Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no jail time for this...

No jail for woman who let disabled man sleep on fire ant mound

WACO, Texas (AP) - A judge has ordered a 10-year probation term for a Robinson woman who let a mentally disabled man she was caring for sleep on a fire-ant mound.

Sixty-five-year-old Carole Laura Jacobs also must do 400 hours of community service.

The Waco Tribune-Herald reports the 71-year-old man was using a walker June 9 when he fell in the woman's back yard. Defense attorney Thomas West says Jacobs could not get the man to stand, so she gave him a blanket and they spent the night outdoors.

http://www.kfdm.com/news/year_29228_..._disabled.html

I agree with not sending her to jail, what good would it do?
    Most importantly, she should not be allowed to be a caregiver, I'm assuming that was part of her sentence. 400 hrs of community service is ten 40 hr weeks, good amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by DA View Post
      The Waco Tribune-Herald reports the 71-year-old man was using a walker June 9 when he fell in the woman's back yard. Defense attorney Thomas West says Jacobs could not get the man to stand, so she gave him a blanket and they spent the night outdoors.
      It doesn't sound like she did something horrible intentionally. It says, "She gave him a blanket and they spent the night outdoors." How evil!

Comment

You're disappointed because the state did not seek revenge. Interesting.

Comment

I guess 2 million in prison isn't enough.

Comment

10 years probation and 400 community service hours seems awfully stiff to me!
            Dave
            C5/C6 complete
            http://www.davegrotzinger.com
            http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Comment

For a mistake?

In that case, I would be due for parole in five years for my sci mistake

Comment

I think her punishment was just, maybe even alittle harsh.
                T6/T7 Incomplete Since June 7th 2008
                Walking part-time with KAFOs & Walker
                *Never Quit Pushing*

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=20290962

Comment

Wow! Ya, she pulled a "stupid", but it also sounds like very poor training. I wonder what the rest of the story is? It was probably the girls first week at work or something. I'm really glad the old guy wasn't hurt significantly.
                  "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

Exactly! Doing something stupid and out of ignorance isn't a criminal act with malicious intent.

Comment

Originally posted by watchthisbaby View Post
                      Wow! Ya, she pulled a "stupid", but it also sounds like very poor training. I wonder what the rest of the story is? It was probably the girls first week at work or something. I'm really glad the old guy wasn't hurt significantly.
                      "girls first week"? Watch, she's 65. He's 71. I'd say she should have retired or been acting as a companion aide to an older woman--indoors. She did stay with him which was amazing. Why do I get the feeling this agency tells them 911 is not a friend? Or she really needs a job still and was afraid to call anyone but a friend for help and they're all asleep by 7pm. I sure hope the community service is light duty like stapling flyers at a seniors center.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I'm not sure why she didn't call 911 to get help standing him up, but it sounds as though she didn't do anything intentionally, nor did she leave him alone. Stupid, yes, but it doesn't sound criminal to me.

Comment

It makes me so thankful that I'm able to direct my own care. Laws are very strict and pretty unforgiving imo (in Wa anyways) when caring for children, elders, and anyone with a diability. They're set up for the greater good, but mostly so any agency or person licensed through the state becomes the fall guy in the event of a lawsuit. I mean gawd forbid any poor social worker actually have a managable case load to be able to check on their clients.

We all know $#!T rolls down hill.

Sue I'm a complete goofball (haven't been sleeping a lot), I missed it where they paper stated the lady was 65. It also said this transpired at her house, and she worked for an agency. So I don't get it, does Texas have like adult foster care? I'm just trying to figure out why the client was at her residence unless it was like respite or something
                          Last edited by watchthisbaby; 18 Dec 2008, 12:31 PM. Reason: DUH
                          "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

Working...
                          X