No announcement yet.

32 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accelerating the last few. shoulders are shot, bones keep breaking, I love naps...

Comment

happy belated anniversary amigo! Got my 32nd coming up on March 26th...errr..April 4th....actually, I'm so lucky I get 2 anniversaries every year. Broke my neck on March 26th but it was Easter Sunday so I get to "celebrate" both dates. Won't be the same day again till 2066....gonna be a l-o-o-ng wait!

r
      Rick Goldstein
      GO! Mobility Solutions
      facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

33 years 08/26/77

Time flies by. Just another year outliving the stats.

Originally posted by brucec View Post
        Damn, was in a great mood today, and then saw a memo here at work with March 5th on it, knew something was weird about that date, and then it hit me, 32 years ago, 3/5/78 was my car accident.
        had to go outside and smoke a ciggarette, lots of weird thoughts still going on
        Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Comment

Time fly when you having so much dam fun!!!
          Congratulations Brucec on your 32nd year.
          U are definitely a inspiration.
          coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
            I have never done this before but I really need to sounds fun.
            back about 15 years ago, i used to actually hop in my van on a saturday morning, flip a coin, first flip would be north or south, and go that way for 30 minutes and see whats on the way, then flip again west or east, keep doing that til lunch and stop someone i've never eaten before, you'd be amazed how many new places and people you run into.
            try it one day
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Sorry Bruce, but I thought I'd already wished you a happy A but I guess I hadn't. Welcomee to the damn-near old timers club. 38 for me on June 9th. Another WWRC veteran!
              "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

want to thank everyone for the kind words and replies, really helped out alot, funny when I was injured at 17 the doctors and rehab told me the average life span of someone injured at 17 was 40 years old, and of course since i still smoke ciggs, drank beer/whiskey and smoked pot, they said i'd be lucky to see 35. ha!
                49 and still kicking, it's in the high fifties today, so i hopped on the trike and went for my first ride this year, was great being in the wind.
                getting ready to head to a cookout up in virginia with friends, should be a great day all around, hurry up summer!!!!!!

all i can tell everyone is, immediately head to your front door, open, go out, shut door, and take off for several hours, even if destination unknown!
                Exactly the same thing they told me. So I lived like I'd be dead at 40... and given some if the shit I did, I probably should have been.
                "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                  Exactly the same thing they told me. So I lived like I'd be dead at 40... and given some if the shit I did, I probably should have been.
                  same as me, i livbed life period, and of course nowadays being over 40, everythings a plus
                  We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                  Ronald Reagan

Comment

bruce my accident was march 5th 06 u got alot of years on me but hopefully i got plenty more to go

Comment

Originally posted by deel90 View Post
                      bruce my accident was march 5th 06 u got alot of years on me but hopefully i got plenty more to go
                      happy annivsary to you also, yes you have plenty more years to go, and should have a lot easier time of it nowadays
                      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                        same as me, i livbed life period, and of course nowadays being over 40, everythings a plus
                        Congrats. Bruce!

Interesting that you two were told you'd be lucky to see 40.

In the UK 30 odd years ago they were brutal when it came to giving you your long term prognosis, "what you've got after three years is what you'll have to live with, forget cures, now get your arse out there and make a life!" but they never mentioned falling off the perch at forty.

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
                          Congrats. Bruce!

Interesting that you two were told you'd be lucky to see 40.

In the UK 30 odd years ago they were brutal when it came to giving you your long term prognosis, "what you've got after three years is what you'll have to live with, forget cures, now get your arse out there and make a life!" but they never mentioned falling off the perch at forty.
                          we both was at the same rehab, different times though
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Nobody told me anything like that, but in reallity they did not tell me anything at all. They talk to my parents and my father did not remember anything and my mother got early Alzheimer so I don't have one idea what they expected. But the quads I met 40 years ago are dead and all the paras are alive. The quads died from kidney trouble after short time or from bleeding in the brain. Only one quad is alive and she is more than 50 years post and is still living at the SCI hospital. And one died a few years ago but I don't know the reason.

I have never thought I would die earlier than other people, maybe I have been naiv.
                            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Very interesting topic for me. I am new to Care Cure, but not to SCI. I was hit by a car on my birthday, July 4, 1969. It was my first ride on my brand new Schwinn bike. Bright red, with a bell and multi-colored fringe on the handles. First brand new bike for any of us kids, and I was on a cruise. No training wheels either. I wish I could remember some of that ride.

The woman who lived across the street backed out of her driveway just as I rounded the corner, and the rest , as they say, is history.

We lived in a small town, financially depressed after an 8 month strike in the Mines. No neurosurgeons, but my doc was used to patching miners up who had been caught in rockslides.

I spent weeks on a rotating bed with tongs holding my head straight. I remember being so hot, and asking for them to put ice on my head. I can never forget how sad my parents were, and how nice my sisters and brother were being to me. I had a lot of internal injuries that needed surgeries so I was in the hospital about 9 months. I was spoiled rotten by the nurses and nurses aides (hence the nick name)

When I went home they gave me an E&J wheelchair that had the big wheel in the front because they didn't think I would be leaving the house. I couldn't go back to school because the classroom was on the third floor, and there was the problem of accidents. My mom , God love her, went to the school board and they rigged up a speaker system so I could participate in classroom activities. To a point.

I don't know exactly what the doctor told my parents, but after a few months of watching me like I was going to croak, they realized that I was probably going to stick around for a while, so they started making things that helped me do what I could. There was no rehab around here, but my Mom started writing to other mothers and they shared ideas with each other. She and her "pen pals" were their own support group. When I graduated from Law School, three of them came from all over the states to be with her.

I have been very lucky in life. I am married to an exceptional woman, and we have 3 children. We are waiting to become grandparents. My beautiful sister and her husband passed away, and left 6 amazing children who have let us share in their lives.

Nothing about SCI has been easy, but I look back and I think you didn't do too badly , you old goat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Brat View Post
                                Very interesting topic for me. I am new to Care Cure, but not to SCI. I was hit by a car on my birthday, July 4, 1969. It was my first ride on my brand new Schwinn bike. Bright red, with a bell and multi-colored fringe on the handles. First brand new bike for any of us kids, and I was on a cruise. No training wheels either. I wish I could remember some of that ride.

The woman who lived across the street backed out of her driveway just as I rounded the corner, and the rest , as they say, is history.

We lived in a small town, financially depressed after an 8 month strike in the Mines. No neurosurgeons, but my doc was used to patching miners up who had been caught in rockslides.

I spent weeks on a rotating bed with tongs holding my head straight. I remember being so hot, and asking for them to put ice on my head. I can never forget how sad my parents were, and how nice my sisters and brother were being to me. I had a lot of internal injuries that needed surgeries so I was in the hospital about 9 months. I was spoiled rotten by the nurses and nurses aides (hence the nick name)

When I went home they gave me an E&J wheelchair that had the big wheel in the front because they didn't think I would be leaving the house. I couldn't go back to school because the classroom was on the third floor, and there was the problem of accidents. My mom , God love her, went to the school board and they rigged up a speaker system so I could participate in classroom activities. To a point.

I don't know exactly what the doctor told my parents, but after a few months of watching me like I was going to croak, they realized that I was probably going to stick around for a while, so they started making things that helped me do what I could. There was no rehab around here, but my Mom started writing to other mothers and they shared ideas with each other. She and her "pen pals" were their own support group. When I graduated from Law School, three of them came from all over the states to be with her.

I have been very lucky in life. I am married to an exceptional woman, and we have 3 children. We are waiting to become grandparents. My beautiful sister and her husband passed away, and left 6 amazing children who have let us share in their lives.

Nothing about SCI has been easy, but I look back and I think you didn't do too badly , you old goat.
                                Thanks for writing, I enjoyed reading your post!
                                A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Working...
                                X