No announcement yet.

Hang over cures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad told me to drink water and baking soda...which made me puke instantly. I did feel better though. I was like 15 at the time, oh the good ol days, having keggers in the woods. He found me passed out in our yard, I almost made it.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

about hangovers

best to prevent ahead of time. Drink a glass of water for each drink, take 1 aspirin before going to sleep, the more clear the drink the less the hangover excepting champagne.

This is one of my published articles

btw the above helps but by the time I need to remeber it I'm to far gone to care.

Water, aspirin after the fact is still best.

Why does my head hurt?
      By Bill Van Ollefen
      August 6 2002

Consider wine or spirits as a fermentation process followed, or not, by a distillation process. Leave all your romantic thoughts about wine and spirits behind as you don a chemist's hat.
      Recall that in wine, we start with grapes and press the liquid from them. But what is this liquid? Primarily, it's water. Consider that everything other than water is merely contaminants.
      The next step is to ferment the juice, to chemically alter some of the contaminants and water, introducing alcohol into the mix. Where we go next will determine whether the end product will be a wine or a spirit.
      For wine, we simply pour the grossly contaminated mixture into stainless steel tanks or, worse, into oaken barrels where the mixture will be further contaminated as it sits in an organic soup with all these contaminants interacting with each other.
      Should a spirit such as cognac be the goal, we'll start to purify this organic soup. We'll distil it. In the process, virtually all of the solids will be left behind. We'll also leave a great deal of water behind.

However, we still bring across a fair amount of contaminants. The process will be repeated. Again, we'll purify the mix through distillation, reducing the water content, raising the alcohol component and leaving behind many of the contaminants. But as with the wine, we're going to dump this much purified liquid into barrels where it will be contaminated anew.
      Let's go back to the romantic notion of wines and spirits and redefine the word "contaminant". Better yet, let's just substitute the word "flavours" or, more correctly, "congeners". The real definition of congeners is anything that is not alcohol (which, like water, has no flavour).
      No matter the wine or spirit, what we actually taste are the congeners, the components of the liquid other than the alcohol. But it is a complex equation wherein the tasteless alcohol and water play a substantial role.
      The palate can taste many of these congeners in minute amounts. So, what a vintner or spirit maker does is try to minimise the unfavourable congeners, while keeping the correct amounts of the favourable ones.
      You know the names of some of these congeners. Tannins immediately come to mind. But they also include other things such as esters, aldehydes and phenolics. There will be hundreds of them in the final product you consume.
      Usually associated with overindulgence, hangovers are commonly manifest in a headache. A hangover is a combination of dehydration, vascular changes in the body and brain and a reaction to one or more of the congeners. If you've noticed you are more likely to get that gnawing headache from bourbon rather than scotch, there is a likelihood that you are more sensitive to the congener components in bourbon. Not much you can do about this if you really have a reaction to a certain type of drink.
      What you can do, though, is consume water. You should drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you drink. This is not a cure-all, but at the least will minimise the dehydration component of the hangover.
      The rest is about moderation and self-knowledge.
      Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
      don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

Before bed , glass water and couple ibuprofen. Get up , same thing. Also eat something greasy in the morning. Big Mac or some sausage.
        oh well

Comment

I don't wake up with one if I drink a glass of water before I go to bed--hydration is the key. Also having a piece of dry toast or a saltine cracker helps. Have more water in the morning and a light breakfast, oh ya bowl of menudo or maybe a Thai curry and some rice.

Comment

Originally posted by kenf View Post
            Before bed , glass water and couple ibuprofen. Get up , same thing. Also eat something greasy in the morning. Big Mac or some sausage.

Ibuprofen is associated with liver damage, particularly in conjunction with alcohol. Best to avoid mixing it with drinking and the aftermath. Better to stick w/aspirin.

Comment

ibuprofen causes liver damage if you have Hep-C. Other then that , no.
              oh well

Comment

Acetaminophen (tylenol) = liver damage.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I would recommend having one drink, followed by a 12-ounce glass of water. So one hour separates your first two drinks. Then 2 waters (two hours) between the second and third drinks. Three waters (three hours) between the third and fourth drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Peter View Post
                    I would recommend having one drink, followed by a 12-ounce glass of water. So one hour separates your first two drinks. Then 2 waters (two hours) between the second and third drinks. Three waters (three hours) between the third and fourth drinks.
                    Kind of takes the fun out of it Uncle Peter Lot of work, and you wouldn't even get snockered....not to mention also being the leader of urination nation.
                    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Peter View Post
                      This reads like an instruction booklet for dodging your round!

Comment

hangovers are for sissies.

Comment

if only this fictional cure was on the market...
                          here is the tantalizing description by p.g. wodehouse
                          (excerpted from 'right ho, jeeves'):

I have had occasion, I fancy, to speak before now of these pick-me-ups of Jeeves's and their effect on a fellow who is hanging to life by a thread on the morning after. What they consist of, I couldn't tell you. He says some kind of sauce, the yolk of a raw egg and a dash of red pepper, but nothing will convince me that the thing doesn't go much deeper than that. Be that as it may, however, the results of swallowing one are amazing.

For perhaps the split part of a second nothing happens. It is as though all Nature waited breathless. Then, suddenly, it is as if the Last Trump had sounded and Judgment Day set in with unusual severity.
                          Bonfires burst out all in parts of the frame. The abdomen becomes heavily charged with molten lava. A great wind seems to blow through the world, and the subject is aware of something resembling a steam hammer striking the back of the head. During this phase, the ears ring loudly, the eyeballs rotate and there is a tingling about the brow.
                          And then, just as you are feeling that you ought to ring up your lawyer and see that your affairs are in order before it is too late, the whole situation seems to clarify. The wind drops. The ears cease to ring. Birds twitter. Brass bands start playing. The sun comes up over the horizon with a jerk.
                          And a moment later all you are conscious of is a great peace.
                          As I drained the glass now, new life seemed to burgeon within me. I remember Jeeves, who, however much he may go off the rails at times in the matter of dress clothes and in his advice to those in love, has always had a neat turn of phrase, once speaking of someone rising on stepping-stones of his dead self to higher things. It was that way with me now. I felt that the Bertram Wooster who lay propped up against the pillows had become a better, stronger, finer Bertram.

Comment

I love Jeeves and Bertie so!
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Working...
                            X