No announcement yet.

I think that my rights were violated at the Denver Airport tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSA: Mobility Disabilities - Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
    • Don't hesitate to ask a Security Officer for assistance with your mobility aid and carry-on items as you proceed through the security checkpoint.
    • Let the Security Officer know your level of ability. For example: whether you can walk, stand, have limited arm movement, or if you cannot stand and/or walk through the walk-through metal detector. This will expedite the screening process.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance if you need help walking through the metal detector.
    • Inform the Security Officer about any special equipment or devices that you are using and where this equipment or device is located on/in your body. This will help the Security Officer to be careful during a physical inspection if one is needed.
    • Request a private area for your pat-down inspection if you feel uncomfortable with having a medical device being displayed while inspected by the Security Officer.
    • Ensure that all bags and satchels hanging from, or carried on and under, your equipment are put on the X-ray belt for inspection.
    • Ask the Security Officer for assistance with putting your items on the X-ray belt, if needed.
    • Let the Security Officer know if you need assistance removing and putting your shoes back on your feet when additional screening is necessary.
    • Let the Security Officer know if your shoes cannot be removed because of your disability so that alternative security procedures can be applied to your shoes.
    • Ask the Security Officer to monitor your accessible property, mobility aid(s,) and device(s) during the screening process and reunite you with them once X-ray inspection is complete.
    • Security Officers will visually and physically inspect your wheelchair or scooter and perform explosive trace detection sample of the cushion. These inspections will be conducted while you remain in your wheelchair or on your scooter if you indicate that you cannot get out of your wheelchair or off your scooter.
    • You should not be required to transfer from your wheelchair to another chair or be lifted out of your chair during the inspection process.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
      TSA: Mobility Disabilities - Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
      • Don't hesitate to ask a Security Officer for assistance with your mobility aid and carry-on items as you proceed through the security checkpoint.
      • Let the Security Officer know your level of ability. For example: whether you can walk, stand, have limited arm movement, or if you cannot stand and/or walk through the walk-through metal detector. This will expedite the screening process.
      • Ask the Security Officer for assistance if you need help walking through the metal detector.
      • Inform the Security Officer about any special equipment or devices that you are using and where this equipment or device is located on/in your body. This will help the Security Officer to be careful during a physical inspection if one is needed.
      • Request a private area for your pat-down inspection if you feel uncomfortable with having a medical device being displayed while inspected by the Security Officer.
      • Ensure that all bags and satchels hanging from, or carried on and under, your equipment are put on the X-ray belt for inspection.
      • Ask the Security Officer for assistance with putting your items on the X-ray belt, if needed.
      • Let the Security Officer know if you need assistance removing and putting your shoes back on your feet when additional screening is necessary.
      • Let the Security Officer know if your shoes cannot be removed because of your disability so that alternative security procedures can be applied to your shoes.
      • Ask the Security Officer to monitor your accessible property, mobility aid(s,) and device(s) during the screening process and reunite you with them once X-ray inspection is complete.
      • Security Officers will visually and physically inspect your wheelchair or scooter and perform explosive trace detection sample of the cushion. These inspections will be conducted while you remain in your wheelchair or on your scooter if you indicate that you cannot get out of your wheelchair or off your scooter.
      • You should not be required to transfer from your wheelchair to another chair or be lifted out of your chair during the inspection process.
      Yup, that's what I found sitting at my gate waiting to board the plane. I really wished I had known that before flying, but I've never had to deal with a situation like this in the many times I've flown.

And I forgot to include the best part in the story!
      I had a baseball hat on the entire time...and not once did they ask me to remove it! Ha what a bunch of morons!
      -------7-23-04----------
      C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
      www.darrentempleton.com
      www.pushtowalknj.org

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake View Post
        For the future: Each and every airlines is required to have an ADA personnel on site at the airport. If this were to occur again, request that individual to come to the TSA screening area.

You can also ask the head of the airport TSA to come to your location. The law says clearly, you many be offered a private screening but you do NOT have to accept it. I always have my screening in the open, it has minimized issues. Additionally, I have someone from airport disability services assist me in moving thru TSA.

You do NOT have to remove AFO, get out of your chair, etc. My seat cushion has been checked from below and screeners have run their hands under me as I have leaned from side to side.

Yes security is getting tighter but if it is case by case, what made him focus on you? I would have asked that question.

Be sure to arrive early and always identify yourself with the airlines as a person with a disability needing assistance and early boarding/aisle chair. TSA can look up you accomondations with the airlines.

Last thing, keep TSA guidelines printed and on your lap---they won't take paper from you. When in doubt, refer to the guidelines.

I would file the complaint. The guidelines are in place to keep people from getting injured while being transferred, etc. I saw a lady be forced to remove an AFO and then no one assisted her in getting it back on, she couldn't do it herself. Same with an elderly man, they took his shoes off and he couldn't get them back on--they would not allow his family to assist----TSA was supposed to help him--they didn't.
        This is great info, it's important we all know our rights so we can put these people in their place. I have pretty good mobility and have no problem transferring, but that doesnt mean there isn't the chance of some kind of injury happening.

If they're finding things in chairs and they need to search them more, that's fine. But every official should be trained, there should be much more accomodations for getting in and out of the chair, or how about a screening device that can scan the entire chair? There are certainly better options than what he suggested- not giving me clearance if I couldn't get out of my chair. Simply ridiculous.

Knowing all this information I almost wish it happens again.
        -------7-23-04----------
        C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
        www.darrentempleton.com
        www.pushtowalknj.org

Comment

Sheesh, Bethany...I hadn't even considered my (relatively new) afo. I haven't flown since I began using one. What kind of beauracratic crap do they do with afo/kfo's?

Comment

sorry this happened divin Daren,
            I had to send my son several times a year for visitation out of Philadelphia airport. and had to fly a few times my self. I use two mafo's.
            those planes that hit the towers, the pentagon, and went into the ground in western Pennsylvania, were hijacked with box cutters. I have not had a problem with complying to the airline security checks. we were never treated in a unkind rude way, maybe a little embarrassing to be singled out and everyone looking curiously at us, but well I would rather be safe and have to take of my mafo's for a minute, than hijacked and flown away on a suicide mission.
            the only real complaint I have had with any of the airlines was when they destroyed an insured guitar and did not honer its replacement, and once on a visit to california, I had no clothes because my luggage ended up in alaska
            Last edited by jody; 21 Mar 2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

This is great info, it's important we all know our rights so we can put these people in their place.
              DivinDarren:
              It is less about putting the TSA in their place and more about protecting your rights and privacy. I have always been courteous but firm in my requests.

KFO are sent thru the x-ray as are my crutches. Once I had someone try to dismantle the platform crutch and occassionally they forget to give it back to you.

Given what Scorpion said about the undercover investigation in Denver, it is clear why they pushed the issue.
              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

When I step up to the machine, I always tell them that I cannot remove my shoes nor my AFO's. They always take me to the side and swab.

My only gripe is when I am flying alone, they take me to the side and then my stuff sits there. It always worries me that someone will take my stuff before I can get through the pat down to get it. I have had only one TSA agent in the last 20 years that offered to go get my belongings from the x-ray belt.

The last time I flew out of Atlanta, they made me put my feet on a machine and they looked at the bottoms of my shoes.

Of note, they always pat me down and I have never set off the alarm. I can see swabbing my braces every time because I can't remove them but they consistently pat me down and/or wand me.

I think they may be violating their own rules.
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                  My only gripe is when I am flying alone, they take me to the side and then my stuff sits there. It always worries me that someone will take my stuff before I can get through the pat down to get it. I have had only one TSA agent in the last 20 years that offered to go get my belongings from the x-ray belt.
                  Daisy, they're supposed to bring your stuff from the x-ray machine over to the screening area where it's where you can see it. Request they do this next time before they start the screening.

Comment

I just flew back from vegas tonight and I have never had to do that. I have flown probably 10 times since being paralyzed an that never happens. They ask me to lean forward an thats the most I have to do... I would contact a lawyer, when I get treated differently because of my wheelchair I always contact a lawyer and shit gets handled...

Comment

So did they find the pistol under the footplate or not???

I know my pistol fits snugly under my footplate, although I would never try to hide it there.....I still imagine that I have hidden it there each time, and it would NEVER get discovered.

As for being violated, I got a trainee examiner being studied by a superior. His hands went EVERYWHERE....evey running his fingers through my hair (which is no longer than 1" anywhere on my head).....wtf was he extecting to find?!!!

I vowed never to sit there and let that happen again...next time I tell them to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                        As for being violated, I got a trainee examiner being studied by a superior. His hands went EVERYWHERE....evey running his fingers through my hair (which is no longer than 1" anywhere on my head).....wtf was he extecting to find?!!!
                        Love?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B View Post
                          Love?

Perhaps I'm angry because it turned me on????

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPals View Post
                            Can anyone translate this to English?
                            LOL, thats how I feel with my federal taxes. Why does anything government have to sound so foreign?
                            Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

i have not read this thread, so sorry if i'm repeating somebody. i just read op again. the terminology "should" doesn't mean they can't. just means they normally wouldn't.

i don't know the answer to this prob. please let us know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                                i have not read this thread, so sorry if i'm repeating somebody. i just read op again. the terminology "should" doesn't mean they can't. just means they normally wouldn't.
                                I disagree. If the TSA site stated "you may need to in some cases" that would different. We're not talking about a situation of probable cause here; we're talking about a simple pat down. If they had reasonable suspicion that he was hiding something under his butt and/or cushion, that would be a different story. It doesn't say "You should not be required to transfer from your wheelchair to another chair or be lifted out of your chair during the inspection process. Unless the TSA agent feels like it." Honestly, cass, if this happened to you, would you have been okay with it?

To further illustrate my point, the TSA site also says "You should be allowed to raise you arms out during an inspection only as far as you indicate you can." Does this mean to you that the TSA agent can, at their whim, can demand that you to raise your arms out during an inspection farther than you indicate you can? In other words, if you were to say, "I can only lift my arms this high" and the TSA site says you "should be allowed" but the TSA agent can just demand you raise it higher or force your arm higher if they feel like it? I don't think so.
                                Last edited by Scorpion; 24 Mar 2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X