Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Woes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Parking Woes


    ...just wondering how others handle situations like this.

    ||
    ||
    ||
    \/

    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

    #2
    When the "hash marks" are that narrow I have been known to park on the diagnal to keep someone away from my door. It is a continuous source of frustration though.

    Comment


      #3
      We saw a van outside of a restaurant that that had large lettering in the ramp side window that said " keep back 8 feet ramp..." Can't remember exactly the wording.
      Later I wished I had gone inside and asked them if it really worked or not. I suppose it might have been rude, but I never mind if people ask us questions.
      I have had to have some pretty creative parking and still end up having to back out to load Dave. I never knew before joining this club that any handicap spot would not work.

      Comment


        #4
        I think if most people understood what those "lines" are for, they would be much more considerate. Educating them is the key. Before my son was injured, I had no idea what those lines were used for. Maybe instead of "lines" there should be a message printed on the pavement such as: "DO NOT BLOCK RAMP AREA" you know, like when it says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" in huge print???

        Comment


          #5
          Mombo's idea is an excellent one. Few people understand what that area is for - if it's thought of at all, it's thought of as a convenience rather than a necessity.
          But in that picture, even if the other car was legally parked there wouldn't be room to get on or off the ramp. Of course, if one tried, that car just might end up with a few scrapes and dents...

          Comment


            #6
            Depends on how tired I was. I might just spend 15 - 20 minutes trying to scrape my chair around and up the ramp.
            (about to buy a new chair)

            Comment


              #7
              scrape your chair? what about scraping the guys pretty truck...

              or if your feeling really nice go back in the store with his plate number and have him paged.

              Or call a friend with a bigger truck and tow him away, and leave a note with suggestions for a good transmission repair facility.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by tooley View Post
                scrape your chair? what about scraping the guys pretty truck...

                or if your feeling really nice go back in the store with his plate number and have him paged.

                Or call a friend with a bigger truck and tow him away, and leave a note with suggestions for a good transmission repair facility.

                All great ideas, my favorite would be to kiss the truck with my chair.

                I had it happen to me once when I was out by myself, I call the Fire Department and they were happy to help. They moved my van so I could get in. Most malls have security or police on call that could also help.
                Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                  We saw a van outside of a restaurant that that had large lettering in the ramp side window that said " keep back 8 feet ramp..." Can't remember exactly the wording.
                  Later I wished I had gone inside and asked them if it really worked or not. I suppose it might have been rude, but I never mind if people ask us questions.
                  I have had to have some pretty creative parking and still end up having to back out to load Dave. I never knew before joining this club that any handicap spot would not work.
                  I have a bumper sticker sized sign on the ramp side that says "Please allow 8 ft. for wheelchair loading." Nothing. No one sees it or pays any attention to it at all. Rather than be blocked in I just park at an angle and take up some of the yellow lines myself, preventing someone else from doing so.
                  Last edited by Eileen; 17 Mar 2010, 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I love it when people actually park in the hashed lines because they don't want to break the law and risk a fine by parking in handicap parking.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Honestly, that guy could have parked perfectly flush with those lines (he would have been legal) and you would have still faced the same problem.

                      These lines were not big enough basically. And sometimes there are no lines. So, I would suggest this is nobody's fault......sometimes shit just happens.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You didn't help yourself by hugging the other side of the line but the slashes are not wide enough to begin with so I would have waited for a bit and then went into the store and tried to have him paged or you could have had someone back the van out for you.
                        Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by rcechser View Post
                          You didn't help yourself by hugging the other side of the line but the slashes are not wide enough to begin with so I would have waited for a bit and then went into the store and tried to have him paged or you could have had someone back the van out for you.

                          This was actually on a college campus. So paging would not have worked...no telling where the person was. The space where I usually park was taken, so I didn't have much of a choice. In my experience, spaces that are diagonal don't seem to require the same amount of space as the straight spaces do. If he would have parked properly, I think I could have made it.
                          "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Danine View Post
                            This was actually on a college campus. So paging would not have worked...no telling where the person was. The space where I usually park was taken, so I didn't have much of a choice. In my experience, spaces that are diagonal don't seem to require the same amount of space as the straight spaces do. If he would have parked properly, I think I could have made it.
                            I agree if the asshole would have parked right you probably could have squeezed by, so how'd you get into your van?
                            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Damn, almost went ballistic just now. Went to local mall, and had just rolled out my ramp when this little car pulls into the h/c space next to me. I look thru windshield and see to hs age boys. WTF? I murmur, but hold my tongue til they get out(never know one of them could have needed it) but nooooo, these 2 very AB boys get out. I cut loose.

                              "You have got to be fucking kidding me! Using your parents h/c plaque HUH?" one kid mumbles something.. "What mf'er??? no answer... You two are the laziest, most inconsiderate assholes I've seen in a long time! Do your parents know you use this? If so then they're even lower on the scum list then you are." they continue walking away... "Don't be surprised if you got a flat when you come back."

                              Didn't do it but man was I tempted. Worried the kid though, he kept looking back for a long time.
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X