Lurking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lurking?

I am hoping someone can explain this to me without flames, names or angry PMs.
    I understand anyone is free to read or post on the internet. I can understand why SCI lurkers do not post if they feel uncomfortable for any reason. There is a lot of information here that would pertain to them.
    But what entertainment or enjoyment do people with no association at all with SCI get from an SCI forum?

I shudder to even think what the answer to your question might be. Clearly there is a lot of psychosis in the world, and anyone who lurks here regularly without any connection whatsoever to SCI would fall in that label as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
      I understand anyone is free to read or post on the internet. I can understand why SCI lurkers do not post if they feel uncomfortable for any reason. There is a lot of information here that would pertain to them.
      But what entertainment or enjoyment do people with no association at all with SCI get from an SCI forum?
      The minutiae of this is being discussed already in a current thread, as it does, in a new thread every couple of months, ad nauseum.

At the end of the day, does it even matter?

Comment

Originally posted by chick View Post
        The minutiae of this is being discussed already in a current thread, as it does, in a new thread every couple of months, ad nauseum.

At the end of the day, does it even matter?
        To me it does matter enough for me to ask a question. I am curious.
        Feel free to not read it if you don't want to.

Comment

To me it does matter enough for me to ask a question. I am curious.
          Feel free to not read it if you don't want to.
          As my reply shows, I've already read the question, to which you then replied.

If the previous thread discussion(s), which you've been an active and vocal participant, hasn't answered your question, the more curious issue is - how THIS thread, repeating those same questions, will result in a more adequate or satisfactory answer.

In any case, there is a great deal of irony in your ^ qouoted reply to me.

Comment

There simply are some sick people in the world, Linda. For some reason, those with SCI turn some AB people on, in many different ways. That's the only explanation I can give you. Don't let them ruin your experience here, though, because that means they win.
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I think a new thread doesn't really help matters.

However, I will say that I have no problem with a non-SCI person coming here and lurking or posting. Having an SCI is not, and should not, be a requirement. We are not special just because we are "special". No exclusions to anyone. A non-SCI person has every right to be here and to post or to lurk. They do not need a reason or an excuse.

That's just my point of view of course.

Comment

Probably you’re sexy moves.

Comment

...plus I'm kinda new here, so.....not really my house, but since you asked....

Comment

Question:

Would you consider it strange for a person to view a documentary about a prison who was not a prisoner? Or about the police who was not a cop? Or about a hospital who was neither a patient nor a doctor? What about a person watching the film "Murderball" who does not have an SCI?

What is the difference? Why would you be suspicious of thier reasons for watching those documentaries?

The fact that you have an SCI actually makes you kinda interesting and different, and people find you..., well, interesting.

I don't know if that's what's going on here, but I think the point is valid.

Comment

I could do with being less interesting.

Comment

I don't have an SCI but I do depend on using a wheelchair and have for fourteen years. I can't relate to having an injury but I can to most everything else that can come along with being a chair user. I come around for advice and insight into using a chair and living as disabled. It seems to me a lot crosses over between disabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
                          I could do with being less interesting.
                          Oh my god yes! It's just a freaking wheelchair, some people wear eyeglasses I use a chair. What is the big deal?!

I heard the quote,"I look forward to the day when race exists, but doesn't matter." Same with disability. If I could leave the house and have just one day when nobody looked at me and treated my like a chair user, I'd think I was in an episode of The Twilight Zone. Some chairs are interesting but the fact that some one uses one, what's do damn amazing about that?

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                            what's do damn amazing about that?
                            Speaking as an AB person until just 3 years ago......beleive me, it's interesting. Just because its your own person little version of hell doesn't mean that AB's don't find it fascinating.

If you want the most genuine reaction of AB's to people in wheelchairs just look at the faces of 6 year olds as you wheel past. Adults just hide it better.

Comment

Who cares. If they have an interest or curiousity and search it out here; that is one more person that is knowledgable about SCI.

We all have experience in being excluded from venues in the past because of disablility; I for one, will never be a part of any thing that excludes anyone.

I don't view sci as a position of weakness or embarrassment. Nor one that other people should not show curiousity over. The worst that's going to happen is they will learn about SCI and it's challenges.

I see nothing but strength and courage from this site. I trust those without sci see the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X