No announcement yet.

High heating bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine runs $150-$225 for 400 sq ft. Ridiculous!
    I use the only source I have for this place electric.
    The problem is it's a 220 ac/heater wall unit.
    It's higher in the winter.
    I do keep it high when I use it. 78-80
    But I don't even cut it on during the day, just at night.
    My aides don't like it on. Hot natured.
    I bundle up day & night.
    I do have a space heater Sjean which I use when it's not that cold.
    sigpic

Comment

SCI Nurse - who would the lower heating/cooling costs for SCI/MS be through, Local utilities or local government?? I haven't heard of this before.

Comment

We heat with propane...our tank is 300 gal/my younger son's is a 500 gallon tank...average is about 100 gallons a month and our delivery is every 3 months. I keep it at 74 through the cold months and 72 during the summer...and try not to touch it...if my son gets chilled it takes forever to get him warm again. propane here in Oklahoma is at $2.26, ouch....Everything else is electric...

Comment

~1150 sq ft apartment, keep it between 70-72 degrees, electric bill is typically $67/mo or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Susqu View Post
            SCI Nurse - who would the lower heating/cooling costs for SCI/MS be through, Local utilities or local government?? I haven't heard of this before.
            Usually your county energy assistance program if you qualify. Good luck!

Comment

Geez all your heat bills are low, I must have holes in my house cuz my bill runs about $270 -300, there are a few months where my bill is around $125. My house is 1900 square feet but it has alot of open spaces so that might be why it never stays warm.
              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
                Usually your county energy assistance program if you qualify. Good luck!
                I never heard of that either..so you have to be on disability & receiving assistance in order to qualify?
                Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

!

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                  In Florida its great, this time of year I dont need to run either the a/c or heat as it averages around 72 during the day and 59 @ night so my house stays around 70 degrees. Electric bill only runs around $40.00 per month. When I arrived here in October it was a different story, it was around 90 degrees outside and had to run the a/c a lot and it cost around $100.00 per month. We had a cold snap also back in December where it was getting as low as 25 degrees out at night and I had to run the heat a lot which is the most inefficient form of heat possible, electric with a blower. I've yet to see Decembers heating bill, but I'm willing to bet its around $150.00 at least. It was a 13 day cold snap and a lot my plants around the yard died from the freeze.
                  That settles it - I'm moving to Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Susqu View Post
                    In our part of Illinois we have Ameren IP for utiltities and they won't even acknowledge the need for electricity. I was told you could contact them and let them know you needed your power back on ASAP like for dialysis or feeding pump, etc and then you would have priority in getting your power turned back on sooner. But when I contacted them they said yea we have a list but in reality they just do the best they can. No mention of any discounts. I will check back into it though.

Comment

Originally posted by madmaddmother View Post
                      We heat with propane...our tank is 300 gal/my younger son's is a 500 gallon tank...average is about 100 gallons a month and our delivery is every 3 months. I keep it at 74 through the cold months and 72 during the summer...and try not to touch it...if my son gets chilled it takes forever to get him warm again. propane here in Oklahoma is at $2.26, ouch....Everything else is electric...

Propane here just jumped from $2.20 to $4.95. Unless you prepaid in the fall for so many gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                        That settles it - I'm moving to Florida
                        And back to IL during hurricane season? Every place has one or more downsides. The thing that I do not like about FL is that the state is overrun with crotchety old northerners.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                          Propane here just jumped from $2.20 to $4.95. Unless you prepaid in the fall for so many gallons.
                          omg...think we'll move to Florida too...maybe we can share a house on the beach!

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                            I never heard of that either..so you have to be on disability & receiving assistance in order to qualify?
                            It goes by your household income and what it cost you last year, don't need to be disabled. Check with your county about energy assistance, they even help with windows, insulation, making your house more energy efficent.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              Also keep in mind that if you have a SCI or MS and have poor temperature control, you may qualify for a special lower rate for both heating and cooling costs. It is not available in all circumstances, but often is, and generally just requires completion of a form and a signature by your physician. It can help a little.

(KLD)
                              In my state this is income based. My son uses what our state designates life support and I use C-Pap and you have to go thru hoops to not get the utilities turned off. Then, they only give you 30 days.
                              Last edited by cheesecake; 1 Feb 2010, 9:19 AM.
                              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Wow, many of you people have it great with your heat bills.

I live in frozen hell called Wisconsin and live in only an apartment, yet from December through Feb, my heat bill runs from 220-300 dollars a month. November and March can run me 150-225 depending on the weather.

I should say that includes my electricity charges also into one bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X