Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PR stunt or genuine inclusion?

Shame media still go with the cliche 'confined to a wheelchair'

Wheelchair-user becomes first disabled model to star in major High Street campaign
    By TAMARA ABRAHAM
    Last updated at 11:37 AM on 26th February 2010
    Comments (95)
    Add to My Stories

Debenhams today became the first High Street retailer to use a disabled model in its advertising campaigns.
    Shannon Murray, who is confined to a wheelchair, took part in a photo shoot for the department store last week.
    The actress and model, 32, revealed the news on her blog: 'I've been modelling for over 14 years but this was different,' she wrote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Debenhams.html
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

PR stunt or actual inclusion, I like to see it. Those are nice photos, let's hope it's the beginning of a trend. I agree with the 'confined to a wheelchair' bit by the journalist - that trend seems as if it'll be around forever.
    Originally posted by RehabRhino View Post
    Shame media still go with the cliche 'confined to a wheelchair'

Wheelchair-user becomes first disabled model to star in major High Street campaign
    By TAMARA ABRAHAM
    Last updated at 11:37 AM on 26th February 2010
    Comments (95)
    Add to My Stories

Debenhams today became the first High Street retailer to use a disabled model in its advertising campaigns.
    Shannon Murray, who is confined to a wheelchair, took part in a photo shoot for the department store last week.
    The actress and model, 32, revealed the news on her blog: 'I've been modelling for over 14 years but this was different,' she wrote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Debenhams.html
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

shes hot

Comment

Debenhams?!!! Last time I went there my mum dragged me by the ear to buy school uniform......everything was at least 2 sizes too big so I could "grow into it".....I still get nightmares.

They can use this as their next slogan for free:

Debenhams! You don't have to be disabled to shop here; but buy our clothes and you'll feel like you really are...!

Comment

What a stunning looking girl........

...............I bet even Fuentejps would!

The big question tho' Paul is whether they'd have thee or me in the advert.

Comment

Here is her blog: http://shannonemurray.blogspot.com/

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The original version of that article (yesterday) had a different photo - it showed the model lying on the ground with her legs up on the seat of the wheelchair.

The contrast between the photo and the use of "confined" (twice) and "bound" (once) was pretty striking.

A whole bunch of comments objected to the inclusion of the wheelchair in the photo (nobody complained about the word "confined") - wonder if that's why they switched to a different image?

Comment

The clothes are ugly. ugg lol
                “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
                  The original version of that article (yesterday) had a different photo - it showed the model lying on the ground with her legs up on the seat of the wheelchair.

The contrast between the photo and the use of "confined" (twice) and "bound" (once) was pretty striking.

A whole bunch of comments objected to the inclusion of the wheelchair in the photo (nobody complained about the word "confined") - wonder if that's why they switched to a different image?
                  Ya, that kinda blew my mind here is one of the comments"""""""""""""" This just looks weird, why do they need to show the wheelchair? It has nothing to do with the clothing she is modelling, I just don't get it?"""""""""""""""""""""

- sarah, sunderland, 25/2/2010 15:47""""""""""""""

Some people just don't get it, the wheelchair is a part of who she is, to not show the wheelchair would be an insult to her and other Pwd's.

I think she is beautiful and has a real "girl next door" wholesome look about her. I think she is going to do very well as a model.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz0gh2Sm1Ku
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  challenges you're dealt but
                  the challenges you seek...If
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                    Ya, that kinda blew my mind here is one of the comments"""""""""""""" This just looks weird, why do they need to show the wheelchair? It has nothing to do with the clothing she is modelling, I just don't get it?"""""""""""""""""""""
                    Actually, do you really think that's not a good point? A model may or may not need glasses, but a stylist wouldn't hesitate to ask her to remove them.

Some people just don't get it, the wheelchair is a part of who she is, to not show the wheelchair would be an insult to her and other Pwd's.
                    My wheelchair is a "part" of me the way my car is a part of me. It's a means of transportation. I would actually much prefer to have my pic taken with my car. I wouldn't find it the least bit insulting if they took pics of this model sitting in a regular chair or anything else that did not include the wheelchair.

You are referring to the symbolism of the chair, not the factual aspect of it. My chair symbolizes many things about me, but it is not me and it is not the first thing that I would choose to represent me. There's even another active thread where people are complaining about how the chair is the first thing people remember about them.

I think it would make more sense to include a wheelchair in modeling pics that are not static. Showing people playing in a park or shopping or in any sort of active situation makes more sense than the model just sitting there in her chair. That to me seems like they are just making a point of the disability rather than the disability being beside the point.

C.

Comment

I love it .. the inclusion, finally .. and she is gorgeous!
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Smart Designer

RR~
                        I think the designer is smart, he is designing and displaying clothes to meet the spectrum of a variety of women, in all sizes and shapes.

I wish more designers would think that way. While i can fit in a size well below the US norm, I don't have the height that designers make clothes for.

I hope he meets with success and that it isn't just a PR stunt.

Regarding the phrases, "bound" and "confined" I would hope that the modeling agency for PWD, visAbility would be correcting the medias errors.
                        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Me.... OW

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                          I love it .. the inclusion, finally .. and she is gorgeous!

I agree with lynnifer, SHE IS GORGEOUS. I don't want to toot the horn of the disabled (too loud) but some of the others look like Sloppy Seconds.

Comment

lets hope it becomes common pratice
                            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                            X