Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

There is this one but I am going to guess it's not the video you shot van quad. It's not bad though.

I also saw the coverage on CTV of you in the torch run although I didn't know it was you until I just read this thread right now. I was almost expecting you to get tazered. Like cowboy crip I thought it was somebody who just got a little too enthusiastic and decided to crash the torch run lol. It makes much more sense now to know you were filming. What a great experience for you to have.

Comment

Van you must know Dennis Cherencko up there. He was a counsellor with BCPA for a longtime and then worked for BC Gov't. Do you have any idea on how he is doing? I heard he was not too good right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
          When you leave junkies at the mercy of the street dealers, they never run into professionals who want to help them. Their world consists of users and pushers. When they come in to use safely, they are with people who have their best interests at heart.

Enforcement doesn't combat the problem. Compassion does. Harm reduction does. HIV rates decline in the most at risk population.
          I have read that one of the main problems in Vancouver (and this is probably similar elsewhere) is that even if you get these people into rehab and cleaned up there is nowhere else they can afford to live but their old neighborhood. So even if someone is trying to stay clean they end up having to walk past 5 or 6 of their old dealers every day and eventually they wear them down until they start using again.

Sad, but shows that just forcing them into jail or rehab alone does not help.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello View Post
            There is this one but I am going to guess it's not the video you shot van quad. It's not bad though.

I also saw the coverage on CTV of you in the torch run although I didn't know it was you until I just read this thread right now. I was almost expecting you to get tazered. Like cowboy crip I thought it was somebody who just got a little too enthusiastic and decided to crash the torch run lol. It makes much more sense now to know you were filming. What a great experience for you to have.
            thanks OJ. That's me in the red vest at 0:17 flashing by. To tell you the truth I couldn't really enjoy the moment because I was preoccupied with all the camera gear. And I'd just witnessed one of the motorcycle cops clip a little girl from behind and send her sprawling. Like I said, it was a crazy 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              Van you must know Dennis Cherencko up there. He was a counsellor with BCPA for a longtime and then worked for BC Gov't. Do you have any idea on how he is doing? I heard he was not too good right now.
              hey Patrick! No, I'm afraid I don't know Dennis. BCPA went through what I call 'the lost years' when nobody heard much from the organization. But I'll ask a couple of friends how he is doing for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B View Post
                I have read that one of the main problems in Vancouver (and this is probably similar elsewhere) is that even if you get these people into rehab and cleaned up there is nowhere else they can afford to live but their old neighborhood. So even if someone is trying to stay clean they end up having to walk past 5 or 6 of their old dealers every day and eventually they wear them down until they start using again.

Sad, but shows that just forcing them into jail or rehab alone does not help.
                You're right. The cheap hotels down there rent for the welfare shelter rate and it's often the only place they can live. But some move back to their home towns or cities when they get cleaned up. We can only guess that they make it long-term.

I met some remarkable people that day who had kicked heroin and were now helping others get off the streets and/or drugs. Interestingly enough, they were amazed at us, the wheelers in attendance, who are living rich and fulfilling lives despite our disabilities.

Comment

Working...
                X