Glide free transfer board strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokey View Post
    Fu, Because of your enthusiasm I just ordered a pack of the GlideFree transfer strips. I'll let you know how it goes. Regarding your bare ass transfers; when I transfer back to bed from the shower I put a little bit of powder on top of my Ultraslick board and then put a chux on top with the plastic side down and cotton side up....works pretty well for me.
    powder helps, lmk how u like the strips.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Kepsi, after searching and searching, I finally found a slide sheet on eBay and ordered it last week. Can't wait to see if it works!
      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
        Kepsi, after searching and searching, I finally found a slide sheet on eBay and ordered it last week. Can't wait to see if it works!
        Excellent! I really hope it works as well for you as my slidies work for me!

(And I still lol at "Kepsi". )

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          You can also put a dry towel or pillow case on between your butt and the board and it will work nearly as well (don't but the slide board inside the pillow case...the fabric needs to move with you).

(KLD)
          I can never seem to get that to work. What am I missing? If I put the towel on the board, it gets scrunched over as I transfer ..... As I start out, I am partly on the shower chair, and partly on the board.
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
            I can never seem to get that to work. What am I missing? If I put the towel on the board, it gets scrunched over as I transfer ..... As I start out, I am partly on the shower chair, and partly on the board.
            I think you need to lift your bum up and get the towel under your bum, between you and your board. That way, when you try to slide, the towel should be under your bum and should just go with you. Then you will lean over to get the towel when you need to remove it.

That's what I do with my sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by keps View Post
              I think you need to lift your bum up and get the towel under your bum, between you and your board. That way, when you try to slide, the towel should be under your bum and should just go with you. Then you will lean over to get the towel when you need to remove it.

That's what I do with my sheets.
              Yea, I end up w. it only partly under me I think. Never did get the hang of it. So I went with the powder ... and then switched to the lotion.

I should give the towel another try .... I have been using the lotion for about 3 years now, and a lot of things are much easier now than they used to be.
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Just put my GlideFree Transfer Board Strips on my Ultraslick transfer board last night. Called them up, ordered the strips and they arrived in 2 days. Two thumbs up. Unless you have a steady hand and good digital dexterity have somebody do it for you. My old lady saw me struggling with it and she got them on the board perfectly. Like Fu, I cleaned of the board with rubbing alcohol, got my measuring tape out, used a Sharpie fine point marker and marked a few spots in the middle of the board for the first strip. It was easy from there. Apply them slowly to avoid little air bubbles. I pressed them down good with my fingers and used a full deck of cards to really push it down to bond to the board. I also trimmed the corners with a box cutter to prevent peeling where I wrapped it around the bottom side of the board . Anyway, it really does improve the ease and quickness of a transfer. This morning I transferred on and off my padded commode shower chair with a chux under my butt and I really had no friction at all....very smooth. Now I don't need to put any powder on the board to reduce friction. It's only a thin film of plastic-like material called "ShearBan" but it really seems to eliminate all the friction that occurs using a transfer board. I hope it's durable enough to last a long time. $20 for five 1" X 34" strips but if it saves your butt it will be well worth it.

Comment

Those look great. I noticed you all use rectangle boards. Do you think the strips would work as well around a curved edge? My board looks like these:

http://www.theradapt.com/images/prod...oard-1a-lg.jpg
                  ~Ashley~

Comment

Yes it will work on your oblong or curved edged boards.

Comment

are you guys leaving spaces between eack strip or covering the whole board. like i dont know whut yer talking about pledging the board first. i have a rectangle pine board should i take these steps first..
                      I am not your rolling wheels
                      I am the highway
                      I am not your carpet ride
                      I am the sky
                      I am not your blowing wind
                      I am the lightning
                      I am not your autumn moon
                      I am the night, the night..

Comment

Round off the ends of the strips. Less chance of catching on the corners and starting to peel off.

I usually find an object, like a can, that is equal to the width of the tape, trace it and then cut it to match.
                        C 5/6 Comp.
                        No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                          Kepsi, I've been dying to try a slide sheet but have had trouble ordering one. (Unreal in the Internet era, isn't it?) I think it will be just what I need to help me move around my memory foam mattress.
                          You might also try cheapo satin sheets. I'm amazed how they help w/ tailbone shear!

PS-Re "Pledging" the board, for the person that asked...Pledge = a spray-on furniture polish, like you use for dusting. You spray it on then rub it in/off. It sort of lubricates the surface you put it on. LOL, you must be a guy if you're unfamiliar w/ lemon Pledge!

Don't use a board here anymore, but if I did I'd say $20 is a bargain to get one slippery. I'd go for it. Let us know how long they last!

LOL @ fuentes...wondering why cooters might be more difficult than testes on transfer boards? I've always wondered how guys work around those ball-type things!
                          Last edited by betheny; 11-30-2009, 11:35 PM.
                          Blog:
                          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of board is shown on the Glidefree website?

_____oOo_____
                            Phil C6
                            "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

They don't ship internationally
                              _____oOo_____
                              Phil C6
                              "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

hey fuentejps or anyone else that has those strips on your board how they workin for ya do they last very long im thinkin of gettin some
                                to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Working...
                                X