Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the best you can, and don't kiss the pavement! Best of luck- Pam

Comment

I looked you two up in the Sun this morning. Congrats I say, toot that horn!
      'hope the constitutional law exam went alright.

Comment

Glad to see you back in the race. Hope it was an amazing day for you.
        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Thank you, everyone! My goal for this 10k was to make it under an hour, but to be truthful, my real goal was just to finish it. Pushing to the startline from where we parked was nerve-wracking because it was all uphill and I realized how differently I now push since I've lost the ability to bend most of my spine. Instead of flexing my entire spine, I'm now pushing mainly with my upper back and mostly with my arms.

The highest adrenaline rush I have ever experienced during a race was going downhill, pretty much after the start. It was the steepest hill I've ever raced down and I clocked 64 km on my CatEye. I was racing down so fast that if I were to shift my weight even a little, I would have wiped out. It reminded me of those drag races where the slighest shift in movement causes the racecar to spin out of control.

The kissing-pavement hill I spoke of was truly horiffic, and although I had been told nightmarish stories about it, nothing could have prepared me for how brutal it actually was. I actually slowed down to moving maybe an inch a minute. I did keep moving though because it felt like if I were to stop to rest, I'd roll backwards. There were people who were cheering me all along, including a cop who was working as a marshall (race marshall) at the top of the hill. I think they all could see the pain on my face. Ha ha. Making it up and over that hill was probably the most fulfilling thing I have done in a very long time. It felt somewhat like a metaphor because the last two years have been an uphill battle and getting over that hill physically made me feel like I'm ready to take on anything that will come my way.

My finishing time was 51:26, so I made it under an hour, and finished faster than my very first Sun Run, which is a relief because at least I'm not starting completely over again. It's a huge difference from my best time, but I am absolutely stoked and I can't stop smiling. Now I've befriended Ibuprofen and I'm looking forward to my next 10k which is next Sunday.

Comment

You are amazing in many ways. Superstar.
            C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Congrats on your race Sounds nice with the adrenaline rush, 64 km is fast enough
              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Wow,that's an amazing time!I'm glad you did and feel so well,good luck on your next race!

Comment

Great news, Kiran! Keep at it and you'll be bringing gold home to Canada soon!
                  ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Great result! And all those wellwishers from CC brought you dry weather contrary to the forecast.

Curious to know what street the steep hill is on.

Comment

Color me impressed, Kiran, especially with your conquest of the PK Hill. Atta Grrl!
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Way to go girl. I bet it felt amazing to finaly be back doing what you love. I've always found that when injury/health problems keep me away from sport the comeback events - where you arnt totally focussed on a certain time or outcome- remind me just how much I love it.

Hope your exam went well and that you go well in your next 10km
                          "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

Comment

I'm happy for you Kiran but not the least surprised at the good result. Your muscles will develop with your new style but your spirit is always in top form.

John
                            "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Congratulations as soon as I read your post I went to the website to see how you did it was great to see that you had finished the race; as you had said you were worried about just doing that. I myself can not see me going almost 40 mph in a wheelchair be it a racing chair or not; just going down the ramp at work I almost have a death grip on the push rims. I am sure your time for the race this weekend will be even better

Comment

Amazing, but no surprise to me. Way to go, K!
                                Blog:
                                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Working...
                                X