Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time of your day aware of your disability (rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    I ussually never think about it. Then ill just be sitting there, and all a sudden its like fuck im in a wheelchair im a gimp... i try not to think bout it.
    Thats how it is for me too. I guess cuz I feel so normal I sometimes forget I use a chair to get from point A to B, I'm only reminded I'm effed-up when I really need to get something off the top shelf.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
      bollefen,don't feel as if you don't belong.You're still "broken" like the rest of us.
      What do you mean, we're not broken, just don't function like we used to. The only things that get broken are hearts!

Comment

Just SUCKS some daze

Dear Jon-

I agree some times it seems like an ALL day EVERY day uphill GRIND.

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post
        one BIG reason www.fmysci.com exists.
        Scott- YES YES YES

F U C K MY SCI

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
          Of all the things that annoy me, I am particularly annoyed with what a large percentage of the day I am aware of and must deal with my disability
          Every waking moment is doing it disabled. Some things are much more easily learned, but the disability factor is always present. Nothing is the same.

And, I'm only a para.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
          - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
            Thats how it is for me too. I guess cuz I feel so normal I sometimes forget I use a chair to get from point A to B, I'm only reminded I'm effed-up when I really need to get something off the top shelf.
            I have to laugh because I'm the same way to a point. We had to do an emergency run to Las Vegas last week to pick up a granddaughter from the airport. My husband decided at the last minute that we should spend the night rather than drive 6 hours home. I found a motel near the airport. The room had 2 beds. I booked it.

I didn't realize I hadn't considered MY need for an accessible room until we were almost there. It wasn't a problem, my husband just asked for hc when we checked in, but to have forgotten was really kind of shocking.

Like I said in my previous post, everything I do is done with the knowledge that I am not able bodied. To forget it so quickly, after 24 years, was a surprise.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
            - Barack Obama

Comment

I tried to grab something the other night, as in I completely forgot that my hands didn't work. It was weird when I realized what I was doing. You'd think I'd know myself better after 8 years.

Comment

yup

this is me.
                Originally posted by wtf View Post
                L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
                ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
                Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
                The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
                  I tried to grab something the other night, as in I completely forgot that my hands didn't work. It was weird when I realized what I was doing. You'd think I'd know myself better after 8 years.
                  yup. I know the feeling. I recently attempted to flick a bug off a table. I lowered my hand to position, but then it dawned on me...

but all at once.

weird for sure.

Comment

too goddamn much

Comment

Eileen - I like your comment, " A lot more complicated life than lacing on a pair of Nike's and just doing it......."

Keps - Well said...
                      Main thing is peeing. Do I need to pee? I wonder if my bladder is getting full? When did I last pee? What have I drunk that might be coming out soon? Is that headache because I need to pee? Have I just peed myself? Have I got a cath close at hand? Ugh.

Actually, I have been trying to think of activities when I forget about it. Really, it is anything that doesn't entail movement, like watching movies, viewing sunsets, reading, using the computer and cooking (at least as a para). The only problem is that the stuff I REALLY liked doing required movement. Walking, running, skiing, climbing, hiking, cycling, rowing.....Ughhh

Comment

I try hard to not think of myself as a paraplegic, but there are constant reminders:
                        pain
                        not being able to reach anything
                        other peoples reactions
                        mirrors
                        and lately my chair has been squeaking making traveling through the office anything but inconspicuous
                        KB

Comment

Arndog, sorry I missed this originally -- it's a subject that's never far from my mind.

Although this piece was written about having a chronic illness, it translates well to living with a disability and dealing with chronic pain. It's been used by me and a lot of my friends with a Chiari Malformation or Syringomyelia to help ABs try to understand.

The Spoon Theory (This is in PDF Format)
                          It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Everytime i see steps,or going cruising a half a block past my van..then a half back to my van cause the curb cuts at the end of the walk and not the middle!

Comment

when I'am with other kids and they are doing all the things I can't for now. I feel left out but I just try to do what I can and keep knowing one day I will run, and be able to climb the big rock.

Comment

Yes, I think about it often. On top of worrying about peeing, pooping and pain I also have type one diabetes so I'm constantly thinking what is my blood sugar, why is it high (it's always high), is my blood sugar going low, is it going high, do I need to change my pump site (I use an insulin pump), is there something wrong with my pump site, how many carbs are in that, did I bring extra insulin and supplies, etc, etc. My brain is pretty much always on overload.

Whatever your condition or disability people say "it gets better" and it some ways it does. You learn to cope and become more knowledgeable about it...but the constant daily stuff you have to deal with day in and day out never gets easier.

But then I've been in a rough patch for a while now. As far as SCI stuff goes I probably honestly don't spend that much time thinking about it, especially when I'm busy at work and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X