"Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

Recently a friend of mine sent out an e-mail blast advising her friends not to leave her voice messages when calling her cell phone because she will delete them without listening. She stated her preferred means of receiving messages was via text--no exception. I thought that was a bit over the top, but then 8 other people replied and expressed the same sentiment--"don't leave voicemail on my phone because I will not listen to it."

Is this the beginning of the end of verbal telecommunication as we know it? Are we to become a nation of button pushers who don't know how to properly express themselves because pushing buttons makes communicating all to easy?

I notice that some people I know send me e-mail just as if they were texting--with crazy symbols and grammatic abbreviations. Probably a bad habit that needs some breaking.

So CC people what about you?

"Do u h8t3 VM 2?"
    T3xting all day
    22.89%
    Please leave a message
    42.17%
    Doesn't matter
    21.69%
    I don't even own a cell phone
    8.43%
    Why bother when you have Facebook?
    4.82%

I don't like when ppl leave me voicemail cause it costs me money to check it. Usually if I see a missed call, I'll call them back without listening to the voicemail.

Comment

In China, leaving a voice message is insulting, particularly if you are doing it to a person of a social rank above you. Most Chinese prefer text messaging. Also, texting in Chinese is much more space-efficient that in western alphabet because each character is a word. What you do is type in the sound of the word (using a system called pin ying, which means to match sounds) and the cell phone will automatically come up with the characters.

Interestingly, voice mail has the same deficits as emails. In China, they prefer live exchanges and texting has more of a live quality than emails. Interactive bulletin board, conference calls, and voice-to-voice exchanges are okay. But, there is no substitute for face-to-face. In the end, if there is something that is important to communicate, it is best done face-to-face and preferably over a meal and alcohol.

http://www.gonomad.com/readuponit/20...-in-china.html

Wise.

Comment

VM is a hassle..txt me plz =)
        Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

I want a voice mail. Not some text that my cellular service will charge me for. Nor to I particularly appreciated the destruction of the spoken sentence into characters and weird abbreviations.

Comment

I prefer getting voicemails. They're forwarded to my email address in transcribed form, along with an embedded player to listen to the them.
            ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Texting is still the most informal method of communicating, IMO. I prefer email or VM.

Wise - interesting re: China. Huh.

Comment

I'm the opposite, i delete any text messages people send me without reading, i don't do the texting stuff. they can leave me a voicemail or call back, but usually i always answer my cellphone

I prefer email, but tell people to call if urgent
                Last edited by brucec; 31 May 2009, 8:15 PM. Reason: added
                We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Texting amongst friends/family. Email or Voicemail otherwise.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I hate voicemails. I know someone has called and I would rather just call them back as to have to listen to a voicemail.

I prefer texting.
                    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I pretty much keep in touch with everyone i know though texting. dont even have a voice mail. and phone calls are pretty much limited to grandparents, business, or really important stuff.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

Comment

I hate texting mainly because I'm a quad and I'm not fast at it. I dated a guy who would text me all day after about the 10th message, my fingers got tired and I had to make excuses that I had to go, we did talk but only when he got off work or during a break. Voicemail works for me but I also won't check a voicemail if I don't recognize the number since spammers can now call your cell phone.
                        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

texting = wasted energy...

Comment

Wait a minute...isn't this the reason why we have the damn phone to begin with? So we don't have to send letters?????

I simply don't get "texting"...call me and tell me what you want...otherwise, leave a message..

Comment

I AM NOT A TEXTER, but it has its place in technology, and there are times i prefer a text than a call or voice mail.
                              one thing about text, it is faster to get the info , this can be important if your in nyc in and out of a subway , on the way to meet someone.
                              if they call , it may go to vm , now you have to stay above ground nad try and listen to the vm, there is no reception in the subways.
                              a text works much btter in this position, i m 15 minutes lates, i can read that and still catch the next train, if it was a vm i may miss the next train, and i may ne 30 minutes late at that time.
                              so for that tech stuff ut works great, also text messaging will receive and send in many areas that the voice reception id cutting out.
                              the big rip off with the phone companies, txt is free , it is using free not billed space, they are making a killing on this text craze, we are getting really ripped off
                              cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                              X