Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you still a "good" Christian if you only curse when angry?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Are you really from WV?

    Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I'm with Scott on this one. It's not the particular words - it's what you are communicating. Calling somebody a boo-boo head can be a strong curse if the term conveys strong ill intent.

    I'm quite comfortable sitting in a booth in a noisy late-night bar hearing my friends good naturedly use MF as an all purpose noun, adjective and verb. When our conversation is in a quiet restaurant next to a table of women and children, I expect our conversation to be respectful of the setting.
    Good Answer.

    I have heard it said that if you dwiddle in it a little bit, "you might as well go all the way".
    I have read the bible 3 times, and never saw that.

    I use the F word quite often. And, Shit, lots of times. I very seldom swear. or like Jody says,I seldom take the lords name in vain.
    But, that is just my opionon.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
      Calling somebody a boo-boo head can be a strong curse if the term conveys strong ill intent.
      Boo-boo head? That's a shitty strong curse. I would definitely aim for the jugular.

      Comment


        #18
        For those that curse to relieve themselves or feel better.
        You might feel better but others listening might not.
        You're projecting your misery onto others. imo
        I'm of the strong belief what comes out of your mouth is in your heart.
        When I hear someone cursing it makes me think their spirit is unhappy.
        Also when others curse around you, you tend to pick it up.
        I can't stand the word "crap." Try counting how often it's said. Alot.
        Just another word for s--t. They use it freely & I cringe every time I hear it.
        Makes me feel they're miserable. Negative.
        Also look at people's faces when they curse. They look wicked.
        I know I take things very literal.
        But it's alot more fun to be around people positive & uplifting.

        Back to the original question. They're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
        Makes no difference when, where, or why you curse. It's all the same words.
        God wants us to be a joyful spririt to the world. We are told to be Christ like.
        I can't imagine Christ cursing.

        I've done it when I wasn't saved but when the Holy Spirit entered me I stopped.
        sigpic

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
          For those that curse to relieve themselves or feel better.
          You might feel better but others listening might not.
          You're projecting your misery onto others. imo
          I'm of the strong belief what comes out of your mouth is in your heart.
          When I hear someone cursing it makes me think their spirit is unhappy.
          Also when others curse around you, you tend to pick it up.
          I can't stand the word "crap." Try counting how often it's said. Alot.
          Just another word for s--t. They use it freely & I cringe every time I hear it.
          Makes me feel they're miserable. Negative.
          Also look at people's faces when they curse. They look wicked.
          I know I take things very literal.
          But it's alot more fun to be around people positive & uplifting.

          Back to the original question. They're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
          Makes no difference when, where, or why you curse. It's all the same words.
          God wants us to be a joyful spririt to the world. We are told to be Christ like.
          I can't imagine Christ cursing.

          I've done it when I wasn't saved but when the Holy Spirit entered me I stopped.

          I say "crap" all the time because I think it is better than saying shit. When I say "crap", you can almost bet I really mean shit.

          Words are just that...words. Sometimes nothing works better than the F bomb, sometimes it is used so much that it loses its power. It all boils down to respect.

          Mona, I love the way your faith sustains you, but if God wants us to be a joyful spirit in the world, why does he allow us to hit our thumbs with hammers? I can't imagine God sitting on his cloud marking down on his list how many times I say hell or damn.
          Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

          Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

          Comment


            #20
            I think that being a "good Christian" probably has more to do with controlling your anger than controlling your language.
            Foolish

            "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

            "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by MarkPals View Post
              I say "crap" all the time because I think it is better than saying shit. When I say "crap", you can almost bet I really mean shit.

              Words are just that...words. Sometimes nothing works better than the F bomb, sometimes it is used so much that it loses its power. It all boils down to respect.

              Mona, I love the way your faith sustains you, but if God wants us to be a joyful spirit in the world, why does he allow us to hit our thumbs with hammers? I can't imagine God sitting on his cloud marking down on his list how many times I say hell or damn.
              Where did I say he did? God knows we fall short of hitting the mark everyday. When we do we ask for forgiveness and try not to do it again.

              When I say "crap", you can almost bet I really mean shit.
              Exactly what I meant. They say c--p as if they're not cussing.
              But they mean s--t. So they're still cussing.
              sigpic

              Comment


                #22
                I am more a deeds that words gal I guess. My God will give me a pass on a few
                "f...k f..k .ukety .uck f..k f..k"s I think.

                Originally posted by jody View Post
                I got a gutter mouth after my accident. I don't know why. I have since put out effort to curb the habit. cursing god is not the same as oh f...k f..k .ukety .uck f..k f..kt! sometimes it just makes me feel better.
                Jody, I agree, I don;t know why, but it helps. Maybe because for me that mouth is post sci too? I said just about that string the other day in the kitchen, and my daughter (she was 20 .... I am sure she has heard that sort of language before) was horrified!

                Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                Exactly what I meant. They say c--p as if they're not cussing.
                But they mean s--t. So they're still cussing.
                Mona, look at it that way, any thing I say when I am mad is cussing. I know when my kids where small I would say things like "SUGAR!"
                Would that still bother you? Not sure I see any problems with cussing, other than using God's name anyway.
                Last edited by sjean423; 19 Feb 2010, 6:29 PM.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                  Where did I say he did? God knows we fall short of hitting the mark everyday. When we do we ask for forgiveness and try not to do it again.



                  Exactly what I meant. They say c--p as if they're not cussing.
                  But they mean s--t. So they're still cussing.
                  You didn't say it Mona, but you were thinking it, weren't you.


                  I guess the difference between us , is that I do not consider saying words like crap, shit, damn , hell or fuck is cursing. If I say "G. damn you to hell." That might be cussing. Does saying heck , instead of hell, or saying darn instead of damn, or saying geeze instead of Jesus mean I am cussing?

                  What I am trying to say, Mona, is that "MY" God is not going to deduct points for words I say to describe a situation or condition of my life. More important are my actions towards others, and not hurting another living soul.

                  Do I get any extra credit because I can just think the words now, and not speak them?

                  We are funny creatures, we humans, and I remember a statement you made once that cut me worse than any swear word could. It was hateful and bigoted and I am sure offended God much more than four letter words could.

                  I dont mean to be mean, but sometimes we judge others, but miss our own flaws.
                  Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

                  Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                    I think that being a "good Christian" probably has more to do with controlling your anger than controlling your language.
                    That would apply to people not Christian, too. Being a good fellow human is much more important to me than one being a good Christian; the two are often mutually exclusive, imo.

                    As for saying goddamn, I think people mistake what was meant by the commandment about using the Lord's name in vain. One is not supposed to use the Lord's name in vain in the sense that one presumes to know the mind of god, or know his plans, or who or what he is.

                    Like when two countries go to war, they both invoke that god is on their side. Or a person telling another, "That's god's plan." Those are examples of using the Lord's name in vain, not saying 'goddamn it.' This was explained to me by a priest long ago (Yes Mark, in Anaconda), when my mom died while I was in the 10th grade and grappling with some questions about the afterlife.

                    I think Abe said it best, in bold below:

                    Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”
                    I don't know if there's a god or not. I highly doubt it, but Lincoln was a very smart man. I wish only more would follow his advice.

                    Originally posted by MarkPals
                    I dont mean to be mean, but sometimes we judge others, but miss our own flaws.
                    Amen brother.
                    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                    Thanks!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Lewis Black on bad language:

                      *Caution: contains bad language!


                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ufwqY_1nHo

                      Comment


                        #26


                        ...IF someone has the nerve to ask me, I explain that I lost my censor at age 50...and that then I lost my last filter with my SCI even though they installed the IVC filter...and that SCI also causes Tourette Syndrome...

                        ...not sure about the Christian aspect, as I am Zen Buddhist...but figure G_d is a forgiving One...
                        Last edited by S&W Winger; 19 Feb 2010, 9:14 PM.
                        Beverly


                        "A wild patience has taken me this far..."

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                          Also look at people's faces when they curse. They look wicked.
                          Mona, are you familiar with the Phelps family? I don't believe there are many more evil in the heart than those people. Shirley Phelps Roper may toe the line with the Bible from a fundamentalist's point of view, but the words she speaks and her demeanor are pure evil.

                          Watch and be shocked by this woman (even Sean Hannity sees how evil she is):

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I usually feel a little guilt from swearing. just ingrained deep down that it is wrong, and I should know better. I guess if things were more perfect in life, I might try harder to be more perfect too. some things just should not have happened. some things cause me to wonder if there is a god at all. some part of me knows there is. not just me and my shitstained travels. I can see beyond my own nose. in a way I think my swearing is related to being mad a god in general for not giving me real faith. sometimes life is hell in a bucket, and the ride is always free. now look, I said shitstained, and did not even realize I swore until I reread. I swear a lot in exclamation of how I feel. sometimes I really feel like something not so nice to feel. a swear sometimes empowers me to get past what is beyond my control.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
                              Mona, are you familiar with the Phelps family? I don't believe there are many more evil in the heart than those people. Shirley Phelps Roper may toe the line with the Bible from a fundamentalist's point of view, but the words she speaks and her demeanor are pure evil.

                              Lord, save me from Your followers....

                              Comment


                                #30
                                In a note to a friend, I thought "all this sh**". Replaced it with crap, to be a little more polite. Then I edited it, and ended up writing all this stuff. Is stuff then a curse .... I meant the same thing in all 3 instances, and she knew it?
                                T7-8 since Feb 2005

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X