No announcement yet.

Hamster Soap Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG- I am having a flashback. When my youngest daughter was in the third grade they had 2 hamsters as a class project. Had them all year long and then at the end of the year the kids that the parents said it was ok, put the names in a drawing and the winner got to keep them. Lucky me, Ashley won. Now all school year there was just 2 hamsters but low and behold about a month at our house and we have babies. Thinking I knew which one was the mom, I removed the dad, but then the "dad' had a litter. Long story short we had so many hamsters we gave every kid in her class hamsters and then gave the pet store hamsters and any body else who wanted them. We were a regular hamster factory. lol I have told everybody I really think the females and males can convert to the opposite sex just to reproduce. I don't know if thats possible but it sure seemed like it with our experience. I hate to say it but several of the little burgers did get eaten by the parents but they were having litters like once a week and it got really hard to determine what to do next.

Comment

He will have to have a party, and give out favors to his guests!

Sorry, no idea how to handle it. I only do dogs and cats.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

male hamsters have large nuts. the female has a more rounded hiney, while the males is longer.

Comment

Is my hamster a boy or a girl?
          By Luna Bug
          Sexing hamsters can be tricky, especially when they are young.
          Syrian males are usually more obvious. Once they have reached 4 weeks old they will have noticeable testicles that hang down below the rear end.
          Male Dwarves will have testicles as well, but they are less obvious. Also male Dwarves have a scent gland near the umbilicus (belly button). All male hamsters are capable of retracting their testicles up into the abdomen.
          Female Syrians, if the hair is short enough, will have noticeable nipples. There are two rows of nipples that run parallel on either side of the belly. Female Dwarves also have nipples, but they are typically much smaller and much harder to see.
          The easiest way to tell if your hamster is a male or female is to look at the distance between the two openings at the rear. This is the same with all hamsters, male or female.
          In males the anus (opening for excreting feces) and the penis (which is kept tucked up inside a small opening) are further apart. In females the anus (opening for excreting feces) and the vaginal opening (which leads to where the female organs are located) are much closer together in comparison to the male.

Comment

the male should be seperated from the mothers. they will have less fighting. give them little wooden chew toys. they are not expensive, and available at any pet store.

Comment

What a hoot!!!

More than I ever needed to know about the testicles of a hamster...LOL

I just always made sure not to have two of them so I wouldn't have to deal with their rowdy sex parties.
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quick update--and not a very good one.

The second nest had 6 (6!) babies. Which meant a grand total of 8 babies. Except the two from the first nest got killed and semi-eaten by their mom before my sister got everybody fully separated Which is very sad. She was in the process of setting up a separate cages when the infanticide occurred. My nephew is crushed but he seemed to be handling it better after they held a small burial service in their backyard. Such cute little creatures, I would have never guessed they would do that to their young. But then I guess many animals do.

My sister exiled the male to a bachelor pad but has backed off on her insistence that he has to go to a new home. She's still pretty pissed at me but seems to be simmering down at bit and getting calmer over the possibility that homes might not be found for all the babies and that they will have to find a way to house them all without anybody else ending up pregnant.

And, I have been officially banned from giving any of her kids pets as gifts again Reminding her that she okayed the purchase of the hamsters didn't really go over very well.

Comment

Working...
                X