Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old "sayings" not sure what you call them. Got a favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's maybe an Emerson quote but so appropriate for every politician.

"What you do shouts so loud I can't hear what you are saying."

Comment

Jess is having a hard time with a "friend". She has two kids and he says he cant get involved with a girl with children. I texted him asking him just that. "Do you think it is simply because she has children". He texted back "I dont know". So I, wanting to be silly , texted back "What will be will be. If it was meant to be... Absence makes the heart grow fonder you know". He texted me back "That was the dumbest shit I have ever heard."

Comment

They've also been called proverbidiums.

Here's a new one:

When you have your health you don't give it a second thought. When you don't have your health it's your only thought.

Onward and upward.

Comment

Tony Romo used this often in his after game press conference "it is what it is"

this is fitting "out with old and in with new"

put up or shutup
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

couldnt pour piss out of a boot if the directions were wrote on the heel

sex is like air, not that important unless your not getting any

Comment

It's colder than a well diggers ass.
              Nervous as a prostitute in a church.
              Don't throw the baby out with the bath water
              I'm sweatin like a whore on a battleship.
              Fish or cut bait.
              If you're gona talk the talk, ya gotta walk the walk.

And my late Father always told me to "never critacise a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes."

Oh yea, forgot to add, go piss up a rope, a cold day in hell and when pigs fly!

I use adages all the time and love them.
              Last edited by Princess "Leia"; 3 Jan 2009, 8:53 PM. Reason: added a few more

Comment

do not penetrate if you are not ready.
                Every day is not holiday.

Comment

Life is a one-way street ~ Bernard Berenson

Comment

Minimize the faults of others, if you would have them minimize the faults in you.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

It is not gold all that shines

Don't go over the creek after water

Behind the clouds, it is always sunny

Equal children play the same

To eat like a horse

One child is like none, two are like ten

The work enobles the man

When the sun goes down in west, the lazy people work best

I don't remember more Norwegian sayings just know
                      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Some more translated:
                        • One at the time said the old lady, when the wolfs was all over her.
                        • One should be aware when it comes to small womens and small swigs.
                        • Our lord makes the day, the old lady the dinner.
                        • When happiness is at it’s best, one must pay attention the most.
                        • One egg is an egg said the lad, and took the biggest one.

Comment

I dont think Dogger would have minded me pinching one of his lines...it cracked me up big time when I first heard him say it.

" I am so unlucky.....if it was raining virgins I'd be washed down the drain with the only Poofter!"

ps..apologies if I have offended anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by marielea View Post
                            when ordering a very rare steak....'slap his horns off, and wipe his ass'.
                            My grandpa liked his steak "chased around the yard with a torch".

He also said "You only cut a pie to make it easier to eat" (Ie .... he was going to eat the whole pie) and

"Thank god for this snack, many a man would have called it a meal."
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
                              Some more translated:
                              • One at the time said the old lady, when the wolfs was all over her.
                              • One should be aware when it comes to small womens and small swigs.
                              • Our lord makes the day, the old lady the dinner.
                              • When happiness is at it’s best, one must pay attention the most.
                              • One egg is an egg said the lad, and took the biggest one.
                              LOL, I have never heard any of them, do we have different proverbs from east and west?
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Dunno about from east to west, only from man to women

Comment

Working...
                                X