-16-04
                C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                Blog:
                http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                Progress:
                http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                My drawings:
                http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee View Post
                  I've learned to deal with this mess but then again I'm quite functional for c7, if i was stuck in a power chair i'm not sure how my out look on life would be
                  I think you would make the best of it Corey.

Comment

I'll bet that most of us would say that we'd rather be dead than crippled before it happens, I know that was the way that I thought. When they told me that I was completely paralyzed from the nipples down, my opinion changed and I knew that I was glad that I was still going to live.

Don
                    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                    T3 ASIA A 28 years post injury

Comment

My issue is not with the anti-drunk driving campaign. What disgusts me is how wheelchair users are portrayed. When they say we are suffering a fate worse than death, they are in effect saying we are better off dead than wallowing the rest of our lives in a wheelchair.

TexasWheelz's and Donno's experiences are good examples. That is the general perception society at large has of disabled people. Should we accept such misconceptions or should we educate people that, although being in a wheelchair is an inconvenience, we still value life and are determined to live it to the fullest?
                      Tilite ZRA Series 2
                      The DIGITAL AWAKENING
                      Living One Day At A Time
                      www.petertan.com/blog/

Comment

educate them, peter. this is so similar to nike ad here in states (i'll find it) that was pulled due to similar misconceptions. these ppl really ought to be ashamed for this type of message. i have a teenage son. i agree w/educating them that death is not the only consequence of irresponsible driving. but saying better dead than disabled goes over the line. btw, my son wouldn't even be here had the accident killed me. i am c7 and gave birth to him 6 yrs later. i resent and reject anything that says or implies my 24 yrs of being a disabled person, engineer and 18 yrs of being a disabled mom is a fate worse than death.

here it is:

http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/extra/nikead.htm
                        Last edited by cass; 18 Nov 2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee View Post
                          i sure hope you are joking.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                            educate them, peter. this is so similar to nike ad here in states (i'll find it) that was pulled due to similar misconceptions. these ppl really ought to be ashamed for this type of message. i have a teenage son. i agree w/educating them that death is not the only consequence of irresponsible driving. but saying better dead than disabled goes over the line. btw, my son wouldn't even be here had the accident killed me. i am c7 and gave birth to him 6 yrs later. i resent and reject anything that says or implies my 24 yrs of being a disabled person, engineer and 18 yrs of being a disabled mom is a fate worse than death.

here it is:

http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/extra/nikead.htm
                            I'm not sure of the best route for combating the Malaysia ad, but I wish that in 2000 a bunch of us had contacted Adidas and asked them if they would like to do a commercial featuring wheelchair users in exuberant outdoor activity, being “exhilarated in mood and feeling.”

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                              i sure hope you are joking.
                              I assure you he is not, and I think most of us ponder such things. Cory isn't saying those in power chairs aren't worth living, he is merely expressing how much poorer his outlook on life might be if he were in a worse way. That's very human in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X