Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we less employable as a result of Healthcare costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember that Medicare in some states doesn't cover all your needs. As a vent dependent quad, I require 24/7 nursing or care due to vent monitoring. In Iowa, Medicare would only cover this in a nursing home.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

From what I understand you can only get medicare under 65 if you are disabled and the only way to sign up for medicare is if you are getting soc. sec. dis. So , if you are working and dont qualify for soc. sec. dis. then you cant get signed up for medicare.

(Does this make sense?!

Comment

Originally posted by medic1 View Post
        From what I understand you can only get medicare under 65 if you are disabled and the only way to sign up for medicare is if you are getting soc. sec. dis. So , if you are working and dont qualify for soc. sec. dis. then you cant get signed up for medicare.

(Does this make sense?!
        so if you quit your job, sign up for SOC Sec dis. and get approved, then start working again the medicare will continue as in nodecafpls example ?
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
        Ronald Reagan

Comment

http://www.kff.org/medicare/7241/ssdi.cfm#b1

Can someone on SSDI continue Medicare coverage when they return to work?

Yes. If you go off SSDI when you return to work you can continue Medicare coverage for 93 months after completing the 9 months work period. Combined with the trial work period, therefore, you can receive Medicare Part A coverage premium-free for a total of 8 and half years. You can also continue to pay for Part B during this same time.
          Most people who return to work after the trial work period will automatically retain Medicare in this manner if they have completed the initial 24 waiting period or were otherwise exempted from the waiting period requirement.

Persons who complete their trial work period before the 24 month Medicare waiting period runs out can still take advantage of this incentive. But, they must wait for the full 24 months to elapse before such Medicare coverage goes into effect. Hence, if you begin your trial work period at the beginning of the sixth month after you started to receive your SSDI and ends 9 months later that means you will be 15 months into the 24 month Medicare waiting period, you will have to wait another 9 month for coverage to begin.

Alternatively, if you begin your trial work period at the start of month 15 and it ends 9 months later, the waiting period will be satisfied and your Medicare coverage will start at this point. If you begin working before your Medicare benefits start, you should take care to maintain your SSDI benefits if you earn more than SGA. If you believe that you will earn more than SGA, we urge you to explore using work incentives such as the impairment-related work expenses (IRWE) or plan for achieving self-sufficiency (PASS) to get your countable earnings below the SGA standard. If you have questions, you should contact your local Benefits Planning, Assistance and Outreach (BPAO) program. To locate the BPAO project nearest you, call 1-866-968-7842 or for the hearing impaired, call 1-866-833-2967 (TTY/TDD). You can also find a list with contact information on the Social Security Administration’s website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/S...Directory.html.

People with disabilities that have Medigap who return to work and have employee-based insurance can request that such Medigap coverage and premiums be suspended. The Ticket to Work Act also requires reinstatement of a Medigap policy if group coverage is lost provided that the person gives notice of loss of employer coverage within 90 days. Back to the Top

Can people with disabilities who work buy into Medicare once their eight and a half years of premium-free coverage runs out?

Yes. After premium-free Medicare coverage ends due to work, some people who have returned to work may buy continued Medicare coverage by paying the full premium, as long as they remain medically disabled.
          Last edited by medic1; 4 Mar 2010, 3:13 PM. Reason: added site that info was on

Comment

Thanks Medic!

And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
              I don't need a job right now....but who knows what might change in my employment situation......
              I sincerely hope you never have to face that, man. I have to say I can certainly empathize with your worries. I can't imagine having an injury, a family to support, and have to worry about the loss of a job in our present economy. Being injured so young and being gay, I never had to worry about supporting a wife and children, so I definitely feel for husbands who do have families to support and either worry about it or can no longer do it.

Comment

thanks, alot of good info there
                We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Werid, I got a full time job and told them how much I make a year and they said Oh? well you no longer get SSI or SSD and you also don't quality for medicare anymore until you hit 65. Goodluck have fun and gave me a pat on my hiney on the way out.

Big companies dont' care if your disabled but I can see smaller companies seeing your disability an issue because it is true it will cost them more. Of course they can't tell you outright thats not why they hired you but it could be a factor without them letting you know.
                  Injured:10-16-04
                  C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                  Blog:
                  http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                  Facebook:
                  http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                  Progress:
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                  My drawings:
                  http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee View Post
                    Werid, I got a full time job and told them how much I make a year and they said Oh? well you no longer get SSI or SSD and you also don't quality for medicare anymore until you hit 65. Goodluck have fun and gave me a pat on my hiney on the way out.

Big companies dont' care if your disabled but I can see smaller companies seeing your disability an issue because it is true it will cost them more. Of course they can't tell you outright thats not why they hired you but it could be a factor without them letting you know.
                    Mr. C did they immediately cut off your benfits once you informed them that you're working? I know a few sci's who went back to work who have good paying jobs that continued receiving full ssdi check and their paychecks from job for many months I can't remember but it wasn't longer than a year.
                    Last edited by wtf; 4 Mar 2010, 5:47 PM. Reason: added a few mords so it made sense lol
                    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee View Post

I believe that is because SSI is based on income need rather than being an insurance benefit for which you qualify by making a minimum number of contributions by payroll deductions. What is SSD? I have heard of SSDI, is this the same thing?
                      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
                        I sincerely hope you never have to face that, man. I have to say I can certainly empathize with your worries. I can't imagine having an injury, a family to support, and have to worry about the loss of a job in our present economy. Being injured so young and being gay, I never had to worry about supporting a wife and children, so I definitely feel for husbands who do have families to support and either worry about it or can no longer do it.
                        Well, I'll be frank.....it is worrying.
                        I support my wife (who does not work due to chronic back pain) and her daughter who is 15. Her son, who is 20 lives in her old house in MS. He works at a shop, but earns little. I have to pay the mortgage on that house and many of his bills. He wants to go back to school to study but doesnt know what. His car broke and it looks like I will be buying another one.
                        So, I have 2 house payment, multiple cars, loads and loads of bills. The savings I had managed to gather are being depleted at $1-$2k per month. It will run out.
                        I am on the smae exact pay as in 2005.
                        I cannot sell the MS house since it is on her family land
                        My wife has got student loans that I am paying back at $500 per week.

Its kinda tough, to provide for a big family AND look after a paraplegic man. at the date of my accident I was not married.

And to think it could all turn on losing my job? Id be so screwed. No one else in rural GA would pay what I make now,and I am already making a net loss each month.

I owe no money apart from the mortgages though. Oh and her student loans.

TMI? probably. I love them, its my family.

But what has being gay gotta do with it? You'll have a husband one of these days.....and maybe even some kids too. It's all just waiting for you....so watch out....!!!

Let me add.....I'm doing alright, I'm just short on positive cash flow. I'm asset rich cash poor. And wonder what it would be like if I lost this job (for posting during working hours on the internet say).

I don't need discrimination on top....I'm not used to discrimination, I'm white, straight and male dammit....

Comment

If your wife is permanently disabled, it may be possible to have her student loans forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
                            Mr. C did they immediately cut off your benfits once you informed them that you're working? I know a few sci's who went back to work who have good paying jobs that continued receiving full ssdi check and their paychecks from job for many months I can't remember but it wasn't longer than a year.
                            Yeah, you get 9 months of SSDI under trial work period, then another 3 months "extension", then make sure you hound them to actually stop paying otherwise you'll end up with something like 15 or 16 months and wonder if they might come back several years later once they discover the overpayment. Or they might not...it's been 6 years now, lol

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                              I don't need discrimination on top....I'm not used to discrimination, I'm white, straight and male dammit....
                              LMAO! You're good.

Comment

Working...
                              X