Spanish help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish help

Can someone tell me how to say ‘reacquaint’? Or maybe there's a better word to translate from. All of my usual online dictionaries now seem to want you to download crap and give too much blood. All I want is a word.

In fact, this was my attempt to say it. Would you improve it? It doesn't have to be perfect, just realistic for me and not embarrassingly incorrect. I have no idea whether reconocer is even a word.

Pase un semestre en espana. Hace mucho tiempo, pero me gustaria reconocerme otra vez con la lengua y cultura.
    Last edited by Random; 08-06-2010, 07:03 PM.

I would translate it as "retomar el contacto con la lengua y la cultura".

Comment

reencontrarme

eta: translates to reconnect.

Pase un semestre en espana. Hace mucho tiempo, pero me gustaria reencontrarme otra vez con la lengua y cultura.
      Last edited by rdf; 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM.
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
        reencontrarme

eta: translates to reconnect.

Pase un semestre en espana. Hace mucho tiempo, pero me gustaria reencontrarme otra vez con la lengua y cultura.
        According to my dictionary, reunirse is more appropriate as it means to do so intentionally, whereas encontrarme is to encounter by accident.

Comment

Have you tried http://dictionary.reference.com/

Comment

Hi! I didn't notice this.

For an accurate translation you should provide your english sentence, but from what you wrote in spanish I would say it like this:

"Pasé un semestre en España. Hace ya mucho tiempo, pero me gustaría reencontrarme otra vez con la lengua y cultura."

So rdf won the prize!

Le Type you were close and it's correct that reunirse describes more intention but it's only accepted when you talk about people. It comes from the word "reunión", like a gathering and you can't gather (at least not in spain! ) with language and culture.
            Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
              Hi! I didn't notice this.

For an accurate translation you should provide your english sentence, but from what you wrote in spanish I would say it like this:

"Pasé un semestre en España. Hace ya mucho tiempo, pero me gustaría reencontrarme otra vez con la lengua y cultura."

So rdf won the prize!

Le Type you were close and it's correct that reunirse describes more intention but it's only accepted when you talk about people. It comes from the word "reunión", like a gathering and you can't gather (at least not in spain! ) with language and culture.
              LMAO! I didn't even pay attention to what was being encountered, I read the word reacquaint and assumed people. Though, that word is flexible in English and can mean to things as well as to people.

I knew you would answer this so much more easily than I could.

Go, Bobby! First, granted, then reencontrarme, you're becoming a cunnilinguist like me (or maybe not like me).

Comment

Google translate. And yes, I am descended from Colonel Angus.
                Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
                LMAO! I didn't even pay attention to what was being encountered, I read the word reacquaint and assumed people. Though, that word is flexible in English and can mean to things as well as to people.

I knew you would answer this so much more easily than I could.

Go, Bobby! First, granted, then reencontrarme, you're becoming a cunnilinguist like me (or maybe not like me).

Thanks!

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'll let you know if he decides to date me.

And who's Colonel Angus?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Thank you everyone! I'll let you know if he decides to date me.

And who's Colonel Angus?
                    https://www.carecure.net/forum/showp...4&postcount=34

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks rdf. I’m a little embarrassed to have asked, am surprised I missed that episode, but my caregiver just came out and asked why I was laughing so hard.

And what year was it that the boys made it back to town? I’m hoping it was old before I enjoyed it, though that was still pre fm.

And DJ -- I could tell you’re a cutie, but that was just a tease.

And RDF – nice cool drawl you’ve got going there. Makes me want to play.

Comment

Did not mean it to be was just something from the network cam that looks out my back door and takes a 3 sec video when it detects motion and I was just seeing if I could embed a video per rdf's instructions. Always nice when a attractive woman thinks I am a cutie though..lol thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          And who's Colonel Angus?
                          It's a play on words. brocko (who I lovingly call Blue Eyes) from here even fooled me once recently when he posted a play on words on Facebook. He posted, "I want to know the origin of the word etymology." Cute, right? While I knew what etymology meant, I thought he was being serious for a minute because like all words, etymology does have an origin.

Comment

Working...
                          X