Backyard chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard chickens

Are there other backyard chicken fanatics out there?

Here are some pics of our girls:

We’ve since lost one to an opossum and one to a hawk.

They are fantastic, and keep the garden beds nice and fertilized and bug free

We currently have 8 hens, which yields ~ 1.5 dozen eggs every 2-3 days.

Their feed runs ~$20.00 a month.

Last time I was at Kroger eggs were ~$4 a dozen for the non-industrially grown/tortured variety.

I shouldn’t be eating eggs, on a personal level, but with my protein requirements practicality won out over spirituality.

It’s a great life lesson for my young boys, too! They are becoming quite into the animal husbandry of it all. Waking in the morning to feed and water and let out, checking on them throughout the day, roosting them at night, etc.

And since they free range on ~1/2 an acre we have “easter egg” hunts every day!

It really is quite fun.

I’m glad I let my wife talk me into it

And NO, we are not zoned for chickens…but, we are zoned for Redneck, so it’s all good.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

That's cool. My dad is moving on to 150-ish something acres and plans on raising chickens and 'guinies'.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Those chickens are incredible. Would love to have a couple myself, although we need a backyard first. Definitely on my to-do list.

Comment

150 acres? Whoa...that'll hold a ton of peeps!

We started with 30, came in the mail the day they hatched via FedEx live stock courier.

we traded 20 to the local feed and seed guy for feed for the 1st 2 months.

it takes ~16 weeks until they start laying, then they lay ~1 per day for a year or 2, then slowly start to dwindle until they eventually become chicken salad for the wife and kids.

Then, start over with fresh chicks.

It is incredibly easy to do.

They are about a month older than in the pics and are ~2x the size.

10 of them fit nicely in the little red hutch in the pics.

They have just started to roost themselves at night, which is cool. All we have to do is close up the gate - no more chicken wranglin' before bath time each night, tho the kids thought it was much fun!

Lots of info here, for interested parties.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Cute chicks and a darling litle girl.
          She's having fun!
          My grandmother had a large chicken coup.
          I loved feeding them & finding eggs.
          Wish I was there to take some eggs off ya! lol
          I pay right at $4 doz for organic eggs.
          I bet yours are better.
          sigpic

Comment

We had chickens when I was young.The eggs were great but we ate the chickens too.Cajun life.
            Be yourself!!!
            http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
            BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
            Sponsored Athlete
            http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
            www.genegvd.com

Comment

I prefer my chickens tortured. Also, I beat the eggs before cooking for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels
                Cute chicks and a darling litle girl.
                She's having fun!
                My grandmother had a large chicken coup.
                I loved feeding them & finding eggs.
                Wish I was there to take some eggs off ya! lol
                I pay right at $4 doz for organic eggs.
                I bet yours are better.
                LOL - he is mistaken for a girl ALL the time, he's soooo damn pretty! That, and his mom won't hardly cut his hair. My 2y/o has a head full of blonde curls almost to his shoulders! What pretty little girls...i hear it all the time No worries!

Here's a shot of him, all boy (i think), with his little bro about 1 year ago:

re: the eggs, yes - we share with all the neighbors! I'd be happy to ship 'em...err...well, nevermind

They are a little smaller than the store bought eggs, but not by very much. Taste a bit eggier, due to freshness, but some have called it 'gamey', so i reckon they aren't for everyone!

Comment

Definately a boy. Sorry he's a cutey. They both are darling.
                  sigpic

Comment

dupe post...dee dee dee

Comment

I'd love to have some chickens. My neighbor used to keep them and had a huge garden when I lived in another neighborhood. My boys got the biggest kick out of feeding them and picking up the eggs. I think it is good to let kids know just what goes into producing the food that they eat. They both loved to garden and would volunteer to pick weeds for anyone who needed it just because they loved being in the dirt. They were very popular with the elder neighbors. I have a yard full of wild turkeys and deer now. I love to watch them. Birds are a great introduction to livestock for the kids.
                      Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

I got about 30, Polish, Silkies, and other's green egg layers. gonna get some guinneas for next yr, been eat up with ticks this yr and have a big place that's gonna turn into a sore on the bottom of my foot from a damm turkey tick.

Comment

whoa thats a lot! wish we had that kind of space! nice!

we thought we lost another, this time to a fox, last night.

my sons favorite - the speckled hamburg.

he likes to roost up high and can jump 4-6 feet even with wing clipage.

he must have been up a tree because he was back this morning!

Wheeeew!

Comment

Hi Daleb,

My sister and BIL raise different varieties of chickens/hens. I think she has 1 rooster, perhaps 2? She had 1 chicken that was given to her for free. It only had one leg so she named it "Peggy"... for pegleg! It got around fine. The other hens would pick or peck on her so she had her own private roosting pen.

I'm not much on eating eggs but my sister brings me over a few every once in awhile. They (the shells!) are pastel green and blue and others are brown. Green eggs and ham.

None have been lost to predators yet but they've had some close calls with foxes and the ocassional stray or wild dog and cat.

She used to visit a forum called Backyard Chickens. You might want to check it out. Just don't get so involved there that you forget about us.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/

Bob.

PS. Nice lookin' kids.
                            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

That is awesome, Daleb. I live in an apartment, so I can't have chickens (I wish I could!), but the landlord let me take a 10ftx10ft patch of the lawn for gardening. A couple people in town keep backyard hens and give me eggs, occasionally. I love them
                              "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

Working...
                              X