No announcement yet.

Wheelchairs and Snow How Do You Do It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about living in New England is that it is a trade off. We don't get mudslide, or firestorms, scarcely an earthquake or tornado, BUT we have to put up with snow. It is a bitch, plain and simple. It does corrode the wheelchair frame eventually. I live in a condo now so instead of coming directly to my unit (hardwood floors!) I spend some time trying to be casual about it as I go up and down the carpeted hallways in the common area trying to get as much of the wet and salt off as possible.

Comment

We have hardwood to, I've always just put a towel down and melted on that. Before I come in if I'm really snowy I use a hand brush to swipe it off. Really deep snow you have to do a wheelie through or you'll just plow.
      Andrew

Comment

But I can't make a wheelie for 200 meters. I have a Permobil Trax and it is working great in snow but is not very helpful because it is 200 kilograms and nobody can lift it up and down the stairs to the shops. And the turing radius inside is terrible, no shop is big enough, not the farmacy or my doctors office.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I live in a ski town year round. I use two chairs, one summer and one for winter. In the summer I use a Quickie Titanium and in the summer I use the iGlide. With the iGlide I can go through about a foot of snow (if it is not wet snow). Most of the disabled ski team that trains and races here just use regular chairs and mountain bike tires and are able to wheele through the snow with not problem if it is not to deep. I have only gotten stuck once when I could not get up my ramp, I think we had about a foot and a half of snow, I pulled out my cell phone and called a friend and got out just fine and into my apartment. Being a ski town they keep the roads and sidewalks very clear.

Stevie P

Comment

It is a bitch, wheelchairs and snow don't mix very well together unless your on a smooth plowed surface. Having a chair like this might help.
            If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Comment

What the???? who makes that or is it a home made job, gawd that is awsome for huntin'.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin'guy View Post
                What the???? who makes that or is it a home made job, gawd that is awsome for huntin'.
                www.lashersport.com

Comment

Tire chains maybe

More info on DIY tire chains as seen in the video.

Comment

This model would be less harsh on your wallet. It's made by Invacare (Top End). Seen it at the ability show this year and I'm kicking myself for not buying one at demo price.

Comment

I am not strong enough for that more than half the way to the shops. I think that is only useful for 50 meters
                      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

wow, look at that snow chair. that is cool.

Comment

I havnt been out except to the car for weeks. I get cold too easy. and it takes hours to get warm. as soon as I start to shiver I have trouble walking, and breathing. I get out of breath, so even with hardly any snow, its been too bitter to go out in. I always use a cane, and hang on to someone these days. unless im standing still. I hate trying to get warm. I went to the highschool presentation, and it took hours to feel warm again. then to friends for christmas day. their house was freezing. and it was so cold outside. I was too cold to feel anything but misery. no lie, It took hours to feel warm. I had to make a bath, drink hot tea, and stay in a blanket. so any cold keeps me in. poo. I cant stand it at all. I used to ride my horse in the snow. and spend hours out but now I shiver very fast.

Comment

I'm pretty much house bound, but I'm pretty much house bound anyway since I don't drive. tired of this crap.
                            www.myquadriplegia.com

Comment

I do reasonably well in the snow except when it's slushy. That being said the older I get the less tolerence i have for winter.

Comment

As my brother says & I keep forgeting the biggest issue with wheelchairs is the front castors bogging down, it definately helps to have as much weight as possible on the rear wheels & keep the front end light.

Comment

Working...
                                X