Hope on Two Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope on Two Wheels

My BMW motorcycle went into a shipping container yesterday-- it's headed for Germany. Who would have thought that life would let this happen...

Today is my seven-year anniversary. On the night of November 7, 2003, I crashed hard during an indoor motocross race. Three vertebrae trashed (T1-3), spinal cord messed-up, traumatic brain injury, broken ribs, punctured lung. etc. etc. I was unconscious and my wife was stunned. Hours of delusion. Days in the ICU. Weeks of surgeries. Months in the hospital. Years of rehab. Depression: they said I would never walk again. More depression: my wife left. Now, seven years to the night. Life is good.

Hope-- the stuff that hospitals have a hard time giving. Hope-- a future worth living. Hope-- I'll make it.

The speech therapists helped me get my voice back. Hope.

The occupational therapists taught me new living skills. Hope.

The physical therapists didn't have much to work with. NO Hope.
    Wait-- that's not fair. Their Hope was about adapting to my new body. I wanted more.

Now, seven years later, I have more. I'm back in the shop. It took hundreds of hours to get my BMW1150GS into road shape because I am so slow with a wrench now. I can't hold a bike up at a stop sign anymore, so I adapted. The bike has a sidecar now. Make it happen one bit at a time.

I'm back on the seat. Miles of Smiles is my new motto. Yes, I walk with a cane now and it's ugly. But it gets me to the gas pump. It didn't happen overnight. Years of working out six days a week. Be patient.

I'm back on the road. Next summer I'll be riding in Europe: Germany, England, Spain and beyond. Seven years ago this was out of the question. But Hope is not about the now; it's about the future. So put up with all the crap and see the possibility of change. That's Hope.

So what's the message here? Sometimes it takes years of adjustment to find a smile. Hope lets that happen.

Hang in There...
    Ramey 'Coach' Stroud
    Oregon, USA

Hi "Ramey,"
    Welcome to Care Cure Community. Sorry about the motorcycle accident, but you traveled through the recovery and rehabilitation tunnel and came out smiling on the other side. Good for you. Hope all your hopes and plans come true.

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

Hey Ramey, That was a good post. I enjoyed hearing your story and everything you have accomplished.

Comment

Hey Ramey, good post! I'm 17 years into it, and because I'm T3 complete, I elected to go for acceptance and adaptation rather than hope. In both cases, it seems that a positive attitude won the day - goodonya. Have a great time touring Europe, and be careful on the roundabouts.

Don
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

awsome Ramey. looks like you got the bike set up good for you. good luck in your europe journey. I`m also a T3 but a complete from a nasty bike wreck too last year. But as bikers we never give up, I elected to get a 09 Canam spyder to ride. I miss two wheels but as you know it`s awsome to get the wind thru your hair.

good luck.
          Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramey View Post
            Now, seven years to the night. Life is good.
            yeah man! Thanks for the post, I'm going on 15 months post-SCI, C7 quad. I too was on a dirtbike. Your post gives me hope, thanks a ton for that. Make sure you come home with a hot European woman.

Comment

Hope is my motivational goal
              Ramey Sooo kool
              I love motorcycles also and definitely know where youre coming from
              Tipping my helmet to yours
              Dedication and Passion keeps my heart going and I was thinking of doing the old vintage harley military side car idea ..... Still pondering in my mind ...

Theres something about freedom and rolling

Live to Ride Ride to Live
              Sincerely ;
              GL

Comment

Hi Ramey,

T'was my R90S Beemer that took me from 2 wheels to 4. Actually not, t'was the bitch who made the infamous left-hand turn into my lane of travel. All I had time to think was "Oh my...". Not even enough time for the word "God"! I refer to her as a bitch because she never sent me a simple "get well" card or even mumbled an insincere apology. Probably on orders from her insurance company but that's no excuse according to my ethics.

Since this is the "Happy" thread I'll limit my bitchin' to those few sentences.

If I had the money I'd get a trike set up for cruising and come along with you. I've never been to Europe. We could stop in and say "Hi" to WFE and a few other CC Europeans. I'm 31 years post injury but still a spry 55 year old T-4. Unlike you, I was a T-4 when they scraped me off the road back in '79 and remain the same today. I'm glad you got back quite a bit of return. Be safe on your trip and don't forget that they drive on the wrong side of the road over there.

Take care Coach,

Bob.
                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

The Long Road Back

Hi All,

It was a year ago that I posted about shipping my motorcycle and sidecar to Europe. It arrived and I travel to Germany last May to begin a journey.

Actually the journey had begun many years before. For years I had dreamed and prayed and worked and sweat to get out of my wheelchair. After 1,000's of trips down the parallel bars and countless hours on the suspended treadmill I did. Oh, and after so much e-stim I now glow in the dark.

So then what? I crashed racing motorcycles so it was only logical (stupid?) to go back to two wheels. But it is too hard for me now to hold a bike up at stops. I'm walking but it's ugly and with a cane. So I hung a sidecar on my rally bike and now I don't have to put my feet down at stops. And I learned to get on and off and drive with special controls.

This summer that bike and I wheeled & hobbled around Europe and the United Kingdom and North Africa. And it was a solo ride. No care-givers. No PT's. Just one man wanting to be self-sufficient. Twenty countries, twenty thousand kilometers over 20 weeks, alone on the bike physically. But in reality you all were in the sidecar with me. WE did it together as a community.

I remember a few years back when I couldn't even wipe my own butt. I almost gave up. Many times I almost quit. But I kept thinking about how we all are facing the same challenges. That we as a community support each other and so I wasn't alone. I also realized that I had been training for rehab all my life. Rehab is just like getting ready for a big race like the Baja1000. And I have prepared for literally 1,000's of races over thirty years of competition. There are no guarantees that all the time and effort will pay off. You just pump the iron and keep training on the hope that you can start and finish and maybe win.

All the time in the gym and all the effort learning how to live with a different body is the race you are training for. So keep going. Don't lose hope. NEVER quit. And someday you'll be telling us about your adventures. Whatever that is, go for it... and take us with you.

I'll return to the Netherlands next year and finish my around-the-world sidecar journey. So pack your bags our trip is not over.

Thank-you My Friends,
                  Ramey 'Coach' Stroud

Comment

Great story. Congratulations on your accomplishment..

Onward & Upward,

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the update Ramey! Sounds like it was a great trip. The great part is that even if there were less than stellar days, you only have to tell us about (and remember) the good ones!
                      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by Ramey View Post
                        Hi All,

All the time in the gym and all the effort learning how to live with a different body is the race you are training for. So keep going. Don't lose hope. NEVER quit. And someday you'll be telling us about your adventures. Whatever that is, go for it... and take us with you.

I'll return to the Netherlands next year and finish my around-the-world sidecar journey. So pack your bags our trip is not over.

Thank-you My Friends,
                        Ramey 'Coach' Stroud
                        Congrats! Hope, sure. And good fortune too. Sparing is a matter of luck. What we do with any sparing we are fortunate enough to have IS, truly, a matter of work and hope.

Congrats again.
                        My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Good for you Ramey!!! I to am an X-Motocross star my dad always kept telling me "your going to screw your back up on that thing" I raced 125cc and 250cc outdoors the only indoor close to us was in Seattle, WA we went a few times.. sure showed my dad I fell thru a roof and broke my back.... I would LOVE to take a lone ride we went on our honey moon on a GL1000 back in the day... Most of all enjoy yourself...

Comment

thats awesome how far you have come and that your riding again. Im one more person that got a sci from an indoor motocross race. Just like you i feel like all of my training for mx never stopped. now instead of winning its about walking haha but having that same drive definitely helps out
                            c6 inc since 2-19-11
                            ex pro-am motocross racer
                            tilite aero z s2

Comment

Working...
                            X