Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do if your dog gets poisoned...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Well true, Hershey's does make dark - sorry for my assumption. I like the good dark chocolate stuff too There is a calculation, how much chocolate for how big a dog, but I don't have it at hand at present. It really is quite a lot though, before it's actually dangerous (to anything besides the rug).

    I didn't mean any offense - ice cubes often would be no problem, just could on occasion. And some are harder than others - depends how big they are, and some freezers seem to make them more concrete than others.

    Comment


    • #17
      yup! that's why i think bit over blown! but just my experience!

      Comment


      • #18
        You're right - it does sound like two bites and the dog drops dead. The flip side though - a tiny dog and a big bunch of chocolates, it can kill them. So I guess the idea is for people to call the vet and check it out - see if they likely ate enough to be dangerous or not. Hopefully getting a vet who'll calculate it, and tell them if they need to come in or not - and not just automatically bring them in and get the fee.

        Did you know, btw (I was surprised to find out) that grapes and raisins are actually poisonous to dogs? In addition to onions...

        http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

        Comment


        • #19
          interesting. my dachsie loved onions!

          Comment


          • #20
            And I've known some who loved grapes. Of course, it's all dose dependant - and it seems individual animals have different tolerances.

            Here's an article on the onions - they cause a form of anemia.

            http://jlhweb.net/Boxermap/onions.html

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by cass View Post
              this whole chocolate thing mystery to me. as a child, had a dog eat whole huge hershey bar (one of those 8 inch types). nobody panicked, dog admonished, no sickness. my 2 dogs i have now have eaten chocolate (they steal it from kitchen). no problems. so don't quite get the dog/chocolate thing.

              and, yes, googled it. never had a dog sick, let alone die, from chocolate.
              Cass, my grandparents' dog used to eat Snickers bars. The dog seemed healthy other than being pretty darn fat. I'm pretty sure she lived a normal doggie lifespan.
              "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TAM63 View Post

                Did you know, btw (I was surprised to find out) that grapes and raisins are actually poisonous to dogs? In addition to onions...

                http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
                I used to let my toy poodle eat small amounts of grapes and apples until he got a really bad intestinal bug. My vet told me that it was important not to feed him fruits due to the risk of bacterial infections and the potential development of diabetes. So, I haven't let him have any fruit since then. He does enjoy ice cubes (I crunch them up for him). He's 14 years old.

                BTW, my Great Aunt used to let her dog eat muscadines and he did eventually die of diabetes related health problems.
                "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's funny how they absolutely adore ice. All of mine do as well.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X