Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know, I know, it's horribly idealistic of me........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiranA View Post
    So, after speaking with our equity ambassador (who, by the way, is the best person to kick asses if necessary), it turns out the LSS, [Law Students Society] cannot force a club affiliated with our school to make their event wheelchair accessible. The clubs operate independently. This isn't going to stop me though. I'll figure something out.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have the ADA in Canada.
    a club affiliated with your school should be accessible. if it is not, then no event. how hard is it for the people in charge of granting permission for events to say, we have many students who use wheelchairs, is your club accessible? the people in charge of organizing school affiliated events should be aware of a policy to include all students. that means inquiry into accessibility.

Comment

Originally posted by KiranA View Post
      So, after speaking with our equity ambassador (who, by the way, is the best person to kick asses if necessary), it turns out the LSS, [Law Students Society] cannot force a club affiliated with our school to make their event wheelchair accessible. The clubs operate independently. This isn't going to stop me though. I'll figure something out.
      Which club is it? It might be worth suggesting that they all spend a meeting (or an afternoon) in a wheelchair to get a feel for what you're talking about.
      ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Is it the same people/organization that keep doing it? That's sad if it is and they know you are excluded over and over.
        Or is it different clubs that maybe just each heard your complaint once and forgot?
        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

How about showing up early a few times. Sit right in front of the entrance where all the other students have to practically trip over you. Greet each one and ask them if they could help you get in. Point out that if you were being excluded because you were x (name a couple of other former disenfranchised groups) they wouldn't stand for it. Ask for their help in getting it fixed. Do it a couple of times.

Personally, I'm trying a new tactic. Rather than staying home cuz I know it's inaccessible, I let ppl know how excited I am and how eager I am to attend whatever event. "See you there!!!!!!" I make my exclusions pretty public these days. It's making a difference.
          My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards View Post
            Which club is it? It might be worth suggesting that they all spend a meeting (or an afternoon) in a wheelchair to get a feel for what you're talking about.
            I love this idea, esp. if they're headed someplace they won't be able to access! Going to the mall in a chair is easy but trying to attend an inacessible event is a whole nother ballgame.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Why not just tell them it would not look to good in a newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
                How about showing up early a few times. Sit right in front of the entrance where all the other students have to practically trip over you. Greet each one and ask them if they could help you get in. Point out that if you were being excluded because you were x (name a couple of other former disenfranchised groups) they wouldn't stand for it. Ask for their help in getting it fixed. Do it a couple of times.

Personally, I'm trying a new tactic. Rather than staying home cuz I know it's inaccessible, I let ppl know how excited I am and how eager I am to attend whatever event. "See you there!!!!!!" I make my exclusions pretty public these days. It's making a difference.
                Great idea. Very pro-active, positive imagery. Did you hatch this plan JenJen? Impressed.

Comment

In thinking about this situation, I am starting to wonder if I have been disillusioned about Canada. I have always thought Canadians, as a whole, to be more kind, considerate, and sensitive to minority needs that we USers. Have I got that wrong? Also, why doesn't Canada have an ADA equivalent if these problems persist?
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

get student gov't involved

Comment

Originally posted by brocko View Post
                      Great idea. Very pro-active, positive imagery. Did you hatch this plan JenJen? Impressed.
                      Why thank you Brocko. I hatched it up after being invited to an event for an organization that was fund raising for of all things INCLUSION!!! They meant multicultural/LGBT but I want to be included too. This group was really stuck when I asked folks if they'd boycott if I couldn't enter the event because of race or religion or gender. They got it quick. Never had an issue with that group since.

I've decided that no one gets it if I stay home so I go and plan to be turned away publicly. It's THEIR shame, not mine. It's working.
                      S l o w l y. But working nonetheless.
                      My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                        In thinking about this situation, I am starting to wonder if I have been disillusioned about Canada. I have always thought Canadians, as a whole, to be more kind, considerate, and sensitive to minority needs that we USers. Have I got that wrong? Also, why doesn't Canada have an ADA equivalent if these problems persist?
                        Don't you think making an assumption about the entire country based on one post about a group of law students at one university is a bit rash?

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello View Post
                          Don't you think making an assumption about the entire country based on one post about a group of law students at one university is a bit rash?
                          I have not drawn any conclusion.I just asked a question so I could get some additional info. Thanks for your comment.
                          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

In Ontario we have incredible new legislation: the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. It is the most progressive piece of law that I have seen. It sets standards for customer service, information and communication (including accessible teaching), employment, built environment and transportation. Really high standards - complete access. It's the next generation of the ADA. It requires a shift from accommodation (keeping existing programs etc and figuring out how they can be adapted for people w disabilities) to accessibility - access built in up front. It requires training for all service providers, employers, builders etc.

I believe the other provinces will follow suit. There just hanging back to see how it's executed in Ontario. First deadlines for the public sector are this March. Private sector is next March. I'm working with my employer to conduct training. It's a huge job with over 6000 employees, volunteers, contractors.

Kiran, student clubs are covered - anyone providing any kind of service, event etc. is covered - so they have to complete training here. I hope B.C. catches up soon. Good luck advocating.

Comment

I have not drawn any conclusion.I just asked a question so I could get some additional info. Thanks for your comment.
                              http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/pr...accessibility/

loreo, did you know medical facilities (including doctor's offices) are exempt for 25yrs? That takes us into 2030 ...
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Kiran I had a similar issue last year when it came to both formal and informal class activities. After feeling like I was on my own to educate everybody in the class, I was actually encouraged to find out that the student's association at my university has one seat on its council reserved for a student with a disability. After getting in touch with him and the ombudsman for the student's association with my concerns, with their help I was able to liason with both the university's administration and several student groups. It was a bit frustrating, I admit and I didn't really get the results I might have hoped for. But given the time frame I was working with, I was encouraged that there was a recognition by both the university and the student's association that more needed to be done in terms of creating awareness and encouraging and monitoring for inclusion, both for formal and informal things on campus. Whether it was all talk remains to be seen. But I now have the university's vice president of campus life cc-ing me email exchanges he has about campus events and accessibility. So I think some progress has been made with awareness. It both amazes me and frustrates me though, as I can't think I am the first student to ever take issue with lack of accessibilty at this school. But it almost felt like it taking to some of the university's senior admininstrators. However I admit that I was more discouraged by the lack of awareness of my classmates.

Speaking in general terms about some of the replies here, I don't see how a law suit in this case would serve anything except to further alienate people and create bad will--if there was even a case in the first place. Educating and bringing awareness can be a frustrating and slow process. But in the end, from my own experience at university, I think that is where I would rather expend my energy rather than thinking I needed to sue.

It wasn't a comment. It was a question about the wording of your post, which I admit I found puzzling. I guess it would be like me wondering if all Americans were redneck dumbfucks based on one conversation I had with somebody from Oklahoma this weekend.
                                Last edited by orangejello; 03-04-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X