Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just happened to me last week at a movie theater when I was with one of my girl friends. I popped a wheelie onto the ramp & then she helped straighten me out so I could get in. I start getting in my seat & next thing I know she throws the rest of her pop on their windshield & leaves the cup upside down sitting right in the middle of the front hood. Hopefully they seen it before all the ice cubes melted.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
      Damn, almost went ballistic just now. Went to local mall, and had just rolled out my ramp when this little car pulls into the h/c space next to me. I look thru windshield and see to hs age boys. WTF? I murmur, but hold my tongue til they get out(never know one of them could have needed it) but nooooo, these 2 very AB boys get out. I cut loose.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me! Using your parents h/c plaque HUH?" one kid mumbles something.. "What mf'er??? no answer... You two are the laziest, most inconsiderate assholes I've seen in a long time! Do your parents know you use this? If so then they're even lower on the scum list then you are." they continue walking away... "Don't be surprised if you got a flat when you come back."

Didn't do it but man was I tempted. Worried the kid though, he kept looking back for a long time.
      I would have been just as mad, but probably wouldn't have been able to leave without doing anything. My key would have gotten the best of their car.
      Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Haze View Post
        All great ideas, my favorite would be to kiss the truck with my chair.

I had it happen to me once when I was out by myself, I call the Fire Department and they were happy to help. They moved my van so I could get in. Most malls have security or police on call that could also help.
        Yeah, that was kind of what I was trying to imply.

Comment

I don't have a ramp. but if someone crowds the spot, and I can;t get the door fully open I am stuck. But paging isn't usually an option, paging someone to come and move their car, means I have to be able to get out in the first place, to go in, and have them paged. Vicious circle there.
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
            I agree if the asshole would have parked right you probably could have squeezed by, so how'd you get into your van?
            Thank goodness I can stand. I put the ramp up. I drove my chair around to the drivers side, did bending and twisting (of the back...which, of course hurt like hell) to get the drivers seat swivelled into the driving position, got in, moved the van back a few feet, then leaned against the van to balance myself while wobbling back to my chair. I was exhausted at the end of the ordeal, but again, thankful that I can stand and walk a bit. One of the reasons, I started this thread is because I always wonder what would happen if I didn't have that option.
            "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Originally posted by 6GunCobra View Post
              I love it when people actually park in the hashed lines because they don't want to break the law and risk a fine by parking in handicap parking.
              In Florida, parking on the hashed lines is illegal for the able-bodied and handicapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                I have a bumper sticker sized sign on the ramp side that says "Please allow 8 ft. for wheelchair loading." Nothing. No one sees it or pays any attention to it at all. Rather than be blocked in I just park at an angle and take up some of the yellow lines myself, preventing someone else from doing so.
                I guess that answers that question Eileen. They had some lettering on the back too. The writing in their window was large.
                I had a little orange cone I used once and it got stolen.
                I worked for many years at business with 2 handicap spots. A customer that was a real ass used to always park in them. He really got on my nerves one day and I made an annonymous call to the police. They were kind enough to come give him a ticket. He was so indignant and even went to court to try to get out of it, but only made the judge mad. heehee.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                  ) but nooooo, these 2 very AB boys get out. I cut loose.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me! Using your parents h/c plaque HUH?" one kid mumbles something.. "What mf'er??? no answer... You two are the laziest, most inconsiderate assholes I've seen in a long time! Do your parents know you use this? If so then they're even lower on the scum list then you are." they continue walking away... "Don't be surprised if you got a flat when you come back."

Didn't do it but man was I tempted. Worried the kid though, he kept looking back for a long time.
                  I do not want to hijack this thread or cause WWIII, but just a gentle reminder that not all handicaps are visible. One of those boys may have had a serious health condition that made that tag as legal as anyone else's. Only those boys and God and the Dr. know for sure...

If they were parking there for an illegal reason, then yes, they were wrong.

But what if the tag belonged to their Mom or Grandma and they were simply parking there to pick her up from the mall? Maybe SHE was in a wheelchair, or maybe she had a lung condition or heart condition in which she could not walk far and had to rent a wheelchair in the mall...

Who knows?

But I know this is a very touchy subject with everyone, but please please don't snap judge. (and remember, I said I was just saying all this gently...)

I have a birth defect of hip/arthritis...and I DO have a h/c tag. And once at the mall, a man and woman said rather loudly as I walked by...those spaces are RESERVED for people who are handicapped!!! I said just as loudly...well, some handicaps can't be SEEN.

Have a great rest of the week!!!

Teena

Comment

That happens to me ALL the time as I've got a modified Honda Element with a very steep ramp but when I get boxed in I basicallly ram into the car or truck blocking me and if it gets trashed, not my damn problem or I call the cops who will cite the vehicle for $275 for parking in the crosswalk which is NO PARKING ZONE, at least in CA. People are always getting pissed so I say well STUPIDO I can't help it as I have a ramp and you are just a DUMBASS. I'd suggest you park AWAY from the blue zone as people like me need them and should you ever park on the line or in the crosswalk, you should expect damage to your vehicle as you are blocking access to others who the lines and crosswalks were built for!

Comment

In my opinion, if you can walk around the mall and do shopping, then chances are you don't need a h/c spot. No, not all disabilities are visible, but speaking for Illinois laws, you would either need to have lung disease or heart disease to use those spots. Even in those cases, I find it interesting that these people are able to navigate around the mall or place of business with no problems while the person with a wheelchair ramp or who needs extra space has to park in the back to have enough room. I just filed a complaint the other day about a young woman parked in the lines between two h/c spots. As we started driving around we noticed an old lady walking to the back with an oxygen tank......

Seriously? If you can walk around the store, just park in a different spot....leave the WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE spots to people in wheelchairs!

I would say the best way to handle a situation like this is to note the day, time, location, license plate, and placard number and then report it to the secretary of state's office. They will (hopefully) investigate and if they find out that someone is using it illegally, we can start to filter these people out.

handicappedfraud.org is a good site to also submit the person's information to.

Comment

I HAVE A SUGGESTION (and I've put it in bold capitals so you know to read it.)

It's a suggestion to the authorities really.

People in wheelchairs do not really need to park close to the store front, they just need SPACE around their vehicle to get in and out. So my suggestion to car lot designers is to have more handicapped van-access spaces towards the middle or back of the car lot. They can even place a large placard stating these spaces are not for all handicapped people; they are for handicap vans with ramps.

So, if you have a bad knee, you can park near the front. If you have a big, but speedy wheelchair, there are spaces for you to unload....

The reason these spaces get abused is purely BECAUSE they are near the store front.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                          I guess that answers that question Eileen. They had some lettering on the back too. The writing in their window was large.
                          I had a little orange cone I used once and it got stolen.
                          I worked for many years at business with 2 handicap spots. A customer that was a real ass used to always park in them. He really got on my nerves one day and I made an annonymous call to the police. They were kind enough to come give him a ticket. He was so indignant and even went to court to try to get out of it, but only made the judge mad. heehee.
                          Linda, I have to share my own orange cone story with you. I basically ripped one off from the side of the road and threw it in the back of my van. Tthe work the highway dept was doing had been completed, and it was just sitting there saying "take me." I was concerned that the first time I used it it would be stolen and had seriously thought of connecting it with a rope or something to my side mirror. Thank heavens I didn't because the second or third time I used it (showing how effective it was....) I came out and found a huge truck parked next to my van blocking me entirely. I couldn't figure it out since the cone wasn't to be seen anywhere. Finally a woman that I asked to move my van a few feet for me so that I could get back into it noticed "my" orange cone totally crushed beneath the wheels of the truck. He just plowed in despite the cone, and if it had been attached to my vehicle who knows what damage might have happened!

Comment

Originally posted by teena View Post

But what if the tag belonged to their Mom or Grandma and they were simply parking there to pick her up from the mall? Maybe SHE was in a wheelchair, or maybe she had a lung condition or heart condition in which she could not walk far and had to rent a wheelchair in the mall...
                            Then one of the two AB's can get the car and pick her up at the door. There's no need to park in H/C space if you have an AB driver who is capable of picking you up and dropping you off.

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                            I HAVE A SUGGESTION (and I've put it in bold capitals so you know to read it.)

It's a suggestion to the authorities really.

People in wheelchairs do not really need to park close to the store front, they just need SPACE around their vehicle to get in and out. So my suggestion to car lot designers is to have more handicapped van-access spaces towards the middle or back of the car lot. They can even place a large placard stating these spaces are not for all handicapped people; they are for handicap vans with ramps.

So, if you have a bad knee, you can park near the front. If you have a big, but speedy wheelchair, there are spaces for you to unload....

The reason these spaces get abused is purely BECAUSE they are near the store front.
                            I agree with you for the most part- most of the time I park in BFE and leave the front spaces for those with Breathing/heart and other conditions. But, having said that- my chair doesn't have any lateral movement to sidestep an idiot driver playing parking lot kamikaze. and. at 4'08" I'm not the most visible thing crossing a lot.
                            Dave

Comment

I believe the requirement to qualify for a placard is "unable to ambulate 200 feet without assistance or stopping to rest." It might be 250 feet. That said, you absolutely CAN tell when someone meets those criteria. If they can walk unassisted or without stopping to rest between the vehicle and the door then they don't need the space. Cane, crutch, walker, scooter, wheelchair, person limping, shuffling along --- all can be seen.

I don't necessarily need to park close but I DO need a safe route to the building.
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
                                I believe the requirement to qualify for a placard is "unable to ambulate 200 feet without assistance or stopping to rest." It might be 250 feet. That said, you absolutely CAN tell when someone meets those criteria. If they can walk unassisted or without stopping to rest between the vehicle and the door then they don't need the space. Cane, crutch, walker, scooter, wheelchair, person limping, shuffling along --- all can be seen.

I don't necessarily need to park close but I DO need a safe route to the building.
                                Totally agree! With both my husband and me in chairs...we need the space...and it is no fun trying to find a place when someone parks there and then spends 4-5 hours in the mall walking around and shopping without stopping every 200 feet.
                                "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X