Do you want children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie View Post
    ... There are lots of things that maybe I can't do, or do as easily, but I don't necessarily think that it's gonna ruin my kids' lives if I can't walk. It hasn't totally ruined mine so far anyway.....
    I agree 100%. Plus, I've noticed with my kids, they don't see other people as just disabled, they can see the person.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

I had debated about having another child because I am so tired and it does take a lot for me to get through the days with my now 4 year old. Thankfully I was able to put her in kindergarten and that has helped a great deal. I was apprehensive about labor and if there was a possibility that it would somehow make things worse. I had my second daughter on Oct. 13, 2008 by c-section and so far so good. The only difference is that it took a bit longer in recovery to regain feeling and movement in my legs after the surgery was completed. I was actually in recovery for longer than the it took to do the surgery. Of course, I'm sleep deprived and I have not been able to keep up with my strengthening program (due to contractins at about 26 weeks on) so my strength has decreased somewhat. My rehab doc wants me to come back in 3 months to resume strengthening.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie View Post
        Having kids is probably one of the things I look forward to most in my life. I can't imagine giving up that dream.

I already know how to deal with kids post-injury with so many nephews and nieces running around, plus my friends' kids. There are lots of things that maybe I can't do, or do as easily, but I don't necessarily think that it's gonna ruin my kids' lives if I can't walk. It hasn't totally ruined mine so far anyway.....
        Some parents can walk and some can't. Some parents can sing and some can't. Nobody can do everything with the children. I can't draw either, but I can sing and I can cook
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
          Never a truer word spoken!
          Indeed. I love my nieces!

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
            Some parents can walk and some can't. Some parents can sing and some can't. Nobody can do everything with the children. I can't draw either, but I can sing and I can cook

And most of all, you loved and and still love your children in a big way. That matters most of all.

Comment

All kids really need is someone they can completely trust, who is willing to give them their full attention. Beyond that the details don't really matter.

Comment

05survivor, congratulations on your new arrival, we will all look for pictures soon.
                C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Im 33 and 15 months post injured, to have a kid now 'no'! But once im settle down with a good routine and a great woman in my life.. No doubt i want one atleast.. Boy or girl! I have no kids and i would love to have one with my dna not that im not open to having met a woman with a kid but prefer that the kid be at the age of 3 and up! So that it can grow accepting me as a step daddy that was there for him/her. I expirence the teens denial of having to accept rules that they never follow cause their daddy was a dead beat and was never there to teach them the values of life...
                  life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Comment

I had always planned to have kids before I was hurt. My partner and I were waiting until we were both done school and build up some financial resources working.

Now I don't think that won't ever happen and it saddens me greatly. But others have said to me that there are always lots of children out there who need loving homes, especially older ones, and that would be something I would like. But I am not so hopeful I would ever get approved to adopt given my injury level and health issues. Having a family of my own is kind of a sensitive issue with me and tends to provoke strong emotions.

I do have 10 nieces and nephews ranging from 6 months to 10 years old and they do bring me a lot of joy that takes away some of the sting of not having kids of my own. And have to admit that I love spending time with them, I am not always so sad to see them go home when the screaming, fighting, and other misbehaving breaks out. Plus they don't mouth me off like they do their own parents and usually (but not always) are pretty good at doing what I ask them to. It really is the best of both worlds sometimes.
                    Last edited by orangejello; 24 Oct 2008, 3:13 PM.

Comment

I remmber my 2 boys. You bond with them the day they are born. I wish I could go back when they were born and do it all over again. The best years of my life.

Art

PS What happened to spell checker I need that.....lol
                      Art

Comment

I have two kids and we had our son on the day of my SCI. That was a rough time but they are worth it.

Comment

i was 37 when i was injured....we were tryin 4 or 2nd child. Havin 1 more would have been nice but i am 38 now, soon to be 39 and after my sci it would just be too hard for me and my husband both

Evonne
                          I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

Congratulations, 05Survivor.

I imagine women feel stronger about this than men might.
                            Having kids pre-SCI and seeing them through to adulthood has been my greatest pride and joy. Even through the rough times.
                            Originally posted by papito1 View Post
                            I expirence the teens denial of having to accept rules that they never follow cause their daddy was a dead beat and was never there to teach them the values of life...
                            Werd.
                            get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Pre-sci, my husband and I had been waiting for a while to have kids...I was always about squeezing in one last vacation or saving a little bit more money. We finally decided that this year's trip would be the last for a while and that when we returned we'd start our family. Little did I know that I'd be injured during the trip. In fact, the first question to the neurosurgeon was whether I could still have kids. We still plan on having kids, but will have to wait a few more years.
                              Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I would love to have kids. I kind of feel obligated because I'm the last boy in my family with my family name and I feel as though I should pass that on. Hopefully one day I'll have the chance. My girlfriend miscarried when I was 19 but that's probably for the better because we didn't last. Although if I had a kid before I got hurt, I probably wouldn't have partied so hard or drink so much and broke my neck.
                                C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                                Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Working...
                                X