I just had something terrifying happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had something terrifying happen

I'm still processing this as it just happened 30 minutes ago, but I just went down my 6 or 7 porch steps in my iBOT. And I was not in stair climbing function. Luckily, I'm not badly injured. I have lots of scrapes and my wrist is swollen and bruised, but nothing else has swollen up. That was so fucking scary though. Have you ever unintentionally gone down stairs in power chair?

my biggest ouch.

Comment

Ouch! Wow Shannon, I am glad you were not hurt any worse than you are. Keep ice on your wrist for awhile. So far I haven't accidentally gone down stairs in my power chair......and I don't even want to think that I might! Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Never ever! Guess it's a hazard w/ the iBot. just like not turning off one's joystick near curious two year olds or large dogs with cold noses
        Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I have not. But have also heard of people getting hurt doing this. Also, some powerchair users get hurt when one side of their chair slips off of the sidewalk curb into the street, whipping them onto their sides the break arms or smack heads, not to mention the danger of laying in the street.

I'm glad you are not more badly hurt. Keep an eye on things, especially anywhere you can't feel that might be hurt without you knowing. That arm may need an x-ray to be safe.

I'm very scared of my stairs. Any time I am near the top of them before bringing up my platform lift and catch myself not being 100% focused on my position relative to them I scold myself.

Comment

Whats an Ibot? I think I know but am not quite sure. And how did you do this again. I'm glad you're ok, did you fall out of your ibot and tumble down the stairs. Take care of your hand it looks like its going to be sore.
            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

OW! Did you stay in the chair, or fall out? I would have been worried about the chair landing on you. Glad you are ok. I agree lots of ice!

wtf .... click on the link in her signature .... there are pictures there.
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Sorry for your wreck. Bad as it was. glad it wasn't worse. Ice, aspirin - and think about getting checked out by a doc ASAP, just for safety sake and peace of mind. Any bumps on the head?
                Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

wow that thing could have crushed you, glad your okay
                  Injured:10-16-04
                  C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                  Blog:
                  http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                  Facebook:
                  http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                  Progress:
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                  My drawings:
                  http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

OUCH!! I hope your taking care of yourself. I don't want to try this myself, ever. Take care'

Comment

Dayyum, Shannon! The ibot giveth and the ibot taketh away!

I am extremely grateful this didn't go to the worst possible scenario.
                      Blog:
                      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                        OW! Did you stay in the chair, or fall out? I would have been worried about the chair landing on you. Glad you are ok. I agree lots of ice!

wtf .... click on the link in her signature .... there are pictures there.
                        Thanks sjean, I wasn't sure what the ibot looked like, I didn't know it looked like a regular power wc I thought the user always used it in the upright position (like standing). Like you I wondered if the ibot followed down the stairs - scary thought but Shannon looks ok except for some bruises.
                        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Physically, other than my wrist, a scraped up knee, and a scraped up shoulder, I think I'm fine. Emotionally, I'm so freaked out. That was so incredibly scary. I can't stop crying. BUT, I'm SO thankful that I wasn't hurt badly.

I went down all the steps still in the chair. Amazingly, the chair did not tip over at all. It landed in the driveway right side up and i landed on the ground beside it.

This has been one of my biggest fears since I got my iBOT. I always thought I'd be very badly injured if it happened. As I was headed for the steps I screamed, "NO NO NO!" And then I started going down the stairs and I thought I was done for. Somehow I managed to not even bonk my head.

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
                            Thanks sjean, I wasn't sure what the ibot looked like, I didn't know it looked like a regular power wc I thought the user always used it in the upright position (like standing). Like you I wondered if the ibot followed down the stairs - scary thought but Shannon looks ok except for some bruises.
                            It can be in standard function and it looks like a regular chair that way. That is what I was in when it went down the steps. It can also go into 4-wheel drive or balance.

Comment

Can't you get an airbag for that thing?
                              Doh!

Comment

Working...
                              X