43 years today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

43 years today!

I debated on writing about this or not, but the fact that other people often acknowledge the date of their anniversary emboldened me to mention mine. I am not sure what I feel about it one way or the other, except that it has been a very long time since I had free mobility. I am neither bummed, nor proud, or much of anything, but I admit I do feel something akin to nostalgia, and yet at the same time I realize how much I have done from a chair and that it might have made things tougher, but not insurmountable in most cases. I am going to buy myself some flowers today, and maybe have a nice lunch out as a way of marking still another year.

Very good, you go girl!!! Wow 43, don't think I could make it that long.

Comment

You are a survivor. I can't imagine 43 years....
      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Wow, I wont say congratulations, cuz I don;t think it is quite appropriate, but when I know what you have done .... I can't imagine 43 years, I am only at 4.
        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Holy crap!!

Good for you!
          Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Wow, that's more than my life expectancy!

I wish we could meet and learn from you how you do it in person!

Comment

Long time eh, Eileen? I think I understand how you feel. I wasn't sure when my 50 th came up if I should even bring it up either. Somehow to me it was pretty much another day although to some degree, I felt some confusion about it. Should I celebrate or not were the thoughts that ran through my mind. I guess to me it was a bit of nostalgic and sad but yet happy that I had been granted these many more years of life after the accident.

Do agree with you, the nostalgia for what was does keep coming back once in a while. I believe that you should also feel proud of yourself for all the achievements you have accomplished after your injury. You have reason to. The things faced duing those years back then were hard and here you are still going at it and not quitting. I think you should have somne sort of celebration and for you to pat yourself on the back too. You deserve it.

May you have many more and may they be filled with more happiness and health. I drink to you. Salud.

Raven
              Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
              but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Aww, thanks everybody. It is nice to be able to share it here, as usually with my AB friends it just comes and goes and I never even mention it to them. Thanks for your very kind words.
                Note to Mimi......the whole life expectancy thing is meant to be broken

Comment

08/26/77 will be my 32 year living as a quady

I lived 20 years AB. It was short and sweet. I was a a tough SOB/and still am!! Lived on the edge and it caught up with me. I was given a 2nd chance/or more to live. I have made the most of it with mostly success and kicked sci ass!

It's a mind game. It will never beat me in my lifetime. I'm still in a wc, spasms, some pain with other signs of aging and I still smile It is what it is. We all have journey's in life that take & make us grow. I choose to live my with the good and the bad.

Have a good/special day
                  Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Comment

Eileen I'm glad you mentioned it. You're one awesome lady!
                    43 yrs in itself is a great accomplishment but to do it by yourself blows me away!
                    After I talked to you and you explained how you take care of yourself.
                    I was literally in awe of you and still don't know how you do it!
                    Wishing you many, many years of happiness. (hugs) Mona
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                      coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Comment

I love your plans for the day, Eileen. We acknowledge another year of living on our birthdays with flowers and nice meals -- I think it's just as important for you to recognize another year of accomplishments and life on the anniversary of your injury.

Thanks for being living, rolling, positive proof it can be done. :-)
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Eileen, I am not sure if I should say congrats or I am sorry

Anyway, I am coming up close after you in a couple of years so
                          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Thanks everybody!
                            Bente, you are an inspiration to us all, coming here, dealing with a uti, all of it!

Comment

Eileen as a fellow 40 years plus let me say congrats. Super dis we are not but we have been through quite alot over the decades. To start with, our life expectancy was much shorter than what's even predicted now. We became employed pre ADA and stayed steadily employed for decades before our sci forced us to retire. We fought for transportation and accessibility when at one time when a person with a disability was seen out they were someone who should still be sitting at home. We have also overcome becoming disabled twice as aging with our sci has robbed us, to some extent, the independence and mobility that we fought so hard to acquire when we first got injured. Let's not even forget the fact that we only got a small taste of an ab life before it was snatched because we were so young at the time of our sci.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not all cheery and gay, I have my moments of depression and wishing it could have all been different, but it is what it is. I'm not saying we should be happy or bitter with our sci or even feel super dis, but let's face it, every decade brings it's gift. lol Without getting into it here I'm proud of my accomplishments as you should be as well. I don't believe just because we're retired that that's the end of it. People like you and I will still be out there, wheather it's through recreation, travel, family or even activism. God knows there's still lots more to be done. With the new millennium it's not just care that is getting the attention now it's cure.

I'm 41 years this year, wish I could say that was my age lol but when and if I hit the half century mark I will celebrate. I think we should start a club for us oldies. There seems to be quite a few of us here on cc. We could call it the 40+ club.

I hope we somehow some way get to meet in this life. Until then I hope you enjoyed your day and many more anniverary days to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X