Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass the curry please

Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'

An extract found in the bright yellow curry spice turmeric can kill off cancer cells, scientists have shown.

The chemical - curcumin - has long been thought to have healing powers and is already being tested as a treatment for arthritis and even dementia.

Now tests by a team at the Cork Cancer Research Centre show it can destroy gullet cancer cells in the lab.

Cancer experts said the findings in the British Journal of Cancer could help doctors find new treatments.

Dr Sharon McKenna and her team found that curcumin started to kill cancer cells within 24 hours.

'Natural' remedy

The cells also began to digest themselves, after the curcumin triggered lethal cell death signals.

Dr McKenna said: "Scientists have known for a long time that natural compounds have the potential to treat faulty cells that have become cancerous and we suspected that curcumin might have therapeutic value."

Dr Lesley Walker, director of cancer information at Cancer Research UK, said: "This is interesting research which opens up the possibility that natural chemicals found in turmeric could be developed into new treatments for oesophageal cancer.

"Rates of oesophageal cancer have gone up by more than a half since the 70s and this is thought to be linked to rising rates of obesity, alcohol intake and reflux disease so finding ways to prevent this disease is important too."

Each year around 7,800 people are diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in the UK. It is the sixth most common cause of cancer death and accounts for around five percent of all UK cancer deaths.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...th/8328377.stm

Published: 2009/10/28 00:02:27 GMT

I was just reading about tumeric. Looking up some recipes with it.
    I bought some last week and wanted to integrate it into my diet.
    I already make sure I have 1 tbls of tomato (licopene), cinnamon, and pomegranite juice each day.
    I eat salad for supper everyday and use lots of spices in it.
    I believe God made herbs and spices to keep us healthy.
    It would be great if tumeric could help heal cancer or keep us from getting it.
    Thanks interesting article.
    sigpic

Comment

Usually, in studies like this that finds some potential benefits and uses, one would have to eat like truckloads for any effects in raw form. But, it doesn't hurt, especially if one enjoys eating curry (or whatever else is in discussion).

Comment

Since I love Indian food eating curry isn't a hardship for me!

Comment

I don''t know what to cook Indian.
          sigpic

Comment

Mona, do a web search for Indian food recipies. There are wonderful dishes out there and it isn't terribly difficult cooking since most of it involves a meat or veggie of your choice with the great sauces that contain cumin and tumeric.

Comment

Mona, start with this page, but there are lots of them out there.

http://www.iloveindia.com/nutrition/recipes/index.html

Comment

Thanks Eileen. Is there a dish that is common at Indian Restaurants that's good?
                Is there anything at the grocery store Indian already made? That you know of.
                I eat basically southern cooking. lol

I'll ck the link out. thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

I'm weird... I don't like the taste of Indian curry, but love Thai curry. Hope it has the same benefits.
                  "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Mona, if you want to go the easy route (and I am ALL about easy) there are some frozen Indian dinners in the supermarket by a company called Ethnic Gourmet. They are sort of small, at least for an appetite like mine, but they taste pretty good and you can experiment without spending a fortune. I like tandoori chicken and channa masala (chickpeas in a great tasting sauce) and there is another one that I am forgetting the name of but is a creamy spinach dish.

McDuff, I think the yellow Thai curry would definitely have the same benefits!

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                      I'm weird... I don't like the taste of Indian curry, but love Thai curry. Hope it has the same benefits.
                      As I live most of the time in Thailand I can assure you that in all thai curries is integrated a type of tumeric .

Comment

Sounds a lot better than esophageal cancer! My father survived it, and he's a rarity. The treatment itself is sheer torture. Chemo, radiation, surgery, starvation. It takes a tough human w/ $$ to survive it. Unfortunately, Dad can tolerate no spices since then. Hell, he relies on a stomach tube for nutrition.

Let me know if you find any good recipes!
                        Blog:
                        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                          Mona, if you want to go the easy route (and I am ALL about easy) there are some frozen Indian dinners in the supermarket by a company called Ethnic Gourmet. They are sort of small, at least for an appetite like mine, but they taste pretty good and you can experiment without spending a fortune. I like tandoori chicken and channa masala (chickpeas in a great tasting sauce) and there is another one that I am forgetting the name of but is a creamy spinach dish.

McDuff, I think the yellow Thai curry would definitely have the same benefits!

Great Eileen! That way I can get an idea what it tastes like cheaper.
                          I check out WalMart when I go this week. thanks
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X