No announcement yet.

Does your able body friends know about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the friends I hang out with on a regular basis know. My boyfriends parents are divorced..his mom is an RN so I'm sure she know, but I just "hide" it instead of saying oh I'm going in this room to pee be back soon. My boyfriend knows I don't like her knowing he thinks its no big deal, but he helps me be secretive haha. The same goes for when we go to his dads house, lol. I guess my boyfriends dad used to have to cath due to a medical reason a few years ago so I'm sure he'd understand, I just feel awkward about it with them.

I mean really what can people expect...I have no feeling or movement down there how else do they think its going to come out?! I don't take much longer than an AB person & have gotten pretty good at doing it in awkward places.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Many advantages of cathing

Anytime I have to excuse myself to go pee, I explain to whomever I am with that I have to stick a tube in my dong to empty my bladder. If anyone asks for more info, I just explain a few of the advantages of cathing over conventional peeing and there are many. If they want examples, I explain how wonderful it is to not have my hardware hanging in the cold water in the bottom of a toilet. Also, in the winter I can write my name in the snow and dot the I's and cross the Tee's. On a long car trip, I install a folly and just plug it into a tube that goes through the floor and dumps on the ground. I find that many people are highly envious.

Comment

I tell my friends straight up that I have to shove a long clear flexible straw like plastic thing in my weiner when I need to make peepee. I tell them how bad it sucks. And then I tell them to make sure they never receive a spinal cord injury.

Comment

Everybody knows. In my case for the following reasons:

- You don't have to be ashamed of those things. "Those things" is you, and you are beautiful, no matter what. Everyone has flaws or physical handicaps.
          - You'll be more comfortable when something is wrong. When my condom catheter slips off i just yield "shit i'm peeing on myself!". My friends laugh, i laugh and threat them i'll piss on them. Or say things like "i was too lazy to go to the bathroom". People like and feel better if you have a good self confidence. And you too. You can also think it of a tool to know people better and know who you can trust.
          - You might get help eventually when in an emergency. I can help a friend when his girlfriend dumped him. He can help me when my legbag is about to explode and i can't get to an accessible bathroom.
          - Problems are as big as you make them to be. People will admire and respect you even more if you show no pitty about these things.
          - The way i see it, the more afraid we are of telling these things (obviously there are boundaries but we are all grown people) the more disabled you are making yourself. Don't turn those things into "a big thing".
          - etc
          Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

My friends know I'm "handling business"... and most-actually, now all of the girls know how to help out in a pinch. My closer guy friends have a rough idea, because I'll answer whatever they ask- after a few years, anyone would be curious... but they also are the first ones to build me a ramp, take my chair apart & throw it in the trunk, etc, so I could care less, you know? More casual friends? Not really.
            An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

No. But one girl I dated asked what those 'tubes' were for. Didn't want her to think I was shooting drugs so I told her. lol.

She was like 'meh' about it. Didn't seem to care at all. It's more of a person issue. I think it's private.

Comment

my friends all know about. hell most of them have had to dodge a flying piss jug every once and awhile ( it helps to show them who's still boss in our circle) haha . one time at the bar a complete stranger came up to me and asked if i cathed? i said ya, and he goes can you piss in my buddy's drink? well needless to say i did and i had a wicked uti and it smelled bad... but it was pretty funny to watch him take a big swig out of his beer though, never seen someones face go like that before haha
                I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Comment

When I was first injured, I was in tongs for weeks, and I don't remember anyone explaining to me what was going on "down there". The first time I watched the procedure I flipped out. I remember that plain as day. For a long time my mom or gram took care of it for me, but the circle started widening as I got older and needed more help. Over the years I have added appliances that have made evacuation issues much easier, but I still feel nervous breaking in new help.

I am rarely alone, so it isn't usually an issue, but the clerks in my office have had to step in a couple of times when I needed help, but it isn't anything that comes up in conversation much. I wish I had kept tabs over the years to see how many have asked the "Big Two" questions. How do you go to the bathroom?, and umm well, how, umm , well can you, umm well , does it still work down there? "

Edited to add: Bob, remind me never to go drinking with you and your buddies.

Comment

Working...
                  X