No announcement yet.

Official Weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just heard my city described on the TV news as the new Atlantis, as great sections are now totally submerged under flood waters. An apartment building nearby had to be evacuated (all 100 tenants) by boat, and other areas are watching the water rise out of their basements and into their first floor living spaces. I live in a second floor condo, so as long as the power stays on I should be fine, and my car seems to be in a slightly elevated area, but it is really bad around here. High tide is about one this morning, so there is lots of concern about that as the ocean is overtopping the sea wall already. We have had nearly 8 inches of rain in the last 38 hours, and the brooks, streams, and rivers are spilling out everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      I just heard my city described on the TV news as the new Atlantis, as great sections are now totally submerged under flood waters. An apartment building nearby had to be evacuated (all 100 tenants) by boat, and other areas are watching the water rise out of their basements and into their first floor living spaces. I live in a second floor condo, so as long as the power stays on I should be fine, and my car seems to be in a slightly elevated area, but it is really bad around here. High tide is about one this morning, so there is lots of concern about that as the ocean is overtopping the sea wall already. We have had nearly 8 inches of rain in the last 38 hours, and the brooks, streams, and rivers are spilling out everywhere.
      Sorry to hear this, Eileen. Please stay safe.

This spring is going to be a bad one for flooding in various parts of the country as all the extra snow melts as well.
      "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Just got power back late last night. Was off since saturday. howling down rain over the weekend flooded the "waterproofed" basement because I didn't get the Battery back up too much $$$. not too much spoiled food, got new fridges and they seem very well insulated plus it was cold in the house, 50 degrees.

aarrgghh at least it is a nice day today
        Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
        don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

Here we go again. Just two weeks after one of the heaviest rainfalls ever experienced here, with massive flooding in my city, we are in the midst of another big storm predicted to drop as much as six or seven inches of rain. Some people are still trying to get their basements pumped out from the last storm, and a few terribly unlucky people have actually had their homes condemened because of water damage. I always have thought of homes being condemned from things like tornado's or earthquakes, not just endless rain that keeps coming. Even in New Orleans the water depth was caused by failed levies, but this is just rain. I am not too personally worried about it as my building mostly rode out the last storm, although some people had big damage just from the wind forcing the rain in around windows, but I am expecting another few days of road closures and more damage locally. Last storm I took what should have been a twenty minute ride that took over an hour and a half because so many roads were closed.

Comment

Just after I finished the above post I got this from the emergency weather network. Oh goodie, again.....

* NATL WEATHER SVC RADAR INDICATED POCKETS OF HEAVY RAIN
            FALLING ACROSS SE MASSACHUSETTS.RI AND
            NW CT. AS OF 1145 AM.THREE QUARTERS TO ONE
            & A HALF INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN. ANOTHER LARGE AREA OF
            MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN SO. OF LONG ISLAND WILL SPREAD ACROSS
            S. NEW ENGLAND BY EARLY AFTERNOON.

FLOODING WILL BE AT LEAST AS WORSE AS IT WAS 2 WEEKS AGO. THIS IS
            GOING TO BE A PROLONGED PERIOD OF URBAN & SMALL STREAM FLOODING
            FROM THIS AFTERNOON.LASTING WELL INTO TUES MORNING.

MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN VEHICLES. NEVER DRIVE INTO AREAS WHERE
            WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. FLOOD WATERS ARE USUALLY DEEPER THAN THEY
            APPEAR. JUST ONE FOOT OF FLOWING WATER IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO SWEEP
            VEHICLES OFF THE ROAD. WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED ROADS MAKE THE SMART
            CHOICE.TURN AROUND.DONT DROWN.

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAIN WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF CREEKS AND
            SMALL STREAMS. SIGNIFICANT FLOODING OF URBAN AREAS.INCLUDING ROADS
            AND UNDERPASSES.IS ALSO EXPECTED. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED
            AREAS.

Comment

That is bad, we never have extreme weather of any kind. But we seldom has a nice and hot summer either.

Take care, Eileen
              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Same as Eileen here going for a record rainfall for May I guess, but they predict a warm weekend! Lets see if they can predict 5 days out now.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Adelaide's weather...

23° C | 11° C

26° C | 11° C

25° C | 13° C

27° C | 14° C

28° C | 14° C
                  Scattered Clouds Clear Partly Cloudy Clear Scattered Clouds

Comment

How to Build an Ark
                    From Boston.com
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                      How to Build an Ark
                      From Boston.com
                      Sjean, how are things in your area? It is just dreadful here, roads closed everywhere and water getting higher by the hour.

Comment

RIGHT where I am is fine, but there are a lot of areas where it is not. A lot of roads closed, At least one bridge washed away from what I saw on the news.
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/weath...ille.flooding/

This is crazy. And it is still raining....
                          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

That was what it was like up here the last week of March. Then of course, the weatherforcasters start "worrying" because April was dry. HELLO?? I think we had enough in March to tide us over.

But it is hot here today. 90 in New England in May?
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                              That was what it was like up here the last week of March. Then of course, the weatherforcasters start "worrying" because April was dry. HELLO?? I think we had enough in March to tide us over.

But it is hot here today. 90 in New England in May?
                              One of the ironies is that despite the flooding, the homes ruined or condemned, now they are saying the risk of a fire is sky high and that the grass is bone dry. It really does feel like the environment is a little crazy this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X