Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And that's the way it is" RIP Walter Cronkite

"Uncle Walter" is gone.

So sad that we are coming up to the 40 year anniversary of the first man on the moon, and one of the people most excited by that event is now gone. I will always remember him for the following:

Holding back tears when announcing JFK's death to a shocked nation on TV (I was in 6th grade).

His gleeful, almost lost for words, excitement when he was narrating the moon landing.

His courage to have a clear opposition to the war in Viet Nam after reporting there live and on our TVs about the war for so long.

He was a sailor and a kind man from everything I heard about him. He was 92 and lived a good life. He will be missed.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 18 Jul 2009, 5:10 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

And that's the way it was.

RIP Walter. Thanks.

Comment

He reported the news while I grew up and longer. I was in the 8th grade when he reported JFK's death. You learned from him, he reported on so many topics, Martin Luther King, Viet Nam, and he reported his own opinion at one time while he was in Nam. It was unusal, he never reported his own opinion in the news.

How many presidents has he known/interviewed? It has to be quite a few.

We celebrate your life Uncle Walter, Rest In Peace.

Comment

Walter Cronkite was a journalistic giant. I grew up watching him, and I am old enough to have personal memories of all that is being talked about now. The JFK assination, the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, and on and on. When I was in high school there were a series of films we all watched in history classes that he was the narrator for, each of which gave a title, such as "D-Day, And You Are There." They always included the "you are there part, and thanks to his amazing depth of reporting you actually felt as though you were. It is such a different age now with newscaster's often being chosen based on looks and not intelligence, or newscaster's who push their own political leanings. Walter told it as it was, he could be trusted, and I am glad I grew up in an age when "uncle Walter" came into my living room each evening.

Comment

He was before my time, so I cannot appreciate this as much as others. However, I do lament his passing. Godspeed!

Comment

Todd, you would have really liked him, I am quite sure. I remember during the missle crisis he reported nearly hourly what was going on, and while it was a scary time his demeanor was reassuring. There was none of the hysterical nonsense that passes for news now. No headlines being scrolled along the bottom of the television saying things like "Mankind on the brink" or "Special Edition, Our Last few Hours of Life." It was news, plain and simple, with an accuracy that should make today's journalists blush.

Comment

Amen to that Eileen!

Comment

"You Are There" was a TV series hosted by Walter Cronkite from 1953-1957. The shows were all historical re-enactments set up like news programs, and were later marketed as educational films.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045458/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1480691

He also did a "revival" of "You Are There" during the 1970's that was on Saturday morning TV.

Here are some of his recent essays about recent historic events from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/cronkite/

Here is a good biography:
                http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php...de=cronkitewal

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

He was calmness in a chaotic world, and watching him had a soothing effect on me as a young boy. He was the personification of a good, decent man who gave it to you straight up, no fanfare. Hasn't been anybody like him since he retired, and with the media saturation of today, we'll never see another.

RIP Walter Cronkite...hopefully you won't have to report daily body counts wherever you might now be. I hated that part of the news, it always seemed to happen when we were eating supper.
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I'll never forget the end of the Vietnam War. It was a culture shock, because Cronkite and body counts were evening staples. I didn't realize ending it was an option, I thought that war was a given component of life...like Bonanza on Sunday nights, or Wide World of Disney Presented by Mutual of Omaha.

RIP, sir.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Watching the news last night was like watching a news reel of my younger years. I remember when JFK died and cartoons were pulled. Cronkite made it ok. I remember when he said Vietnam was not winnable. I remember his choked voice when he announced that JFK had died. More clearly, sitting in my uncles living room as Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon. Cronkite was as excited as a young kid. His mood matched the mood at my uncles house.

RIP. We celebrate your integrity, & honesty and you will be missed. You set the standard.

And that's the way it was.
                      Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                        Todd, you would have really liked him, I am quite sure. I remember during the missle crisis he reported nearly hourly what was going on, and while it was a scary time his demeanor was reassuring. There was none of the hysterical nonsense that passes for news now. No headlines being scrolled along the bottom of the television saying things like "Mankind on the brink" or "Special Edition, Our Last few Hours of Life." It was news, plain and simple, with an accuracy that should make today's journalists blush.
                        Yes, I've always associated him with announcing the tragic death of John F. Kennedy. I didn't know until last night the pivotal role he played in Johnson's declaration of losing America on Vietnam when he lost Walter.

Comment

RIP Walter Cronkite. He was the best of the best newscasters of his day. There will never be another one like him. I grew up watching him report the news from all over the world. I to was a child when JFK was killed & to watch him report on the first man on the moon. He was excited like a child while he was announcing it.

I missed him after he retired. He told like it was. I also like the way he signed off of a broadcast.

Comment

RIP Walter Cronkite

Comment

Working...
                            X