No announcement yet.

hey cat people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more suggestions on the sample, but we have had similar issues over the years with cats that have resulted in diagnoses of diabetes, bladder infection, bladder stone (very common in males and can be caused by the ash content in dry kibbles if kitty is susceptible) and a kidney problem.

(Obviously, that was several different cats over the years)

They would tend to find a soft place to go (piles of towels/.clothes on the floor) because it hurt to pee .... they were looking for relief.

I think sometimes the bed bit (we had that happen too) was a way to try and tell you they need help?

In the meantime, can you cover your bed ..... get a plastic picnic tablecloth, or a shower curtain to use as a bedspread?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
      No more suggestions on the sample, but we have had similar issues over the years with cats that have resulted in diagnoses of diabetes, bladder infection, bladder stone (very common in males and can be caused by the ash content in dry kibbles if kitty is susceptible) and a kidney problem.

(Obviously, that was several different cats over the years)

They would tend to find a soft place to go (piles of towels/.clothes on the floor) because it hurt to pee .... they were looking for relief.

I think sometimes the bed bit (we had that happen too) was a way to try and tell you they need help?

In the meantime, can you cover your bed ..... get a plastic picnic tablecloth, or a shower curtain to use as a bedspread?
      this is my thought also. no bed at the moment. I am saving for a new mattress, but have to spay the little one too, and am sending money to my son to neuter his kitten. so It will be a 20.00 air mattress for a while. He is not allowed in my room at all. I just dont want to enforce his peeing in there or I would allow it just to get a sample. He is on low ash food. He has gained weight since the kitten has been here because he sneeks her food. she is crated to eat her food, and his low cal low ash food is left out. He throws up if not allowed to snack throughout the day, though his ration is just distributed over the day. he has only peed on my bed and not throw rugs and towels as other cats on my past have when suffering a uti. He wants in my room everytime he wants to pee. hates peeing in the boxes. first he will look at my door, and I say no! in the box. He looks at it, huffs, and eventually uses the box, or we go outside. now that he knows I want him to pee he will not go outside ether.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
        this is my thought also. no bed at the moment. I am saving for a new mattress, but have to spay the little one too, and am sending money to my son to neuter his kitten. so It will be a 20.00 air mattress for a while. He is not allowed in my room at all. I just dont want to enforce his peeing in there or I would allow it just to get a sample. He is on low ash food. He has gained weight since the kitten has been here because he sneeks her food. she is crated to eat her food, and his low cal low ash food is left out. He throws up if not allowed to snack throughout the day, though his ration is just distributed over the day. he has only peed on my bed and not throw rugs and towels as other cats on my past have when suffering a uti. He wants in my room everytime he wants to pee. hates peeing in the boxes. first he will look at my door, and I say no! in the box. He looks at it, huffs, and eventually uses the box, or we go outside. now that he knows I want him to pee he will not go outside ether.
        I know this sounds mean but I hope he is sick .... it is so much easier to fix than if it is a behavior thing!

We had a stray we adopted that had the same food issues as it sounds yours has (from another post too). When we put out food he would have to gobble it all down, and then would throw up. If there wasn;t "enough" he would get very upset, and we had more than one cat too, so he was getting more than his share. What finally worked for him was to give him a constant supply of kibble, so it never was empty. I swore it wasn't a good idea (wasn't my idea, LOL) and that he would just eat even MORE, but it seemed he got the idea that he wasn't going to go hungry anymore and didn't have to binge.
        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Your vet is 100 percent wrong about diabetic cats being thin -- Moo was 19 pounds when he was diagnosed and started taking insulin twice a day.

I think your instincts are right on the money -- the excessive drinking/thirst is a big warning sign. If Jack is diabetic and it goes untreated, he could start to lose the use of his back legs. I would insist that the vet check Jack's sugar levels along with the urinalysis for infection once you're able to get that urine sample.

I sure hope you can find a way to post the video of you and Jack going for your walk -- that is the coolest thing I've ever heard! One of Moo's many nicknames is Puppy/the Puppycat because he's always behaved like a loyal little dog, and it sounds like Jack is an ultimate Puppycat, too.

It's so sweet that you've become a Moo fan. He's my baby.
          It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Of course diabetic cats can be fat.

Excessive drinking and peeing can be a sign of diabetes - but can be a sign of a urinary tract infection too. They vet should be able to tell the difference - at least I certainly hope so.

Comment

well he did pee in the gravel, but I had too much in the pan and did not wash the dust out first, so hope I get it right this time. I am afraid it is kidney failer. though his kidneys were ok when he had his surgery a year and a half ago. again most cats with chronic kidney disease are thin with a poor apatite, but this is what I fear about my big ole boy jack.

Comment

Jody, can you get a urine strip at a pharmacy, and just dip it in whatever pee you can find? You can wring some out of a wet sheet if you have to. It's not ideal, but better than nothing - should show leukocytes usually.

A UTI is the most likely thing, although of course the others are possibilities.

If the vet cannot find a way to get some urine (which is frankly ridiculous) they can draw blood and run basic tests to check kidney function anyway.

Is there any other vet? Getting pee from a cat should not be rocket science for a vet. (I do appreciate it can be difficult for owners).

Comment

I got a nice clean sample by sneeking a flat jar lid under him. he had refused the gravel and just saved it so I gave him a clean box and he didnt even notice the jar lid. not nice looking peepee. dark and cloudy. we are one our way to the vet now.

Comment

I'm glad you got a sample. I hope it turns out to be something easily treatable.

Comment

Jody,
                      In the rescue we have to express the bladder if they can not. The vets will charge you a mint to do it and for some reason it wont let me post it.
                      Google
                      Express a cats bladder
                      its not all to hard
                      hope this helps

Comment

he has a bad uti, however may also have kidney disease. no stones and good ph. he has gone from almost 18 pounds to 13. he was sadated to take blood so is very drunk. I got a picture of the peeping tom looking in our windows. the vet is going to lend me a motion sensitive squirt system to discourage the peeping from hanging round outside our windows. also I have a volunteer job at their no kill shelter now, and will be doing the rescue and adoption web page entries. as well as working with kittys that need extra socializing. I am excited about having something usefull to do.

Comment

I hope Jack recovers, and that his kidneys are ok. Even if he does have some kidney disease, with some nursing they can live pretty long happy lives in many cases. We gave a friend of mine's cat sub-q fluids (easy to do at home) and he went on quite happily for years.

If he has lost that much weight suddenly, your vet really should test him for hyperthyroidism - cats are prone to that, and it will cause weight loss and can lead to kidney disease.

Congrats on the volunteer stuff, sounds great.

Comment

nuit, the kitten is terrified of sedated jack, while strawberry is nursemaid, concerned and trying to lick his face. I have never seen a cat behave like nuit is toward jack who is trying to come out of his stupor. she is just petrified of jack. I had to give her a bath and put her in a different room, she is so upset she pooped herself, and is all puffed and spitting and if she had a voice would be screaming, but she just has a gasping whisper.
                            Last edited by jody; 23 Jan 2010, 5:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Don't worry, sometimes they do that. Just keep them apart until everything settles down.

Comment

Originally posted by TAM63 View Post
                                I hope Jack recovers, and that his kidneys are ok. Even if he does have some kidney disease, with some nursing they can live pretty long happy lives in many cases. We gave a friend of mine's cat sub-q fluids (easy to do at home) and he went on quite happily for years.

If he has lost that much weight suddenly, your vet really should test him for hyperthyroidism - cats are prone to that, and it will cause weight loss and can lead to kidney disease.

Congrats on the volunteer stuff, sounds great.
                                jack would need a port if his tests are positive he gets extremely stressed with too much fussing. the vet says it is because he is declawed and feels more defensless. He shows signs of extreme abuse in his behavior. I mean he has had the holy tar beat out of him so is hard to work with. His full blood panel should be back on monday. I have some video of him all drunk and of how the other cats reacted when he came home. poor nuit. jack looks like he has a headache, and is still vomiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X