Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

    I have often wondered how becoming a SCI paraplegic will affect my life span. Tonight I began thinking how old I will be when I can no longer lift myself to do transfers and other things needed to take care of myself. Then I started about that some where out there is the oldest SCI para or quad.

    I am still active albeit battling some pretty nasty pain.
    I will be 54 years old in Nov. of this year
    I am 4 years 2 months post SCI.
    I was 49 when the accident occurred.

    Just thought I would stick the questions out there.

    1 - Who is the oldest SCI paraplegic or quad still maintaining an active lifestyle here on Care Cure. (i.e. still working, living independently, working, carrying out a daily routine of some sort... etc. Not bedridden folks.)

    2 - Who is the oldest SCI paraplegic or quad you know if it is somebody other than yourself and/or not on CC?

    3 - How long has that person been para?

    4 - How old when SCI occurred?

    5 - How old is the record holder for age only as a SCI para or quad?

    6 - How old is the record holder for age and living longest as a SCI para or quad?

    Anybody ever think about this?
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

  • #2
    I know of one. Major Aluwalia. He was injured at 28 and is now 72 years old. He is a quad.
    He is very active and and runs a very successful spine hospital in New Delhi. He is very active and plays table tennis every day and has a daily work out.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm going on 62, 36 years post injury. My mentor was 84 when he passed with 55 years post injury.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am almost 62. Injured since I was 20 years old. c6-7 incomplete quad.

        Comment


        • #5
          I met a woman, 82 years old who had her accident when she was 28, I think and a para. She had been living in a nursinghome a couple of years when I met her.80

          I also know a quad who is vent dependent and she must be around 80 and she lives on the SCI hospital/rehab and has done that for 55 years and they behave her very, very nice.
          TH 12, 43 years post

          Comment


          • #6
            At 72, I believe SCIfor55yrs is the oldest quad on CC. He definitely leads a full life, including an active and satisfying sex life according to his posts in the Relationship and Sexuality forum.
            It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

            ~Julius Caesar

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
              At 72, I believe SCIfor55yrs is the oldest quad on CC. He definitely leads a full life, including an active and satisfying sex life according to his posts in the Relationship and Sexuality forum.
              By reading his funny comments I think he is the youngest oldest quad also.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                By reading his funny comments I think he is the youngest oldest quad also.
                I'm sure his sense of humor has served him well over all his SCI years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                  By reading his funny comments I think he is the youngest oldest quad also.
                  Thanks Linda. A great read to start my day.

                  Grange, you can get an overview of my life by checking out my CC webpage. Just click on the link at the bottom of my signature. I am not alone. I have a number of SCI friends whose injury dates back to the early-mid 1960s. Most were injured in their late teens.
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                  See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grange View Post
                    I have often wondered how becoming a SCI paraplegic will affect my life span. Tonight I began thinking how old I will be when I can no longer lift myself to do transfers and other things needed to take care of myself. Then I started about that some where out there is the oldest SCI para or quad.

                    I am still active albeit battling some pretty nasty pain.
                    I will be 54 years old in Nov. of this year
                    I am 4 years 2 months post SCI.
                    I was 49 when the accident occurred.

                    Just thought I would stick the questions out there.

                    1 - Who is the oldest SCI paraplegic or quad still maintaining an active lifestyle here on Care Cure. (i.e. still working, living independently, working, carrying out a daily routine of some sort... etc. Not bedridden folks.)

                    2 - Who is the oldest SCI paraplegic or quad you know if it is somebody other than yourself and/or not on CC?

                    3 - How long has that person been para?

                    4 - How old when SCI occurred?

                    5 - How old is the record holder for age only as a SCI para or quad?

                    6 - How old is the record holder for age and living longest as a SCI para or quad?

                    Anybody ever think about this?

                    are you talking age, or how old i feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                    Ronald Reagan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am 63; C5 since age 18. Still working and enjoying life.
                      Tom

                      "Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i am your neighbor lol i was 50 very active outdoors c6c7 i live indepently except
                        2 hrs a night yes i am scared of old age i transfer and pretty much handle things
                        but i am scared of finances the cost of getting old with sci. my son will not be there i am pretty sure my sister maybe but i still would have to hire help. i am scared but no i don/t lay awake thinking of it but......now i will be 60 this winter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am 63 and was injured, C5-C6 Quad, July 20, 1967...43 years ago. Married for 39 years!!!
                          Millard
                          ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Seems like I can recall some major university keeping a lot of statistics on SCIs (Alabama?).

                            http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...7&return=19775
                            Last edited by TomRL; 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM. Reason: Found it!
                            Tom

                            "Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm 71 and still 100% independent. Injured at age 35. Married 32 years. Worked full time for 25 years.
                              William M.
                              T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X