Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do apartments with roll-in showers exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do apartments with roll-in showers exist?

my girlfriend and i are in florida and over the past couple of days must have called and looked at over 50 apartments, no sign of a roll-in. has anyone come across one...anywhere. forget florida...i'd be happy if someone could tell me they've seen one anywhere in the united states.

I went 2 years getting bed baths because I lived in apartments without showers. Hell, the doorway was too narrow for you in my chair to get back in there so I was never even in those bathrooms. Good luck finding one
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

They exist, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Just try to find a bathroom where you can get through the door at all, and look into a slider tub chair/commode combination if possible as this is nearly as convenient as a roll-in.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

there are roll-in's in apts in MN, but only in subsidized housing.
        May the fetus you save be gay

Comment

hotels

Comment

I had one during my undergrad days, but only b/c I approached the apartment complex management w/ a special request during the building phase. I think they converted it back to a normal tub after I left.

Comment

Under the ADA you can put one in (or make other mods you need) but you have to pay for it, and the property owners can demand that you put it back to "normal" when you move. But if you can find a tenant who needs one to move in as you move out, you might get away without having to restore it.

Comment

Scorpion,

I'm preparing to move out on my own. How sure are you that under the ADA they have to let you convert it.....of course agreeing to put it back and pay for it.

That would be awesome
                thanx
                Many Blessings,
                Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

Originally posted by josh a View Post
                  I'm preparing to move out on my own. How sure are you that under the ADA they have to let you convert it.....of course agreeing to put it back and pay for it.
                  It's not an ADA issue. It falls under the Fair Housing Act: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/housing/fairhousing/

Read the following PDF; your question is addressed starting on page 3: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/housing/fai...ions_mar08.pdf

Comment

josh im not sure were your at in illinois but in ofallon illinois i looked at apartments befor building my home and found some in ofallon illinois i think the name was the fountains i cant remembr i know it wasnt far from deirbergs there building new apartments out there and they do have the roll in shower i think there off frank scott parkway
                    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

That would cost a lot of money. Renovating an apartment's bathroom and then renovating it back again.

Comment

now that i've seen first hand how difficult it is to find a place with a roll-in...im thinking of maybe trying to use a shower bench....anyone have any luck making the switch from shower chair to shower bench?

Comment

Originally posted by hennyville View Post
                          now that i've seen first hand how difficult it is to find a place with a roll-in...im thinking of maybe trying to use a shower bench....anyone have any luck making the switch from shower chair to shower bench?
                          My Dad put in a roll-in shower before I got out of rehab but I haven't had one since I moved out on my own in '95 unfortunately. The transfer bench works though and makes finding an apartment easier and cheaper than remodeling the bathroom. I transfer from my shower chair after I do my program or I just get in my shower chair from bed and then transfer into the shower if it's not a day I'm doing my program. I haven't tried transferring from my regular chair (manual) but the transfer from the shower chair is pretty even with the transfer bench and I don't have to worry so much about avoiding the tires.

It can be a tricky transfer for me, and I don't always do it very fast, but it's doable. I once dropped my sliding board and it took 20 minutes or so to get back on my shower chair, so now I keep an extra board nearby just in case.

Comment

i found a decent condo in ft myers fl with nice wide doors, but no roll in shower. i couldn't find any tub benchs i liked, so i have an old e&j shower chair that i took the casters and back wheels off of. i set it in the tub and it works great, except for scratching the hell outta the tub. i don't have the strength to transfer to it, so i use a voyager portable ceiling lift by bhm medical. i live by myself and have not had any problems remaining 100% independent.

Comment

It is crazy that landlords who will give you permission to modify at your own cost would then require you to put it back the old way when you move out, but yes, they have the right to require that.

When we have discharged active duty military SCI patients to our local large military base, the military housing authority has modified their bathrooms to make them roll in. Once the person moves out of military housing (they have up to 2 years if they are OEF/OIF returnees) then the military pays to unconvert the housing and put it back as inaccessible. Only once were we able to prevent that and that was only because we were able to seamlessly move one SCI patient's family in the same week another was moving out. Your tax dollars at work!!!

Anyway, a slider tub chair system, while expensive, is much cheaper than putting in a roll-in shower, and has the advantage of being easily usable for travel as well. Check out the www.Nuprodx.com line of these (they are the nicest and most durable).

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X