No announcement yet.

Cathing 20,000 times this decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sphincterotomy, had one done 25 years ago that went bad around 10 years ago so been cathing since, hated cathing, I looked back to the first 15 years I didnt have to cath and decieded to go through another Spincterotomy yesterday. managed to get it done outpatient, went into the out patient surgery center at 8:30 yesterday mourning and was home by 1 pm, it was not a bad experience at all. Have a indwelling now which I take out Monday. To pee after that I wear a texas cath and simply apply pressure over my bladder area with my hand every 3 hours or so and empty my bladder. Hopefully no more UTI's and lots of less hassle. After I started the intermittant cath program thats when all my UTI problems began, it did not work well for me. I've had to wear a leg bag since 29 years ago so it really does not bother me.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Hi Arndog what if someone was to intermittent cath 20,000 times in a day ?
      AAAAAAAakkkk someone slap me lmao

keep smiling
      Gypsylady

Comment

Curt I hope you get relief and feel better and all UTI's suck
        I truly hope your operation is a great success my Friend
        Sincerely ;
        Fellow Floridian
        Gypsylady

Comment

Curt - hope that works out better.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Thanks folks, hopefully it will do the trick. I had to do something different I was not able to enjoy life the way I should with the path I was going down.
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I would take intermittent cathing over a foley any day, foley is nothing more then a torture device in my opinion.

As far as time wise I would say it takes me 6 or 7 minutes max.

Comment

My husband was having so much trouble with UTI's his doctor suggested a suprapubic catheter. Had the surgery in October, 09 and it's changed monthly. So far, have had home healthcare nurse do it. Sure it will be my job before long. We love it. No more cathing. He was also having to wear a condom and leg bag anyway because he was going inbetween cathing.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacaregiver View Post
                  My husband was having so much trouble with UTI's his doctor suggested a suprapubic catheter. Had the surgery in October, 09 and it's changed monthly. So far, have had home healthcare nurse do it. Sure it will be my job before long. We love it. No more cathing. He was also having to wear a condom and leg bag anyway because he was going inbetween cathing.
                  Thats kind of where I was at, the worst of both worlds ext cath and intermittant cath, now hopefully it will just be ext cath only.
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I have a superpubic cath the thing is good in the fact I have much less UTI's but I think the whole idea of me having a hose out of my belly just grosses me out .

My urologist is great and he changes my hose every 3 weeks which eases my nerves , It is really nothing I could do my own changes as it only takes a little time

In the future I may resort to doing my own . I just despise ugly rubber latex hoses that are like 22 Ga .

Hey Curt I wish you the best and hope youre feeling better

Keep smiling

Gypsylady

Comment

Originally posted by gypsylady View Post
                      I have a superpubic cath the thing is good in the fact I have much less UTI's but I think the whole idea of me having a hose out of my belly just grosses me out .

My urologist is great and he changes my hose every 3 weeks which eases my nerves , It is really nothing I could do my own changes as it only takes a little time

In the future I may resort to doing my own . I just despise ugly rubber latex hoses that are like 22 Ga .

Hey Curt I wish you the best and hope youre feeling better

Keep smiling

Gypsylady
                      You might want to look into one of those mitrofanoffs to cath through your belly button if your bladder has not shrunk too bad, that would get you away from the tube, although if works good where your not getting utis might want to just leave well enough alone. The most important thing is your health.
                      "Life is about how you
                      respond to not only the
                      you have no goals, no
                      mountains to climb, your
                      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp View Post
                        THIS is the reason I am a DIEHARD FOLEY USER. I figured a long time ago that I had better things to do than waste half my life with a finger in my ass and a dick in my hand
                        I have saved over 36000 caths at the rate I was doing them. I, like Mr Coffee, am going to live my life as normal as possible, NOT limiting intake. Started Foley in 96 on my own, no doc recommendation, and started MY kind of bp within a couple months of being out of rehab. Only takes me 2 minutes or so in am and pm each day. No fuss, no mess no suppositories or meds.

Just had a complete, end-to-end checkup recently with many doc visitis and tests. Thank the Lord, I am healthy, poor and wise
                        I'm with you! bag at night, plug during the day and at the gym, easy peasy

B

Comment

Doesn't use of a foley long-term permanently shrink the bladder? I thought I've seen KLD post that before, but maybe I'm mistaken.
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                            I am absolutely disgusted that nothing better has come along for bladder management ... am I'm in my 25th year here ... started out IC, then went to crede/valsalva ... foley since August 2009.
                            I totally agree and I think about this all the time. As I understand it cathing was invented by the ancient Egyptians when they learned to push hollow reeds into the bladder to drain it. Almost every time I cath I think about how the procedure is pretty much the same now as it was thousands of years ago!

Comment

Actually I think we've come a long way from the time their were more urinary tract diversions and foley were the only accepted norm as far as cathing goes.

I remember having to see our family Dr. in 1979 for something when my pediatrician was away and he was totaly wigged out about the fact that I was using ic.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                                THC - Those teenage boys would surely go blind in a year at 2000 lubes per year. But they are certainly having a better time than me and my catheters.
                                OxSquid - really like your analysis.
                                Jody, if I could get a dime refund for recycling each cath, that would amount to 2000 dollars per decade.
                                I can think of something I would buy with that. you would have to pay a redemption, like california and their tin cans. that way you get the redemption tax refunded when the product is recycled.

Comment

Working...
                                X