No announcement yet.

When SCI is cured – what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When SCI is cured I'll still be a quadriplegic, but hopefully you will turn your attention (and research money) to peripheral nerve diseases like mine.
    NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Two points -

First: The question is clearly not meant to be limited: "cure" in this context means the complete body is restored (right, Leif?).

Second: The poll options are not really as silly as they look; they boil down to something like these:
      1) I would be the person I once was, with no changes,
      2) I would be the person I once was, but act with a better appreciation of life, and
      3) I would act crazy without inhibitions.

I expect just about everyone would choose 2).

Or - the options could alternatively be reduced to:
      1) I would do any of the mundane things I can't do now
      2) I would do crazy things

And now, answering for my wife: She would walk up the stairs to the second story of our house. Then we would fly out to the small airstrip at Pacific City and walk in the sand along the edge of the surf.

So is this a pointless exercise? Well maybe, but everyone, SCI or not, needs to fantasize sometimes.

- Richard

Comment

I'd hunt while walking the woods and fields from morning till night day after day wether it was winter, spring, summer, fall. I wouldn't need a car, I'd be walking where ever I went. In real life my Great Grandpa walked from MN. to Chicago then back to MN. and then to St. Louis and back. He lived to be just over 100. Thanks Grandpa for getting in some extra steps for me!

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
          Two points -

First: The question is clearly not meant to be limited: "cure" in this context means the complete body is restored (right, Leif?).

Second: The poll options are not really as silly as they look; they boil down to something like these:
          1) I would be the person I once was, with no changes,
          2) I would be the person I once was, but act with a better appreciation of life, and
          3) I would act crazy without inhibitions.

I expect just about everyone would choose 2).

Or - the options could alternatively be reduced to:
          1) I would do any of the mundane things I can't do now
          2) I would do crazy things

And now, answering for my wife: She would walk up the stairs to the second story of our house. Then we would fly out to the small airstrip at Pacific City and walk in the sand along the edge of the surf.

So is this a pointless exercise? Well maybe, but everyone, SCI or not, needs to fantasize sometimes.

- Richard
          10-4 and well put. You are a smart and good bloke (like we did'nt knew). And I so wish you and wife fly again. You are right on all the above.
          Last edited by Leif; 24 Jan 2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by woman from europe View Post
            i am thinking the same as you, even if i am incomplete and have a low injury. I am sure it will be very painful and with a lot of nerve pain. I don't know if i want the pain. I have had so much nervepain for 20 years even if i don't have it now. Do i want that?
            Ohhh my leg.

Comment

well, all i know is i'm paralyzed and in horrible pain until i die. of that, i have no doubt.

my hope is for future generations. there will be something, i am positive of that. but i know i am in this for the count, no illusions. i've known this since i first was told what had happened to me.

i just didn't know about the relentless pain. and, given the pain increase last 3 yrs, i am scared. but, nothing to be done. que sera, sera. i cannot change it and i can only try not to worry.

i read somewhere that the person who worries has no faith in their god. think it was a character in a novel. but it struck a chord w/me.

Comment

[QUOTE=cass;1156130]well, all i know is i'm paralyzed and in horrible pain until i die. of that, i have no doubt.[/QUOT]Why?

Comment

[QUOTE=Leif;1156136]
                  Originally posted by cass View Post
                  well, all i know is i'm paralyzed and in horrible pain until i die. of that, i have no doubt.[/QUOT]Why?
                  because i know the timeframe. will not happen in my lifetime. it really is, imo, ridiculous to think a cure will happen and my life restored. maybe at hogwarts.

my brother was diagnosed w/juvenile diabetes in mid 70's. then we were told cure around the corner. he died in jan 1988, still taking insulin shots. the American Diabetes Assoc still says cure is near.

cancer has robbed me of my cousin, my bro, my best friend (a few others). i still am told donate, we'll beat this. i have no doubt we will someday. i currently have something on my back (mole gone bad). derm will see me 2/2.

i'm tired of hearing it. these things take time. more time than i have. i accepted that long ago. reality has hit me too many times.

Comment

[QUOTE=cass;1156158]
                    Originally posted by Leif View Post

because i know the timeframe. will not happen in my lifetime. it really is, imo, ridiculous to think a cure will happen and my life restored. maybe at hogwarts.

my brother was diagnosed w/juvenile diabetes in mid 70's. then we were told cure around the corner. he died in jan 1988, still taking insulin shots. the American Diabetes Assoc still says cure is near.

cancer has robbed me of my cousin, my bro, my best friend (a few others). i still am told donate, we'll beat this. i have no doubt we will someday. i currently have something on my back (mole gone bad). derm will see me 2/2.

i'm tired of hearing it. these things take time. more time than i have. i accepted that long ago. reality has hit me too many times.
                    We work super hard on cancer cures. And better than before. Hey, say if one could say the same for sci too? Why not. It's not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                      well, all i know is i'm paralyzed and in horrible pain until i die. of that, i have no doubt.

my hope is for future generations. there will be something, i am positive of that. but i know i am in this for the count, no illusions. i've known this since i first was told what had happened to me.

i just didn't know about the relentless pain. and, given the pain increase last 3 yrs, i am scared. but, nothing to be done. que sera, sera. i cannot change it and i can only try not to worry.

i read somewhere that the person who worries has no faith in their god. think it was a character in a novel. but it struck a chord w/me.
                      I am not commenting on the SCI cure here (I am not knowledgeable) but there seems to be an increased interest in pain management. Hopefully that will spill over into research - so I hope there will at the least be hope for you to be in less pain.

I'm sorry Cass.

Comment

If I was cured I'd be Forest Gump and start jogging and never stop.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd go to the beach, sink my feet into the sand and feel every little grain go through my toes then run for miles until I couldn't go any farther then just lay there and feel the waves come over me and not worry about a thing.

Since you didn't have this option I voted, "Be myself."
                          Injured:10-16-04
                          C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                          Blog:
                          http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                          Facebook:
                          http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                          Progress:
                          http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                          My drawings:
                          http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

I would do something sporty. Last two things before my injury were sports.

After that, I would probably be bored so I would be myself again.

Comment

Party after my house is painted and dance like no one is watching!
                              T6 complete

Comment

Working...
                              X