No announcement yet.

"Okay, you can get up now..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get that too a lot, whenever going for xrays or whatever kind of diagnostic test that requires being moved, the techs see my phrenic pacer unit and ask "do you need this?"

Just to breathe.

I also once had a doctor (granted, a dermatologist) tell me that I didn't need a headrest as my neck was fused.

Comment

I still would rather go to the vet. I envy the great care my pets get.

Comment

As the vets say, "Real doctors treat more than one species!"

Comment

Happened to us twice today, had to take David in for x-rays of his foot which they just pinned due to the tone. X-ray tech who has taken his x-rays each time says "ok can you get over here on this table" um...they pinned his foot but they didn't fix his capability to walk. So then we go in to see the Dr. and he says "have you tried walking on it yet?" again...NO.

Comment

All future responses please post your medical center and city so the rest of us make sure to NEVER go there!
            "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPals View Post
              ...she had promised her son to take him skiing, and she was not going to go back on her word to him. Then she says to me"after all, I deserve a life too"
              Too bad her and her son didn't break their necks! oooopss, did I type that out loud? Sooo sorry...
              "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

A year and a half ago, I was dropped at the hospital and broke my pelvis. We only had (at that time) two surgeons in Butte. One is a woman, and she was on call when I fell. At that time I was very malnourished, and dehydrated. I was coming off pneumonia, and I admit that I was a train wreck, but I needed surgery. She kept putting it off, and I was dying with the pain. Ann and Mike called another Dr in and he told her she had to do the surgery. This was on Friday and they scheduled the surgery for Saturday. About 9pm she came in and told me that she was not going to do the surgery, her partner was doing it...she had promised her son to take him skiing, and she was not going to go back on her word to him. Then she says to me"after all, I deserve a life too"! I couldn't believe how stupid she was to tell me that! All she had to say was that she was not available to do the surgery...instead she made herself look like a spineless coward. I hope she had to take his call for months. Long story short...he did the surgery, I had great relief in just a few day, and healed up fine. He is a hero in my eyes, and she is a , well she is all that and more. (Use your imaginations here folks)

So what's the big deal? Surgeons do a lot for people, who cares if she went skiing and someone else did your surgery?
                Death and taxes

Comment

I hate when I wheel into some place for an appointment and the receptionist says "just take a seat and I'll call you when ......" I often give then a look and say "I'm sitting".

Comment

Usually when people say something like that they quickly catch themselves and say "Oh-I'm so sorry."
                    The worst we had was a few months ago Dave had to see a new ENT to take a look down his throat to figure out why he could not tolerate the speaking valve. He acted afraid of Dave and only did half of the scope ans then stopped saying "You will have to come back when he is feeling better."
                    The RT who we met at the hospital and came along as a friend and I just looked at each other like "WTF?" Did he think was was going to walk in there and tell him himself what he needed?
                    Luckilly we had a re eval at Craig, saw a great ENT and Dave was fitted with a different type of trach and a script for some breathing treatments for the granuloma (?) he saw when scoping. He also told us one of Dave's vocal cords was paralyzed, most likely from when he had to be intubated when had pnuemonia in June. Now Dave does have a voice most of the time. He is on a vent at night only.
                    Sorry for the long post. Dave wanted me to tell about this.
                    We are really enjoying hearing everyone's stories and reading threads. "Mrs.Dave"

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine View Post
                      So what's the big deal? Surgeons do a lot for people, who cares if she went skiing and someone else did your surgery?
                      The big deal is that she was my doctor. I hired her, she was not doing me any favors, and she would have been well paid for her job. Most surgeons do a lot for people, but every once in a while there is a slacker in the bunch, and when you are talking about someone's life, there is no room for slackers.
                      My complaint was that she did not have to tell me why she was not doing the surgery...it made her sound petulant and unprofessional. Of course, she deserves a life, but to tell a patient that her life supercedes his is not very trust insuring.

Obviously, someone in power thought it was a big deal also, because two other staff members filed a complaint against her.

As I said in my post, everything turned out fine, but I would never consider having her participate in my care again. If you would like her do do work on you, however, I will be happy to give you her name.
                      Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Comment

The big deal is that she was my doctor. I hired her, she was not doing me any favors, and she would have been well paid for her job. Most surgeons do a lot for people, but every once in a while there is a slacker in the bunch, and when you are talking about someone's life, there is no room for slackers.
                        My complaint was that she did not have to tell me why she was not doing the surgery...it made her sound petulant and unprofessional. Of course, she deserves a life, but to tell a patient that her life supercedes his is not very trust insuring.

Obviously, someone in power thought it was a big deal also, because two other staff members filed a complaint against her.

As I said in my post, everything turned out fine, but I would never consider having her participate in my care again. If you would like her do do work on you, however, I will be happy to give you her name.
                        I wonder what made her think she needed to explain herself in a defensive manner. I bet there's more to this than you are saying.
                        Death and taxes

Comment

Originally posted by Cspine View Post
                          I wonder what made her think she needed to explain herself in a defensive manner. I bet there's more to this than you are saying.
                          If you had read my post, you would have seen that I explained that because of other health problems I am a train wreck, and she did not want to risk doing surgery. She put it off for a long time and I was in pain. Another doctor had to step in and tell her I needed the surgery. I think she was very surprised when I survived and did as well as I did. I would like to think I did it just to spite her.

What did I ever do to you to make me have to go on the defensive? Anything else you would like to know about my life, just ask Buddy.
                          Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Comment

I saw a massage therapist once who spent about 45 minutes feeling the muscles in my arms and then told me that the reason I couldn't move my fingers was because I was paralyzed. She then stopped by my house the next week for an appointment I didn't schedule, and also brought me by some silly putty so that I could start to exercise my fingers...
                            I just gave the silly putty to my kids.

Comment

I shouldn't be laughing, but that is so absurd. "You can't move because...you're paralyzed."

I really hope she didn't charge you for that profound and insightful diagnosis.

MarkPals, you are no doubt a lot better off with a new doctor. There is nothing more demeaning than being made to feel like a burden and nuisance by a supposed health care provider.

Comment

Back on topic...

I had an EMT insist that I was a para because I could move my arms. After a small debate over it, he actually laughed at me for not accepting his word as fact. I told him to ask the ambulance driver, who corrected him. No big deal, but there was an awkward silence till we got to the ER.
                                Death and taxes

Comment

Working...
                                X