Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing!

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm going on 62, 36 years post injury. My mentor was 84 when he passed with 55 years post injury.
    Patrick, how much of your care can you do? Can you transfer all right, how about driving? I am a quad and do worry that I will not have energy to push myself around on my manual wheelchair.

I don't mean to be nosy though.

Thanks!

Comment

Doing okay. Shoulders are a challenge. Am 100% independent still. Transfers are gertting iffy due to rips and tears. I still work out at the gym, ride an fes bike 2x's a week, workout at home and continue to ride my handcycle.

I do have issues and do gert concerned about them but always come back to the addage of "Maximizing my Potential with what I have left". I too think about not being able to use the manual but will continue to work thru stuff to the very end.

I think the older SCI's all agree that it is mostly keeping a positive attitude, don't vegetate waiting for a cure and getting in the best shape we can if there is a cure. If there is'nt one, then we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life lol.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

Wow...

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
        Doing okay. Shoulders are a challenge. Am 100% independent still. Transfers are gertting iffy due to rips and tears. I still work out at the gym, ride an fes bike 2x's a week, workout at home and continue to ride my handcycle.

I do have issues and do gert concerned about them but always come back to the addage of "Maximizing my Potential with what I have left". I too think about not being able to use the manual but will continue to work thru stuff to the very end.

I think the older SCI's all agree that it is mostly keeping a positive attitude, don't vegetate waiting for a cure and getting in the best shape we can if there is a cure. If there is'nt one, then we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life lol.

Thanks for asking.
        I've learned a lot from your response and will try to implement some of what you do into my own life. Thanks you for the education!

Comment

This is probably cheating re longevity in chair but my wife and I are both chair users, wife is post polio chair user for 62 years and I am sci chair user for 40 years. There you go a total of 102 years of chair use for this family.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
            This is probably cheating re longevity in chair but my wife and I are both chair users, wife is post polio chair user for 62 years and I am sci chair user for 40 years. There you go a total of 102 years of chair use for this family.
            Impressive!!!!! Ya'll have lots to share for sure. You have seen the world of life in a chair evolve dramatically!!!
            L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

I had an appointment with my primary doc yesterday, who referred to me as a "real survivor." I was both flattered and a little bit freaked out at how that is code for getting old. (44 years post, currently 62).

Comment

Originally posted by Grange View Post
                Impressive!!!!! Ya'll have lots to share for sure. You have seen the world of life in a chair evolve dramatically!!!
                When my wife was a child she avoided home schooling by meeting the school bus, getting out of chair on braces, "walking" to a seat and meeting the teacher with another wheelchair at her "handicapped school."

Comment

Oldest Paraplegic

Hi
                  My father had an accident which left him a Para in 1958, he will be 87 this October 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by garlisle View Post
                    Hi
                    My father had an accident which left him a Para in 1958, he will be 87 this October 2011.
                    Gulp! That's quite a run! Hope most of those years have, and continue to be, healthy ones.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Today is my 37 year anniversary of my accident. I broke my neck in a pool accident when I was 20 years old resulted me being a C7 incomplete. I am still doing very well. Shoulders are fine, still pushing a manual chair, working out, driving and totally independent. I would say the key to surviving SCI is to stay active but don't overdue it!

Comment

Originally posted by GinoL View Post
                        Today is my 37 year anniversary of my accident. I broke my neck in a pool accident when I was 20 years old resulted me being a C7 incomplete. I am still doing very well. Shoulders are fine, still pushing a manual chair, working out, driving and totally independent. I would say the key to surviving SCI is to stay active but don't overdue it!
                        Happy anniversary Gino!
                        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

My Father

My father, a paraplegic, died in 2008 at the age of 92yrs-old. In 1947, stationed in Japan, he contracted polio while serving in the Army. My sister and I were born 5-6 years later, after several years of rehabilitation. If I have the math right, my dad lived in/with a wheelchair for 61 years of his life. He was a strong, active man who loved outdoor gardening (I can't tell you how many times I had to pick up an overturned wheelchair in the garden!), gourmet cooking and sharing good meals with family and friends.
                          I don't know much about statistics regarding paraplegic survivors, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's near the top in terms of longevity. He was a great man, admired by many. If anyone knows of other senior survivors, please let me know. Thanks.

John Ryan
                          Last edited by jryan; 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

I will be 69 in Aug. Injured 1964 at the age of 20. So 48+ years as a C5/C6 quad. I still transfer and use a manual chair. I had 3 children after the car accident that paralyzed me.
                            Tomorrow our children are having a party to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My health is excellent.
                            C5/C6

Comment

Have a GREAT day tomorrow, congrats to you and your loved ones

Comment

thank you to the older people that posted it makes us younger ones have hope,I'm 49 turning 50 in September born whit spina bifida lived an active life style,rode a bike,rode a motorcycle drive,worked since i was 18 yrs old till last year got injured at work have not worked or moved around like before my back gives out to fast ,can sit on my wheelchair for a long time like before not nearly as active as before so hearing all the older ones makes me thing that hopefully i can have my old life style back again thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X