foolish's turn to evacuate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foolish's turn to evacuate?

NYT cover is showing Key West hospital packing up their patients in anticipation on Ike

Wesley, I had just checked Ike's projected path and wondered the same. Key West airport is due to close to 7 p.m.

Anyone heard from unFoolishO? If he's riding it out he's likely busy boarding and stocking up.

Comment

He said he would leave with the evacuation order. I suspect he is on the road now.

Comment

Howdy folks! Just got back from my favorite bar where I watched my Philadelphia Eagles defeat the Saint Louis Rams. Yeah! That was some comfort after yesterday watching my college team, 8th ranked West Virginia, get spanked by the unranked Pirates of East Carolina.

The first bands of Ike are just hitting as mild thunderstorms. We have a knife's edge situation with the possibility of the worst of the hurricane passing to the south of us. I finished storm prep yesterday, and spent last night engaging in more frivolous pursuits. Didn't get any sleep, but sure had fun.

Anyway, I will wait to see what the 5:00 am update has to say. If conditions warrant, I'm out of here early tomorrow.

Wish me luck, but save some for yourselves.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

GO BIRDS!

Be safe FO!

Originally posted by Foolish Old
          Howdy folks! Just got back from my favorite bar where I watched my Philadelphia Eagles defeat the Saint Louis Rams. Yeah! That was some comfort after yesterday watching my college team, 8th ranked West Virginia, get spanked by the unranked Pirates of East Carolina.

The first bands of Ike are just hitting as mild thunderstorms. We have a knife's edge situation with the possibility of the worst of the hurricane passing to the south of us. I finished storm prep yesterday, and spent last night engaging in more frivolous pursuits. Didn't get any sleep, but sure had fun.

Anyway, I will wait to see what the 5:00 am update has to say. If conditions warrant, I'm out of here early tomorrow.

Wish me luck, but save some for yourselves.
          And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

We are also awaiting the 5am report for a decision to shutter the store on the beach. One little tick to the north, and we will have to act fast. Even sustained tropical storm strength wind with gusts can spell disaster at this particularly windy corner. The waiting is enough to make one's hair turn grey!

Comment

I'm thinking of you, FO! Good luck.

And to you too, SoFla. I hope you don't end up grey-haired.

Comment

Sorry we had to kick your butt Foolish but don't mess with the Pirates!! Good luck!

Comment

I live in the land of REAL Pirates! Y'all whooped up on the 'EERS fo' sho'. I think the new ratings will reflect that reality.
                  Originally posted by kimmyprettyface
                  Sorry we had to kick your butt Foolish but don't mess with the Pirates!! Good luck!
                  Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Hurricanes, shmuricanes, you wusses get out of town and miss all the fun, while we Californians ride out our earthquakes
                    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

FO and SoFla, take good care of yourselves and be sure to let us know how you are doing! It certainly is an active season already. We just had the remnants of Hannah pass by New England last night. Some flash flooding and some power losses, but by the time it got here it was a strong tropical storm instead of a full blown hurricane. Good luck!

Comment

This shit is no fun for anyone who has to evacuate.

Comment

Stay safe, Foolish.

Comment

Please stay safe, both of you and any other members near that area.

Is Tampa usually a safe area? (thinking for the future here .. lol)
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Thanks for all the good wishes, friends. I got a short nap after the 8:00 pm intermediate update remained mostly unchanged from the 5:00pm. The 11:00 pm full update says that Ike went inland on western Cuba around 9:45pm, The hope is that the high pressure ridge north of Ike will stay strong enough to keep Ike in the mountains of Cuba long enough to weaken the hurricane into a less dangerous storm. The gamble is that Ike could take a slight turn to the north and get out over the warm waters of the Straits of Florida. That would be trouble for this old fool, as it would bring a very dangerous hurricane right over top of my location, and running will not be an option. Evacuation has its own set of perils. Todd is right on the money.

My best guess is that I will hunker down. A day of unpleasantness is the best scenario if I stay. I don't want to talk about the worst case possibilities. I'll just have to see what new information is available with the 5:00 full update. It's a difficult call because the margin of error is so thin, and each choice has big downside considerations. Like much in life, you only know the consequences of the decision after the fact. Everybody has 20/20 hindsight.
                              Last edited by Foolish Old; 8 Sep 2008, 1:39 AM.
                              Foolish

Comment

Working...
                              X