Help-legal issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help-legal issues.

I have a warrant for my arrest with the bond of 500.00. Its from not going to court once again over a doctor bill that is 6 years old. I had been paying on it every month til I got sick and had to resign and file for disability.

The lawyer is a rude bitch that says everyone has some sob story...she expected my mom that is supporting me right now to make the payments. To me this is illegal...but anyways. She gave me a note on paper to come back to court but even with it on my desk i forgot about it. Due to my brain pressure and health issues right now I cant remember crap and when i do i quickly forget it again.

I am wondering what should i do? I dont have 500.00. As soon as i show up to post the bail they take my pic and arrest me. Then release me after i sign some paper work. They keep the 500.00 and apply it to the doctor bill which now is i believe under 1500.00. To me it smells of extortion! This lawyer knows my situation but dont care. Also she knows i have a SSD lawyer.

I have thought about filing bankruptsy at some time but right now i just cant do anything. What are my options? If i have any. LOL
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

This does not sound right at all. I have never heard of someone going to jail for an unpaid medical bill. Can u contact a lawyer for a free consult? They could point in the right direction or contact legal aid to get a lawyer, they are for low income people. Plus, they would prob know how to work it so that u are not arrested. I hope someone else had better information for you. I wish you the best.

Comment

Who told you there was a warrant out for your arrest? You can't be arrested for not paying a doctor's bill. Collection agencies use this line all the time.

It must be a contempt of court charge if you didn't show up for a writ of execution court hearing, after a previous hearing found you owed the creditor the money.

Regardless, it's very rare to be arrested for this type of thing. It usually never goes this far.
      Originally posted by Suzie Q View Post
      I have a warrant for my arrest with the bond of 500.00. Its from not going to court once again over a doctor bill that is 6 years old. I had been paying on it every month til I got sick and had to resign and file for disability.

The lawyer is a rude bitch that says everyone has some sob story...she expected my mom that is supporting me right now to make the payments. To me this is illegal...but anyways. She gave me a note on paper to come back to court but even with it on my desk i forgot about it. Due to my brain pressure and health issues right now I cant remember crap and when i do i quickly forget it again.

I am wondering what should i do? I dont have 500.00. As soon as i show up to post the bail they take my pic and arrest me. Then release me after i sign some paper work. They keep the 500.00 and apply it to the doctor bill which now is i believe under 1500.00. To me it smells of extortion! This lawyer knows my situation but dont care. Also she knows i have a SSD lawyer.

I have thought about filing bankruptsy at some time but right now i just cant do anything. What are my options? If i have any. LOL
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd relax. As RDF said, you can't go to jail for unpaid medical bills.
        I'd tell the person who said that, "nice try", and not pay the money
        until I have it. Don't stress yourself out. No one is suffering because
        you haven't paid that measly $1500 off.

You say the bill is 6 years old. They may be trying to get you to
        pay before a statute of limitations runs out. Some states have a
        7 year S.O.L. within which they can sue. Check out this site. SOURCE

Comment

Call the nearest legal aid office if there is one. Never heard of someone getting arrested for missing a court date or two so something doesn't sound right. I especially never heard of bail money being applied to a debt. Maybe Illinois is different from what I know, so legal aid is your best chance for good advice.
          2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

a folded up piece of green paper came via the mail man today. It says Notice of warrant for arrest. It has a date and case number. It was for failure to appear. But this crazy bitch wants me to drag my ass in court every month just for harassment. It wants me to post the 500.00 and it says failure with in a reasonable time will result in your arrest and confinement until you can post bond. Sheriff Tom Cundiff.

This lawyer is used by other business that hire her for small claims cases. She herds all the poor in their that have medical bills and pay day loans. Last court date i went to a couple of months ago the court room was all disabled people.

Barbara Woodcock is the lawyers name btw. feel free to send any hate mail you wish to her!

Comment

She surely must be breaking some law about fair debt collection practices. I would turn the tables on her and file a complaint with the proper agency.

There is no state in this country that has a statute of limitations longer than six years. It takes seven years to get the negative information removed from a persons credit file.

start researching fair debt collection practices. I think you will find some help there and information about how to file a complaint against this woman.

Whatever you do, do not state that you will pay her anything. If you make arrangements to pay or make any kind of payment it will start the clock again.

You must find a way to deal with the warrant for failure to appear. You may want to take the chance that rather than bail, say that you will go to jail. They might just release you on your own recognizance due to overcrowding of jails.

Please research very carefully before you do this however.

You need to definitely check into the state statutes regarding fair debt collection practices in your state. Then research the federal rules on this and find a legal aid lawyer that is willing to clean her clock. You are entitled to damages if she is violating the law of fair debt collection practices.

If your only money is coming from a disability check from SS, you are judgement proof. She knows this. They can however attach your bank account and getting the money back can be a nightmare. Money from SSDI or SSI is not attachable. Your bank may cooperate with the court anyway and leave you to clean up the mess later and have to prove that all money in your account was from disability sources. Really a nightmare. Be sure that any money in your account is only from the disability and not mixed with another persons paycheck or anything. They can grab it from you and then you will have to spend more than the bill just to get it back most likely.
              Last edited by skippy13; 3 May 2010, 10:52 PM.
              Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Call the papers and television station. "Unemployed disabled woman about to be arrested for not paying doctor's bill." They'll eat it up.

Anyway, call the sheriff's and the district attorney, find if there's a warrant out for you. Then I'd call the media.
                a folded up piece of green paper came via the mail man today. It says Notice of warrant for arrest. It has a date and case number. It was for failure to appear. But this crazy bitch wants me to drag my ass in court every month just for harassment. It wants me to post the 500.00 and it says failure with in a reasonable time will result in your arrest and confinement until you can post bond. Sheriff Tom Cundiff.

This lawyer is used by other business that hire her for small claims cases. She herds all the poor in their that have medical bills and pay day loans. Last court date i went to a couple of months ago the court room was all disabled people.

Barbara Woodcock is the lawyers name btw. feel free to send any hate mail you wish to her!
                Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Call the local news station. They'll eat this up.
                  My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Several years ago a sheriff deputy rang our doorbell at 6:00 AM.
                    My adult son was a student and staying with us while he finished school.
                    He was served with papers (I don't remember what they were called) from a collection agency working for the hospital. He did not realize he had a clinic bill AND a hospital bill from an ER visit that turned out to be Bell's Palsy. Ignorance is no excuse, but that is what happened to him. (He had paid one bill, but not the other thinking it was paid)
                    Since I got the mail and never saw any bills it seemed strange, but he did owe a couple hundred dollars and paid it.
                    Last edited by LindaT; 4 May 2010, 11:41 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

If a warrant has been issued for your arrest, that means a judgment has been entered against you. A judgment can be entered against you if you don't show up in court after being served with a summons. This is called a default judgment. In collection cases, you'd be taken into custody, processed and held until you post bond. I'm basing this on the information provided. It'd be a good idea to call your local legal aid office:

Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation - Southern Regional Office
                      Old National Bank Building
                      509 South University Avenue, 3rd Floor
                      Carbondale, IL 62901
                      877-342-7891

Comment

Dear Suzie Q
                        This sounds like collection agencies pushing your buttons
                        Any court will see that you are disabled and ill so Technically no one can arrest you and put you in jail for a medical bill , Threats from collection agencies are happening all the time to so many people these day's with this shitty economy

Yes these lawers representing collection agencies are heartless bastards Dont let these jerks get to you

Actually you are probably safe Just show up as you are and tell them to back off

They are ruthless and bllld thirsty fools
                        Suzie Q if I had the $500 I would gladly give it to you

If they get on your back tell them your Friend Judy Gypsylady will back you up and I would in a heartbeat

I dislike ruthless mean money thirsty leaches
                        Some lawyers will represent you pro bono if you bring this to the media

Sincerely ;
                        Gypsylady

Comment

RDF, yes, i have thought about that and just might do that tomorrow! The reason why i did not do it today was because i did not want the cops here and me sitting in jail all week. If i borrow the money from a friend of mine it will go to the balance of the bill which blows.

CLIPPER, i will call them tomorrow. I called my disability lawyer today but they said they couldnt help. pfft. God forbid anyone help someone out!

Gypsy Lady, LOL, i will inform the guards of you and what your capable of. LOL

This was the last thing i needed to be honest. I am way over whelmed physically, emotionally, and mentally. Tomorrow i have to take papers i still have to fill out (for the 3rd time) to my lawyers which is an hour away. Go by a doctors office and pick up records to take to the doctor 2 hours away Friday. I am upset that no one seems to care that i know person to person. Offer to take me to the doctor, drive me...ect. Not only do i have me to deal with i have my mother. My brother called today, he is remodeling his big house in kansas, this that and the other thing,,,money to burn but yet he never asks or cares how we are.

I told my mom that if they want me to come get me. I will just have to sit in jail. Something though i believe needs to be done about these strong armed tactics this lawyer pulls over on people to get her paycheck.

Comment

Some back ground. ...yes, this case went to court and it was a judgement against me. The reason for the warrant was a failure to appear by me. I planned on going as i have every other time now for 2 cases i have in Barbara Woodcock's office. This time because i am half freekin brain dead i forgot even though the paper was sitting on my desk.

Comment

I don't know what part of Illinois you are in but alot of the county courthouse records are available at www.judici.com Hopefully your county is there and then you can search for your name and see what you can find out. I used to be a legal secretary many years ago and now use this free service to check out perspective employees. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X