Thank you so much, Jim!!
    C5/C6

Comment

Congrats 47+, have a nice day.

LOL, I feel like a newbie after reading this thread
      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

My dad

My father is 90 1/2 and has been a paraplegic since he was 34.

Comment

Some impressive stats here.

I hope I can achieve similar. Congrats to all the more experienced posters. Good health to you.

Comment

47 yrs a para!

Hi ive been a para for 47years

Comment

I'm a c-6 complete,been injured for 27 years(20 when I was injued) and in great shape.I have had a few...AB friends diie before 50.I have amazing genes in mt family.no cancer,heart problems..NOBODY dies before 85.I have thought about this ALOT in the past few...years and it scares the HELL out of me.I feel like I should be greatful because I could have ended up a much higher quad.I know ALOT of people here would KILL to be able to do what I can.So I guess ir's not about the quantity of your life, but the quality of your life
              C-6,complete

Comment

I attended a talk by the head doc at the local rehab hospital recently and he said the higher the injury the more reduction in life span. This held until you reached C3, and then life span went up. For high level quads respiratory problems seemed to be an issue. It seems if you are on a ventilator you do better than a high level quad without a ventilator.

None of us know our ends, and as you get older this idea will have more meaning to you. One day at a time, with as much joy as you can bring to that day, has always been good advice.
                T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by 47+years View Post
                  I will be 69 in Aug. Injured 1964 at the age of 20. So 48+ years as a C5/C6 quad. I still transfer and use a manual chair. I had 3 children after the car accident that paralyzed me.
                  Tomorrow our children are having a party to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My health is excellent.
                  This gives me so much hope! I was scared that I'd have to switch to a power chair sometime within the next 5yrs ... I hope not! 27th yr here and shoulders still good, transfers still good ... but unable to pick myself up off the floor anymore (yet). Bladder and bowel both downgraded as well.

Congrats on the longevity and your anniversary - we won't see 50th anniversaries 20yrs from now! lol
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

wow thank all for posting c6c7

2001 i joined the club. i am worring over getting out of bed is getting harder and harder and putting shoes on so stiff .

thank for all but i am turning in to a recluse i avoid going out as much as possable.i live alone. care 6hrs a week.

life is doable

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                      wow thank all for posting c6c7

2001 i joined the club. i am worring over getting out of bed is getting harder and harder and putting shoes on so stiff .

thank for all but i am turning in to a recluse i avoid going out as much as possable.i live alone. care 6hrs a week.

life is doable
                      Buddy, you need to get out more. Try to fine something interesting to do.

Comment

Old

I am 60 years old, 41 years post and C-6 complete and still driving a regular car not a van.

Comment

I am certainly not the oldest, yet. I am 65 and 45 years post. MVA at age 20 and I am a C5-C6 quad and I never used a chair until 2004. I now use a power chair and I love it and wish I had started using it many years ago. I guess it's true that with age comes wisdom...or if not wisdom, better than 20/20 hindsight.
                          Millard
                          ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

My friend is 61 years old, 58 years post and a T10 para. He stills drive a regular car and has used a mauelle chair for about 10 years. He was walking before.
                            I am only 43 years post on Friday so like I said, still a newbie.
                            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I'm glad you asked. My husband is 83 now. He is a Korean Vet. His injury occurred just after he got out of the Navy. His family were all loggers and he had just bought his first truck. It was winter on the mountain with the rain. He went up on the landing and the frame gave out and the log pounded him in the ground. 3 weeks later he woke up. He was soon in a wheelchair. That was 1955 I think. Nothing has stopped him. He has been in that chair for 60 years. He has a lot of stories to tell.

Comment

These are great!

My Dad is a 72 year old incomplete para. He was hit by a taxi 8 years ago. He still crutch walks outside the house, and uses his wheelchair in his house. He goes to PT or the gym to work out a couple times a week, and has more upper body strength than men half his age. Managing bowel and bladder and being vigilant with skin has been the hardest part, with aging.

Comment

Working...
                                X