Help-legal issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skippy13 View Post
    capn gimp is right in that the only ones who can take your disability checks is for payment of a government debt. Student loans in default is another one that can take the money from you or your accounts.

I am all for paying bills when there is the means to do so. But you dont even get SSI or SSDI or any income whatsoever.

You are judgement proof.

Do not sell your car just yet, maybe your girlfriend can wait just a little while for you to appear in court and get the bail money refunded. (they do refund the money if you do not abscond, don't they?)

It is not right that the only asset you possess should be forfeit because of this. It is just not right.

Don't pay the bill either. Eff 'em and the horse they rode in on.
    Skippy, telling Suzi and presumably others to "Eff'm and the horse they rode in on" is poor advice and could land her in more trouble. When we purchase merchandise or service, such as medical, we are expected to pay. If we fall onto hard times, it is the debtor's responsibility to go to the person we owe and explain and arrange a mutually satisactory settlement. When debtors say "Ef'em and the horse they rode in on" the rest of us suffer in many ways.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Assumption

Originally posted by CapnGimp View Post
      Suzie, my stance is that you should NOT pay the bill, take the first lawyer and the city to court and sue hell outta them. I'm not big on suing, but if I was paralyzed because a manhole cover was left off a hole, somebody would be paying my bill.
      All the harrassment is worth someone getting a foot in the ass also. The ass lawyer could use a dose of her own medicine.
      They would not like me, I'd be getting even somehow if the court system failed me.

I base my stance on the fact that others' carelessness caused your paralysis. Maybe your first lawyer is in cahoots with the city... I don't know but a FEW honest lawyers. Same with cops and judges.

In any event, it'd be a COLD day before I paid the bill if the city would not.
      IRS can hit your disability, no one else.
      Captain, you are doing a whole bunch of assuming.

Your are assuming Suzi Q. is being harrassed. So far what has happened is that she has been issued a warrant for failure to appear in court. That is not harrassment.

You assume she is paralyzed. Neither her profile (that I have seen) nor her posts claim paralysis. She does say she has neurological problems.

Without proof, you assume the debt collector may be in cahoots with the city and then go on to disparage police officers, lawyers and judges. These are the very people who can help Suzi Q.

It's nice and honorable of you to come to Suzi's defense, but you should get your facts straight before making assumptions and accusations. This is not helping her one bit.
      You C.A.N.
      Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Originally posted by wazabiker View Post
        Captain, you are doing a whole bunch of assuming.

Your are assuming Suzi Q. is being harrassed. So far what has happened is that she has been issued a warrant for failure to appear in court. That is not harrassment.

You assume she is paralyzed. Neither her profile (that I have seen) nor her posts claim paralysis. She does say she has neurological problems.

Without proof, you assume the debt collector may be in cahoots with the city and then go on to disparage police officers, lawyers and judges. These are the very people who can help Suzi Q.

It's nice and honorable of you to come to Suzi's defense, but you should get your facts straight before making assumptions and accusations. This is not helping her one bit.
        She can try illinoislegalaid.org and pslegal.org. A person has to stick to it, but one in Suzie's situation can get free legal advice from these or other organizations. On pslegal.org, she can click "Our Partners" to see a long list of other organizations who might be able to help her. The illinoislegalaid website offers a service to provide answers to legal questions online. Suzie's problems are pretty simple and maybe she can get her answers online. She should also ask about the Fair Debt Collection Act, which puts limits on the types of actions that debt collectors can take and gives some remedies against those who violate the act.

There are many lawyers who dedicate their lives serving the interests of those in need who cannot pay. There are many others who donate their time informally in their everyday practices. Suzie can get the help she wants, if she really wants help and is prepared to do her best, given her disabilities.
        2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Sorry Flicka, there are extremely few accidents. I misjudged the apex of the curve, thus ran off the road. My fault, no accident. But, I did not intend to run off the road, poor judgment on my part.
          I can see where you're coming from, but think if I were to accept that position I would have to say ABSOLUTELY that there is no such thing as an accident. What is left to label as an accident?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
          - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by flicka View Post
            I can see where you're coming from, but think if I were to accept that position I would have to say ABSOLUTELY that there is no such thing as an accident. What is left to label as an accident?
            You are most likely correct--no such thing as an accident.

To label an action or inaction as an accident is to shift blame from us to another person , thing or circumstance.

When we have "an accident" it's not because we want the consequences, but it is difficult for us to accept responsibility. For instance, I was not paying proper attention causing me to run off the road and crash my motorcycle. Of course I did not want to crash. I could have shrugged my shoulders (i can still do that) and called it an accident.

As my children were growing up and had "accidents" most of the time they did not think through (extrapolate) their actions. Making a ramp and jumping their bicycles was great fun. But crashing and bloodying their lips, not so much. The bloody lips were a consequence. Had they extrapolated their decision to jump their bikes, they may have come to a different conclusion.

I don't want to belabor this point, but Suzi Q. made several decisions that resulted in her current prediciment. She is not jinxed. Her task at hand is to do what is necessary to
            You C.A.N.
            Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Suzi, cops do not stop you or anyone else for purchasing gasoline.
              Cops will often drive around running random plates looking for vehicle owners with warrants or suspended license. I was arrested that way in a pawn shop parking lot.
              Death and taxes

Comment

Why do you still have to go to court if the judgment was already made?
                Death and taxes

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine View Post
                  Why do you still have to go to court if the judgment was already made?
                  Process is explained here.
                  http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...contentID=7050
                  Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc View Post
                    That's messed up!

This thread reminds me.... I think I still have a warrant in Texas.
                    Death and taxes

Comment

In jail for being in debt

Source:
                      It's not a crime to owe money, and debtors' prisons were abolished in the United States in the 19th century. But people are routinely being thrown in jail for failing to pay debts. In Minnesota, which has some of the most creditor-friendly laws in the country, the use of arrest warrants against debtors has jumped 60 percent over the past four years, with 845 cases in 2009, a Star Tribune analysis of state court data has found.
                      (Source)

Pretty messed up.
                      Daniel

Comment

I read those articles in Mpls paper. Chilling!

Comment

I was able to get collectors off my back by telling them that there was a law suit pending and that they would be paid with the settleing of the case. that was accompanied by a letter from my lawyer that there was indeed a pending case.
                          but for contempt of court for a no show, you must be accountable for that now. write a letter to the judge explaining your situation. it may not help your debt, but can prevent an arrest. an then offer twenty bucks a month toward the bill. providing proof of income and expenses.

Comment

I went to court the 14th. I successfully argued my case that it was extortion. I explained my condition, brain swelling/psudo-tumor and all and the judge decided to return half my bail money. I then agreed to play the laywers office 5.00 a month. If i did not agree i would have to come to court every month which i told the judge was wrong because of my memory problems i would just be back in jail again. Before i agreed on the 5 bucks i told the judge and lawyer that i did not have a choice. It was either forgetting court every month or forcing my mother to pay 5 bucks. I thought it was wrong to expect any payment when the lawyer knows my situation and i have no money coming in. I did not tell him this but i think it would be an illegal contract. Anyways, thats what happened.

Believe me i was loud enough the whole court could hear and then i had to wait til the lawyer was done with other cases. Well lo and behold! around 4 other people if not more came up to the judge having been incarcerated the same exact same way as me...failure to pay on a bill, i believe all by the same doc.

As a side note, this town, Marion, IL, just made it illegal to feed stray homeless animals.
                            “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

Working...
                            X