Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My van caught fire....everyone get a fire extinguisher for your vehicle!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My van caught fire....everyone get a fire extinguisher for your vehicle!

    I just had my van remodified so that I could drive from my chair, apparently the cheap/incompetent/careless installers at the medical supply place wired the lock down or something wrong, maybe not heavy enough wiring.... anyhow, it shorted out, smoke and flames down under the steering wheel - the lock down didn't want to release me - Violet tried ... to manually release me and couldn't so she ran to get help, but then I did get unlatched and got Hazel unbuckled...and got out. The firemen came and put the fire out.
    It seems the company has done a lot wrong, the passenger seat doesn't latch in place, the seatbelt doesn't buckle on the drivers side, the passenger door sticks....never using PG Surg Med again, they ned to be seriously reprimanded for putting my life and my kids life in danger.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

    #2
    OMG, so glad to hear you and the girls are ok, but my goodness, such a close call. I would be making some not so nice phone calls first thing Monday morning. And to think I though our van place was incompetent but they aren't that bad.

    Comment


      #3
      as an automotive mechanic pre-sci this sickens me. Wiring is one place they should not be cutting corners or letting incompetent/inexperience people do the work. These medical places that modify vehicles charge top dollar and I constantly hear about inoperative lifts, slow service and just plain bad workmanship. You'd hope these people would take pride in their work because they help us "less fortunate" (and make good money doing it) but that clearly is not the case.

      I'm new to a chair (10 months post) and the only time I used a vendor was to purchase my first chair and swap pieces off the brand new TiLite they ordered me onto the loaner TiLite they let me use for free while they sat on my order form. When I got home I transferred by pushing on the far wheel of my chair (poor technique, I know) and the axle popped out and the wheel almost fell off. I will never ever use a vendor again, I do all my own maintenance (so far only manual chair) everything gets ordered on-line and when I modify a car my competent friends that work on vehicles will do all the work. I found a cheap alternative to a full-size or highly modified mini-van with a lift - http://www.adapt-solutions.ca/products/index.php?prd=5
      No dismantling or driving from my chair. No drilling holes and parts are about $7k.
      Last edited by tooley; 26 Jun 2010, 10:32 PM. Reason: speeling eerors

      Comment


        #4
        I am so so glad you and the kids are safe. Violet is such a wonderful big girl to do that.

        I would pursue this vendor for damages if possible. That is very dangerous.
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

        My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

        Comment


          #5
          Amen, Daisy! This is negligence, unsafe actions, faulty materials, bad workmanship, not to mention plus the endangerment of all of your lives plus everyone else on the road....grrrrrrrrrr!!! Glad y'all are ok!!!

          Comment


            #6
            Emi is right. A fire extinguisher in every car! I've seen how fast cars can go up in flames and the speed at which they do so is frightening. It onlytakes seconds and the whole thing is involved what with all of the volatile fluids (brake fluid on a hot brake when changing a tire for example, Ive seen it) that are in the vehicle.

            Glad that you and the fmily are all right. You were lucky to have your little hero there!
            Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

            Comment


              #7
              Oh Emi I am glad you are ok and sorry you are out of a vehicle. My truck burned due to faulty installation of a turny seat. It was really unfair. Did you have the equipment insured?
              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.


              Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

              Comment


                #8
                That is very good advice and something I had not thought of. I would not be able to get Dave out of the van quickly.
                Glad everyone is OK.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Glad you're okay! That must've been scary.
                  ________________________________________

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Great advice on the fire extinguisher. So glad you're okay.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      my biggest fear since paralyzed: locked down in vehicle fire or in bed during house fire. tg you're ok.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        omg! thank goodness ur ok. i'd get a lawyer on it asap!! so glad that the ppl who did my mods are the best of the best in new york state hands down. but still a good idea for the fire extinguisher!
                        "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                        http://www.elportavoz.com/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Emi2
                          I am glad youre ok who ever wired your vehicle was incompetent and definitely they are responsible for this fire. Fire is scary especially when it is under your steering column etc... That's so scary Emi2 may I suggest go hire a good attny .
                          In my van I agree always carry Fire Extinguishers 2 or more .

                          This vehicle fire stuff has me bugged out ..
                          Tomorrow i'll be looking in my van for scary things because I am scared to Death of Fire .
                          I am sooo Glad you are alive
                          God Bless you
                          Sincerely;
                          Alway's
                          Gypsylady

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Oh no, I am glad all of you are ok. That is scary.
                            TH 12, 43 years post

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I bet it would be inadequate wiring as you suggested. You would do us all a service if you sued them out of this business. There are too many scammers and incompetents doing this work. Here in Michigan we had a large modifier who was taking money from customers for vans but never paying Ford. After the vans were modified the disabled users were approached by the actual owners of the vans requesting 2nd payment. This has happened elsewhere as well. Glad you survived this comany's incompetence, This has to be a cause of great anxiety in your kids not to mention you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X