what is life expectancy for quads ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is life expectancy for quads ?

life expectancy for quads is 60 years. that is what was posted but is that a fact? i need to know how things are going to go down. will my body just go down hill '' i am 46'' 14 years left. how will i be in 10 years? it's down hill from here..................
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

it depends on your level and your age of your accident. i was told that average age was 40 for a c/6 c/7 and i was 19 years old when i had my accident. so i guess i have about two more years left give or take. so i really hope the stem cells hurry up.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Comment

dont you die early and bring down the curve. lol
      Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Comment

It depends a lot on 1) level of injury, 2) completeness of injury, and 3) age at injury. Keep in mind though that these numbers are based on people injured some time ago, when care was not as good, and they are AVERAGES, meaning that roughly half the people exceeded these ages and half did not live this long. You can expect that if you take better care of yourself, you will be in the former group rather than the latter.

(from the SCI Model Systems database):

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

well, i believe jill kinmont black is still alive....injured at 18 or something in 1959, c5? joni tada is still fine. i don't believe in stats. lost everybody in my family and then best friend, when my injury should have done me in a while ago. don't believe them.

Comment

Jill Kinmont Boothe was actually injured in 1955 when she was training for the 1956 Olympics. She was 19 at the time, so she has been injured 54 years and is currently 73 years old.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by jhope View Post
              life expectancy for quads is 60 years. that is what was posted but is that a fact? i need to know how things are going to go down. will my body just go down hill '' i am 46'' 14 years left. how will i be in 10 years? it's down hill from here..................
              The problem with the data is that they are based on people who have been injured and treated when medical care was less advanced. The only accurate answer is that with optimal medical care, you have a reasonable chance of reaching a normal life expectancy for your gender/race group.

I have been a C5,6,7 complete quad for 55 years and will be 72 next month. I have survived a partial gastrectomy, cystectomy, two leg fractures, and testicular cancer.

My advice is to live sinfully like me and God won't want you. lol
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

^^^^^^^

A good one, LOL, you really made me laugh SCIfor55years, you are an inspiration to live longer.
                Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

who is the oldest quad you know?
                  on this forum?

Comment

43 years post SCI for me, and I am 60 years old. I have no plans of going to the great beyond anytime soon!

Comment

39 plus years post at age 62. Never believed in stats or averages, we are ALL here on borrowed time. Live life everyday like it was your last!

Comment

Originally posted by jhope View Post
                        who is the oldest quad you know?
                        on this forum?
                        It appears to be me at this time. For your info, I have several quad friends whose injuries date back to the early 1960s, and they are doing well. On died a couple of years ago after a heart attack, but he had bad genes. His father and uncles all died relatively young from heart problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JGNI View Post
                          ^^^^^^^

A good one, LOL, you really made me laugh SCIfor55years, you are an inspiration to live longer.
                          Over the years, countless times people have expressed their intent to pray for my recovery, etc. I still get that from time to time and my response nowadays is that some of us might be better off not being brought to God's attention! lol

Comment

I'm 32, and I am fairly certain I will make it to 33 because my birthday is this week, but I doubt I will make 34. I am at the end of my 2-5 year window. My roommate has had it for longer, but he decided to vent. I do not want to do that.

I do not have a spinal cord injury though.

Comment

I have out lived many of my quad friends. I have a para friend that in his 70's and still working.
                              Before WWII and antibiotics I think the life expectancy of quad was like 4 months

Comment

Working...
                              X